L'Auberge Espagnole (Euro Pudding)

Started by Pas, May 26, 2003, 08:14:26 PM

Pas

Came out like a year and a half ago in France, but only out since 10 days in the states.

It's the kind of movie that makes you wanna live. These are rare. In my top 5 2003

And it stars Audrey Tautou, so, how could it be bad

Ernie

Quote from: BoothAnd it stars Audrey Tautou, so, how could it be bad
We're gonna get along just fine.
<-----

Yea, I really doubt this movies going to come to my town in theatres, so I'll probably have to wait for dvd....which kinda sucks but oh well. I can't bitch about my theatre since they did come through for me with All the Real Girls...I'll willingly wait for dvd.

Pas

Isn't she the best ! Beauty, brains, talent and the sexiest accent ever...what more can a man ask ?

For the DVD, I wonder if it'll be out in Canada first since we had this movie a long time ago...if so, you'll be able to order it from here since we're in the same zone.

Ernie

QuoteIsn't she the best ! Beauty, brains, talent and the sexiest accent ever...what more can a man ask ?

Nothing...she is perfect. Her accent does fucking rock...I wish I could hear her try to speak english more, that's a dream.  Is she in a lot of the movie?

QuoteFor the DVD, I wonder if it'll be out in Canada first since we had this movie a long time ago...if so, you'll be able to order it from here since we're in the same zone.

You guys are region 1? That's cool, didn't know that. I don't know if I'll blind buy this one though...I think I'll rent it first. If Audrey is in enough of it I'll think about buying it blindly.

Pas

Quote from: ebeaman
Nothing...she is perfect. Her accent does fucking rock...I wish I could hear her try to speak english more, that's a dream.  Is she in a lot of the movie?

Actually, no, not too much... (as if such a thing existed)...she's like in 15-20 minutes max.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: BoothActually, no, not too much... (as if such a thing existed)...she's like in 15-20 minutes max.

She was in about 15-20 minutes of Venus Beauty Institute and that was enough to satisfy me. ..The movie really does suck as well but those 15 minutes actually make it something....i did have a very hard time watching her undressed by a rich, old bastard. that was no fun for me....  in fact i think the only guy in a film she feels intimacy with that doesnt make me cringe spastically is Nino.

children with angels

What about the guy in Dirty Pretty Things? He was cool.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

jonas

I've been meaning to see this, it's only at one theatre in my area, so I'm going to take a journey to see it this week.

Audrey is becoming one of my favorite working actresses. She was great in Happenstance, Amelie (obviously) and He Loves Me - He Loves Me Not. I still have to see Venus Beauty Institute and Dirty Pretty Things.

She's been making some great role choices and she doesn't seem to want to get sucked into crappy Hollywood roled.

Rumour has it she will be working with Jean-Pierre Jeaunet on his next project as well.

Also, can anyone tell my why on the cover of the Happenstance DVD the picture of Audrey is from Venus Beauty Institute?
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Sal

This is playing at a local theater here, so I'll have to check it out now.  I was hesitant, figuring it was just some movie riding on Audrey's fame.  But it seems to be a lot more than that, hehe.

Pas

You guys should also check out Le Libertin (The Libertine) in which she also stars. It's a story about Diderot, but I like him very much so that might have influenced my liking of the movie.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: children with angelsWhat about the guy in Dirty Pretty Things? He was cool.
i never got the chance to see Dirty Pretty Things. i'm assuming it's fairly new?...there are a lot of audrey tautou new releases that i have yet to see due to the fucking amount of time it takes for them to be released in my area.  as soon as i get the chance though i take full advantage.

ono

Mild spoilers possible...

Just saw this this afternoon.  It was decent.  The editing at the beginning was a little gimmicky, but it set the tone, so I forgave it.  The environment was so unique, and had so many possibilities, and I felt like the film didn't explore near enough of them.  Also, Audrey Tautou was hei-nee-ous-ly (to quote Frank T.J. Mackey ;)) underused.  The film also took a lot of expected routes, making you pretty sure of where it was heading all at times.  And some of the most interesting relationships were neglected.  The best joke, which got the greatest laugh near the end, was associated with the worst character, someone who really didn't have a place in the film, I felt.

Still, though, it wasn't a bad movie by any means.  It just could have been better.

chainsmoking insomniac

Dammit, it's not playing anywhere near me.  I'll have to wait... :(

Incidentally guys (and don't get jealous) her and I were once engaged.  :wink:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pas

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaMild spoilers possible...

Just saw this this afternoon.  It was decent.  The editing at the beginning was a little gimmicky, but it set the tone, so I forgave it.  The environment was so unique, and had so many possibilities, and I felt like the film didn't explore near enough of them.  Also, Audrey Tautou was hei-nee-ous-ly (to quote Frank T.J. Mackey ;)) underused.  The film also took a lot of expected routes, making you pretty sure of where it was heading all at times.  And some of the most interesting relationships were neglected.  The best joke, which got the greatest laugh near the end, was associated with the worst character, someone who really didn't have a place in the film, I felt.

Still, though, it wasn't a bad movie by any means.  It just could have been better.

Did you see a french version or dubbed ? I guess this movie will get very uneven reviews because it can either hit you on a personnal level, like it did to me, or don't. Though I agree with you that some relationships weren't nearly explored enough ...

Was your favorite joke the talk between the english brother and the german guy (not to spoil anything) ? I tought it was funny as hell.

ono

I saw a subtitled version.

The biggest laugh for me, and the eight or nine other people in the theatre (nothing like a matinee ;)), was the scene in bed that seemed right out of an episode of Three's Company.  It involved the English sister and brother, and the American guy.