Okay, admit you fell asleep or dozed off while watching...

Started by Stefen, November 10, 2010, 11:50:14 PM

72teeth

I fell asleep during Avatar, and everyone in the world likes Avatar, but i think Avatar was dumb. I'm torn on whether i should give it another shot or not.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

When I was in high school, I got a hand-me-down TV/VCR from my brother that had a sleep timer and it automatically rewound the tape once it hit the end.  This was probably one of my biggest steps in watching movies because while I'd often put movies on and fall asleep to them (thus ending up in the most bizarre dreams). I began watching foreign films more because I'd get VHS's from the library and I found that the foreign ones had subtitles.  Since I couldn't play the movies too loud, being in an old, quiet house, I began renting more and more silent and/or foreign films that I could more easily follow. 

Since then, I've found sleep to be a most amazing way to engage in a movie, especially if you somehow manage to be half-asleep the whole duration of the film, you experience it in an utmost lucid way.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

Yeah, it kind of blurs the lines between fantasy and reality, almost putting you into the movie as a result.

The Perineum Falcon

This thread reminded me of an article in The Believer a year or two ago, in their Film Issue. I tried to find it online, and tho you can only read an excerpt without purchasing the issue online (and I don't have it with me to transcribe), much of the sentiment is shared with Walrus, in that it's not neccessarily a bad thing:

THE VARIETIES OF CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE IV: On Sleeping Through Movies
by Jessica Winter

Falling asleep at the movies may seem like a passive-aggressive act against the work in question: the response as lack-of-response, the dozer's head jerking forward and back in nodding rejection of the cinema product. Under the right circumstances, though, it's an indicator that the sleepwatcher is deeply, palpably inside a well-maintained dream machine—she's falling into a movie, not out of it. Straight off a plane with my time zones jumbled, I conked out for almost the entire run-time of Carl Theodor Dreyer's witch-hunting tragedy Day of Wrath, jolting awake just in time to see old woman Marte tied to the stake and toppling into the flames. I watched the whole thing on DVD later, but that screaming shock-cut remains the eidetic, definitive experience of the film. David Lynch's Inland Empire was similarly concussive: I gasped awake to an extreme close-up of strobe-spangled Laura Dern, her smear of red mouth pulled into a rictus of disgusted terror. She and I enacted the quintessential morning-after nightmare: waking up next to a total stranger.

To be sure, I've conked out in my fair share of movies; in a variety of moods, settings and levels of inebriation. When I went to Paris for study, I fell asleep in almost every movie I saw there (Parisian movie-seats are commmmmfortable, and the temperatures inside were the perfect escape from a city embroiled in a heat wave [the trees were dying!]) This includes Batman Begins, which I've never been able to stay conscious for since, and probably never will. Other than that, there was some huge avant-garde blahblahblah going on, but who needs to stay awake for all of that?? Plus classic Hollywood westerns that i was FORCED to sit thru, tho it made it a bit more difficult to write an analysis of them.....

W. was another more recent pic that I just could not.... :sleeping:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

JG

when i was three my godmother took me to see aladdin. i fell asleep right after the magic carpet ride. every time i watched it on vhs afterwards, i stopped the movie at that point, thinking it was over. i remember the shock one day when my nana told me that the movie wasn't over, and i had to keep watching as jafar messed everything up. i had a hard time understanding why the movie didn't just end before things got bad for aladdin.

socketlevel

Quote from: Champion Souza on November 11, 2010, 11:55:33 AM
I watched Network twice and fell asleep 3 times.   :sleeping:

you should be shot...

...though i dig your honesty.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pedro

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (I was six at the time)
Enemy of the State (thirteen or fourteen)
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

Fernando

Quote from: JG on November 12, 2010, 04:01:38 PM
i had a hard time understanding why the movie didn't just end before things got bad for aladdin.

hahaha, kids are awesome.

my list

@ home:

- with every bergman
- with every godard
- just this week, rented criterion's bigger than life and saw it in three parts
- 2001, like five years ago intended to finally watch it and failed, i havent tried again since

@ the theater

- gangs of ny
- sleepers (oh the irony!)
- re-release of empire strikes back, went with a friend and both fell asleep, we woke up in the middle of it and walked out

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on November 12, 2010, 01:51:31 PM
This thread reminded me of an article in The Believer a year or two ago, in their Film Issue.

Off-topic:

The Believer is pretty amazing.

Ravi

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on November 12, 2010, 01:51:31 PM
THE VARIETIES OF CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE IV: On Sleeping Through Movies
by Jessica Winter

Falling asleep at the movies may seem like a passive-aggressive act against the work in question: the response as lack-of-response, the dozer's head jerking forward and back in nodding rejection of the cinema product. Under the right circumstances, though, it's an indicator that the sleepwatcher is deeply, palpably inside a well-maintained dream machine—she's falling into a movie, not out of it. Straight off a plane with my time zones jumbled, I conked out for almost the entire run-time of Carl Theodor Dreyer's witch-hunting tragedy Day of Wrath, jolting awake just in time to see old woman Marte tied to the stake and toppling into the flames. I watched the whole thing on DVD later, but that screaming shock-cut remains the eidetic, definitive experience of the film. David Lynch's Inland Empire was similarly concussive: I gasped awake to an extreme close-up of strobe-spangled Laura Dern, her smear of red mouth pulled into a rictus of disgusted terror. She and I enacted the quintessential morning-after nightmare: waking up next to a total stranger.

There are certain movies I actually like to watch when its 2am and I'm a little tired.  It enhances the absurd, nightmarish qualities.  After Hours, Bringing out the Dead, and Requiem for a Dream come to mind.  Its like I'm the only person in the world and I'm trapped with the movie.  I saw Eraserhead at a midnight screening.  I should give Inland Empire a go when I'm in this state.  Its a strange, almost masochistic, way to watch a movie.  Does anyone else ever do this?

Alexandro

Quote from: Fernando on November 12, 2010, 11:29:35 PM
Quote from: JG on November 12, 2010, 04:01:38 PM
i had a hard time understanding why the movie didn't just end before things got bad for aladdin.

hahaha, kids are awesome.

my list

@ home:

- with every bergman
- with every godard
- just this week, rented criterion's bigger than life and saw it in three parts
- 2001, like five years ago intended to finally watch it and failed, i havent tried again since

@ the theater

- gangs of ny
- sleepers (oh the irony!)
- re-release of empire strikes back, went with a friend and both fell asleep, we woke up in the middle of it and walked out

MY GOD, have you heard about coffee?

Fernando

Stefen

Fell asleep last night while watching 'Trouble Every Day' by Claire Denis with Vince Gallo.

I was tired and it got boring sometimes. Vampires and cannibalism is awesome, but this film wasn't going anywhere. The worst was that apparently it was on repeat, so I fell asleep around 1am, but the movie kept playing, so I would wake up every couple hours and it would still be on and I decided it was the longest movie ever.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: Stefen on November 22, 2010, 02:20:26 PM
Fell asleep last night while watching 'Trouble Every Day' by Claire Denis with Vince Gallo.

I was tired and it got boring sometimes. Vampires and cannibalism is awesome, but this film wasn't going anywhere. The worst was that apparently it was on repeat, so I fell asleep around 1am, but the movie kept playing, so I would wake up every couple hours and it would still be on and I decided it was the longest movie ever.

Haha, I almost watched that last month.  Glad I stayed away(ke).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.