The 85th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, August 02, 2012, 07:59:51 PM

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pubrick

that's as good as the Oscars get, everybody. they must've let a genius loose in the poster department.

think back to the bullshit marketing they've put out in recent years. the  most embarrassing one being the poster that had all the "iconic" movie lines,  such as the oft quoted "Frodo!" ... it was humiliating to admit to anyone you were into movies that year.

this one is fun and captures in a dignified way the only thing the Oscars were ever good for, the accumulation of useless trivia. 

so where can I buy it?
under the paving stones.

modage

It's Olly Moss. Wasn't sure this was the "official" one but if it is, that's pretty cool.

http://ollymoss.com/85th-Academy-Awards
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

i don't get it.

who's that directed to?

is it a valetines thing? is he a bum?
under the paving stones.

Tictacbk

Reel

Quote from: Pubrick on February 20, 2013, 10:41:46 PM
i don't get it.

who's that directed to?

is it a valetines thing? is he a bum?

it's obviously a bum taking advantage of oscar week to rustle up some cash!

I'd give him a dollar.

we just went from the very top to the absolute bottom of Oscar posters.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

Quote from: modage on February 24, 2013, 02:36:29 PM
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-few-thoughts-on-academy-awards.html
"try not to take the whole thing too seriously."
this is said 1039 words into the article. lol. including titles though, maybe that's cheating. plus "the other side" of this argument is as boring as any other side. it's just boring conversation. i wonder who'll win tonight

'cause today is the ultimate day of movie cattiness, i want to say you fucked up by including darling in the "bad" section. like, major fuck up.

i think you fucked up with some others in both the good and bad list, but by only mentioning darling i'm hoping to emphasize how much you fucked up that particular call. i'd also bet a fiver you haven't watched a lot of movies in that bad list, and that you used this fact, plus a lack of a legacy, as the basis for their inclusion, rather than a personal experience with the movie

modage

Never said there was a good and bad, read the post.

QuoteNow, some of these are good films and some are very good but few would argue that those selections stack up against the previous list.

I think my point is pretty clear. There are countless films that were nominated (some completely undeserving, some all but forgotten) and even more great movies that weren't recognized whose snub doesn't affect their legacy in the slightest.

polkablues

TL;DR version: the Oscars are irrelevant and always have been.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

Quote from: modage on February 24, 2013, 06:12:41 PM
Never said there was a good and bad, read the post.

QuoteNow, some of these are good films and some are very good but few would argue that those selections stack up against the previous list.

I think my point is pretty clear. There are countless films that were nominated (some completely undeserving, some all but forgotten) and even more great movies that weren't recognized whose snub doesn't affect their legacy in the slightest.

yeah, copy you on your point modage. i'm making a subpoint about your fuckup for listing darling in the second section. you might be shocked to do a little googling and discover the reaching impact of darling on modern directors

but i'm just being catty, anyway

Kellen

Reel

Joaquin is the boredest lookin motherfucker I've ever seen