Nominate - 2016 Xixax Awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 19, 2016, 11:09:16 AM

Jeremy Blackman

The Basics

This will be our third year using the simplified process:

• In this thread, members suggest nominations in whatever fashion they choose.
  • Admins & mods will decide final nominees in an authoritarian yet benevolent fashion, largely drawing on this thread.
  • We'll post polls for each category, and that will be the final vote.

So let's get started!

Post your nominations here, in any format or quantity you'd like. Doesn't matter. This is an informal process. You don't even need to read the rest of this post. Make several posts if you want to; post what you can think of now, and come back for more later.

Further Guidance

Is there an underrated film you're especially passionate about, or an incredible performance that no one is discussing? We're especially interested in those unusual choices to fill out categories. If you'd rather keep it private, you can PM me nominations.

We have new TV categories this year! It's very exciting. Our one-hour/half-hour division is meant to roughly divide dramas from comedies. (Longer shows can go in one-hour.) For "Best TV Performance," simply nominate an actor in a thing (not a specific scene or episode). For Best TV Episode, we do want to get more specific. If you're not sure if a TV show is eligible, ask here; but we're going by common sense rules, i.e. did it mostly air in 2015.

This will be our second year with "Most Disappointing Film." Remember, it's not Worst Film (that's gone). What were you genuinely disappointed by in 2015? What was supposed to be good or great but just wasn't? This is for the heartbreakers. (For example, Nymphomaniac won last year.)

Here are the categories. Obviously, suggest nominations for whatever you want. One, two, or all of them. If you're not sure which category a performance belongs in, don't worry about it.

Best Film
Best Director
Best Female Performance
Best Male Performance
Best Supporting Female Performance
Best Supporting Male Performance

Best Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Original Music
Best Debut Film
Best Documentary
Best Trailer
Best Film Poster
Most Disappointing Film
Best Film of 2014 - Redux

Best One-Hour TV Show
Best Half-Hour TV Show
Best TV Performance
Best TV Episode

For movies released in 2015, consult this list!

polkablues

Ex Machina for film, director, screenplay, Alicia Vikander, and Oscar Isaac.

Aya Cash for best TV performance.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

Best Female Performance

Nina Hoss, Phoenix

Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years

Best Male Performance

Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies

Tom Courtenay, 45 Years

Mikhail Gorevoy, Bridge of Spies

Marius Kolbenstvedt, Blind

Adam Driver, While We're Young

Nina Kunzendorf, Phoenix

Robin Bartlett, Chronic

Best Director

Christian Petzold, Phoenix

Best Cinematography

Best Original Music

Mistress America

Most Ridiculous Pandering to the Chinese Government

Jeremy Blackman

Do we want The Lobster to be eligible? (It hasn't gotten a U.S. release yet, right?) I'd be fine with it. Might be tough to remember it in a year.

Fuzzy Dunlop

The End of the Tour - Best Screenplay, Jason Segal/Jesse Eisenberg for male performance/supporting.

Room - Best Picture, Brie Larson/Jacob Tremblay for Best Female/Male performance

Sicario - Director, Benicio Del Toro (not sure if supporting or not)

Mad Max - Director, Original Music

The Knick for best One-hour
Review for best Half-hour

Jeremy Blackman

*clears throat*

We need more suggestions, or it's just going to be The Lobster and Mad Max in every category.

wilder

Most Disappointing Film - Anomalisa
Best Screenplay - Phoenix, 45 Years, The Lobster, Carol, Bridge of Spies
Best Picture - same as best screenplay
Best Documentary - The Jinx

Best 30 min TV Show - Nathan for You, You're the Worst
Best 60 min TV Show - Better Call Saul
Best TV Performance - Aya Cash, Bob Odenkirk

Sleepless

Best 60 min TV show - Better Call Saul, Bloodline
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Kal

I guess no need to repeat things that are already nominated? Or do we want to start pushing favorites?

I have too many in the Disappointing section...

Best 60 minute TV show - Mr. Robot

Most Disappointing Film - Avengers: Age of Ultron, Spectre, The Good Dinosaur, Aloha, Steve Jobs

Best Film - The Big Short, Jauja (I had to)

Best Director - Damian Szifron, Wild Tales

Best Supporting Actor - Michael Shannon, 99 Homes

Best Actor - Michael B. Jordan, Creed and Jake Gyllenhaal, Southpaw

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Kal on February 25, 2016, 04:09:57 AM
I guess no need to repeat things that are already nominated? Or do we want to start pushing favorites?

Repeating and/or pushing is good. Gives us a better idea of what people like. If there's a consensus on something, it'll be nominated for sure.

Reel

Quote from: wilder on February 19, 2016, 03:51:54 PM

Mikhail Gorevoy, Bridge of Spies

I could've sworn that was Michael Keaton

Marius Kolbenstvedt, Blind

I could've sworn that was Val Kilmer

Nina Kunzendorf, Phoenix

I could've sworn that was Kristen Wiig ( in a wig )

I really didn't see enough movies last year to give everything it's due respect, but I will nominate according to what I have seen and liked

Best Film

The Hateful Eight

after 3 viewings it only gets more interesting and complex. I've developed a liking for every character despite their brutality and racism, it's probably the most I've ever discussed a QT film with anyone after viewing.

Might as well put this down for Cinematography, Director, Screenplay, Score, Female Performance, and Male Performance ( Sammy Jack ) too.

The End Of The Tour

An unexpected gem of a film. I haven't related to anyone onscreen as much as I did to Jason Segel's depiction of David Foster Wallace in years. A very low key conversational epic that I will revisit often.

Best Male Performance

Christian Bale, 'The Big Short'

Jason Segel, 'The End of The Tour' 

Walton Goggins 'The Hateful Eight'

Best Documentary

Call Me Lucky

The best documentary on stand up comedy ever made, with one of the most harrowing accounts of child abuse ever depicted. Barry Crimmins hails from my region of Central New York and played a crucial part in fueling the careers of fellow Syracusans Bobcat Goldthwait ( "World's Greatest Dad") and Tom Kenny ( voice of 'Spongebob Squarepants' ) PLEASE DO WATCH IT AND CONSIDER NOMINATING!!!!

Now Streaming on Netflix

Best Screenplay

The Last Rescue  :yabbse-wink:
The End Of The Tour 
The Big Short
Spotlight

Best One hour Tv Show

Mr. Robot

Sleepless

Ex Machina for everything.

Inside Out for stuff.

I've got more stuff on my "too see" list than I've actually seen.

TV-wise, are we counting Black Mirror for anything in 2015? The Christmas special?

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Sleepless on February 25, 2016, 11:45:42 AMTV-wise, are we counting Black Mirror for anything in 2015? The Christmas special?

Since it debuted on Netflix in 2015, I'll say "White Christmas" qualifies for Best TV Episode and Best TV Performance. Plus, it's a Netflix show going forward, so that makes sense.

wilder

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman/quote]The best documentary on stand up comedy ever made, with one of the most harrowing accounts of child abuse ever depicted. Barry Crimmins hails from my region of Central New York and played a crucial part in fueling the careers of fellow Syracusans Bobcat Goldthwait ( "World's Greatest Dad") and Tom Kenny ( voice of 'Spongebob Squarepants' ) PLEASE DO WATCH IT AND CONSIDER NOMINATING!!!!

Now Streaming on Netflix

I will watch this.

Best TV Episode

"Black Mirror" - White Christmas
or
"Better Call Saul" - Pimento aka "I know it was you, Fredo." (spoilers)

matt35mm

Best Film
Carol, The Duke of Burgundy (on Netflix now--watch it!!), Mad Max: Fury Road, The Forbidden Room, Queen of Earth, Chi-Raq, Mistress America

Best Director
Todd Haynes, George Miller, Peter Strickland, Spike Lee

Best Female Performance
Greta Gerwig in Mistress America