which Star Wars movie is best?

Started by cronopio 2, August 03, 2015, 01:09:09 PM

cronopio 2

my vote is for A New Hope.

i could do without the other five.

Jeremy Blackman

I added a poll.

My vote is Return of the Jedi.

Listen, Empire is great and everything, and I enjoy a dark movie. But Return of the Jedi has more fun, more payoff, and more iconic moments than any other Star Wars film. The emergence of Luke Skywalker, dressed in black with his green lightsaber, finally a jedi knight, is perhaps my favorite thing in the whole series.

Basically, the majority of the Star Wars things that resonate with me are in this film.

Endor is the best. And yes, I enjoy the Ewoks. I kind of enjoy them more now that I know how much they piss some people off. The Ewoks are only marginally goofier than Yoda was in Empire, anyway.

Return of the Jedi unapologetically embraces the fun of the franchise, whether it's Endor, the craziness with Jabba the Hut, or the innumerable fantastic action scenes.

Marks against Empire Strikes Back:

- Luke's training sequence with Yoda has very little replay value.
- Too much brooding?
- Lando is kind of boring.
- Of the first three movies, Empire has the fewest iconic moments.
- Dagobah is gross. Hoth is cold and monochrome. Endor, by contrast, is beautiful.

Lottery

It's a toss up between A New Hope and Empire. I have a pretty typical ranking of them.

Hope/Empire
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

polkablues

I refuse to call it A New Hope. The name of the movie is Star Wars. And it's the best one.
My house, my rules, my coffee

mogwai

The Phantom Menace. Why? It's flawless, great script, fleshed out characters, funny sidekick and not so much cgi shit.

cronopio 2

Jeremy Blackman

I'm not really a fan of the prequels, and even Revenge of the Sith wasn't great, but I have to admit this almost won me over:

mogwai

I wish George gave Ep III more depth. The last moments of that movie is so rushed.

Jeremy Blackman

On balance, you're right. In that video, 1:34 to 3:00 is breathtaking, certainly the most iconic scene in all of the prequels. Then it takes a super cheesy turn and kind of deflates.