How Did Xix Get Made? - Rollerball

Started by Reel, July 30, 2013, 10:34:58 PM

Reel

Starring: Chris Klein, LL Cool J, Jean Reno, Rebecca Romijn

Directed by: John McTiernan

Premise: The big thing in 2005 is a violent sport which can have some pretty serious consequences... like dying.

So, this is what you do:

1. Watch Rollerball

2. Talk about it here

Jeremy Blackman

This sounds good but it's only on Netflix Instant through 8/1. Might have to choose something else.

polkablues

I haven't seen the movie in 11 years, but here are the main points I recall.

1) What the fuck is going on with Chris Klein's face when he's supposed to have stubble? I'm pretty sure they literally glued coffee grounds to his cheeks.

2) What the fuck is going on with the night-vision sequence? WHY IS IT IN NIGHT-VISION? HOW IS THE NIGHT-VISION MOTIVATED?

3) What the fuck is going on with the live ratings monitoring during the Rollerball broadcasts? The producers decide to make it more violent because the ratings immediately go up whenever something violent just happened. Does the audience have a psychic connection to the Rollerball game (match? derby?) that allows them to instantly know that something interesting just happened IN AN EVENT THEY WERE NOT WATCHING AND THENCEFORTH BEGIN WATCHING IT?

4) Oh, Sayid from Lost was in this? That's cool.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 31, 2013, 12:27:43 AM
it's only on Netflix Instant through 8/1

HOLY SHIT. What are the odds that I make this thread the day before it goes off netflix instant? Maybe it just shows poor planning on my part, but I take it as a sign that this is our chosen movie. Now you must fight to see it.

Brando

I was in high school when this came out. At lunch with friends, our weird/funny/eccentric friend started to tell us about how so bad Rollerball is that it's the funniest movie he's seen in years. He had all of us on the verge of tears and barely able breath with his retelling and dramatic reenactment of the movie.

We all met up later that day to the dollar theater to watch Rollerball. I don't remember much about the plot but it is still my worst film or theater experience. It wasn't funny. It was just a horrible fucking movie and it was horrible to sit through.

Quote from: polkablues on July 31, 2013, 12:41:04 AM

2) What the fuck is going on with the night-vision sequence? WHY IS IT IN NIGHT-VISION? HOW IS THE NIGHT-VISION MOTIVATED?

I remember three things about the night vision: 1) It's really really bad night vision. How is the night vision in a big budge movie such poor quality?   2) It went on for like 30 plus minutes.   3) There is a really weird sound effect when a plane (I think) bust through a fence.

EDIT:
It was actually a motorcycle but there is a plane. Also, the sound effect is even worse than how I remember it.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

mogwai

Saw 20 minutes of it and I need to get paid to finish the rest of it.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm already getting this message:

"Sorry, that title is not available to watch instantly. Please try another title."

Seems that they were eager to get it off Netflix.

Reel

jenkins

well shit, i'll do this because people need ideas for my tombstone. idea: "rollerballed"

my last roller movie was whip it. i liked that movie. this won't be that, no. doing this because thank you to my friend reelist who i'll see in pismo beach next week, because polkablues had those great "What the fuck is going on" intros, and because Brando had funny memories and i watched ten seconds of that night vision and thought "what the fuck is going on"

my strategy will be to not follow anything i've read. i don't know what this movie is about and i'll pause it and write something when i do that

:::::::::

the mosaic media group logo is ugly and i'm worried about the movie. that's the first logo

ok better, ~

i don't know what a "bauble" is (that's how subtitles spelled the word) so i can pause and say that was a great opening. liked the titles and all that racing. truck wheel challenge! that guy got mad and kicked the other guy. i don't think it's keanu reeves. that's too bad. i miss point break. great opening.

into business:

wtf the opening credits were pre-opening opening credits. now there are credits. shady

then

ok there's an hour left and it's a movie with a bunch of nonsense that's being designed into a narrative that portrays nonsense. i get it, but this is like slapping your mother and telling her you don't like slaps. sometimes the lights and colors are pretty. i want to look up who shot this and who did production design

through a driving phone conversation a russian made an atlantic city joke to american jonathan and then the russian said something like "that's our problem. not your problem" idk man. it sure is a problem for us during this movie. great job mctiernan. the russian person is named borges, like the famous argentinian writer. is borges a common russian name? i bet so. i bet you're saying it doesn't even matter what the name is, it's about who and where you are. but what awesome referencing during this intercontinental movie, hell yeah. hell yeah mctiernan. you're sure going to show how stupid america is, by being a really smart american. where are you from? i'm imdbing -- albany new york. omg did he always have problems, what's this trivia about "Sentenced to federal prison to serve a one-year term for lying to FBI agents, after losing his appeal of his conviction in 2010 (January 15, 2013)."

a lil sexuality in the gym. ok. right. good job
she's pretty even without the pretty scar. that's. good job

oh interesting. like i said, have dug into my roller facts already
""One roller derby event at White Sox stadium had over 50,000 people."
(http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23602997/springs-native-was-60s-roller-derby-queen)

the repetition of this viewers rating theme is damaging my viewing of this movie. i get it. maybe like, idk, maybe this movie can in the meantime also think about something else also (check that out. check it. double the alsos)

awww he saves aurora but ramped over the glass. awwww

oh rightright. back to business

the night vision just occurred! i'm excited. a friend called me right now and i explained what i was doing and i explained it'd be better if i was with someone. headed to finish this story. starting with night vision!!!