Centurion

Started by Gold Trumpet, February 01, 2010, 03:45:26 AM

Gold Trumpet

Looked for this elsewhere, but it is Neil Marshall's film Centurion and the release date is suppose to be less than a few months away, but no trailers have debuted online. All that is available are a few scattered images like this one. I liked the Descent for what it was. A horror film of that kind could not have been done better, but my appetite has been wet a little here because not only does that image of Olga Kurylenko remind me of a real Princess Mononoke, but apparently she plays someone who has seen her entire family killed and tongue cut out so she has become a vengeance driven animal. In an interview, Marshall says it's a full performance by Olga, but solely based on her physical mannerisms and no dialogue at all. Considering Olga's tough likability carried over from Quantum of Solace with me, there is a little geek hysterics to that description. This film could be the historical brutality that I said Quentin Tarantino could consider looking into. I'm not sure if I have Polanski/Macbeth expectations here, but this could be a very fun film to watch.

Anyways, quick synopsis...

The British-set sword and sandals thriller, set during the Roman invasion of Britain in AD 117, details the story of Quintus Dias, sole survivor of a Pictish raid on a Roman frontier fort, who marches north with General Virilus' legendary Ninth Legion, under orders to wipe the Picts from the face of the earth and destroy their leader Gorlacon.

diggler

this is really only a few months away? i wonder if anything went wrong.

a few more pics

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

I respect Neil Marshall as a filmmaker but I want to love him.  I didn't see Doomsday but it looked like fun trash. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on February 12, 2010, 01:26:49 PM
I respect Neil Marshall as a filmmaker but I want to love him.  I didn't see Doomsday but it looked like fun trash. 

I feel the same way... I saw Doomsday and unfortunately, you're only half right.

pete

I'm sick of heroes surviving the waterfalls.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

Huh, the description I got from that website seems to be wrong, but it also sounded like they were speculating instead of reporting too.

Fernando

Quote from: pete on February 12, 2010, 01:42:26 PM
I'm sick of heroes surviving the waterfalls.

i hear ya, although that wasn't too high..

and the trailer should say xixax award nominee michael fassbender, effing jerks.

MacGuffin

Magnolia acquires rights to 'Centurion
Film unit snags sword-and-sandal actioner
Source: Variety

Magnolia Pictures has acquired U.S. rights to "Centurion," the sword-and-sandal actioner from filmmaker Neil Marshall ("The Descent"), and plans a summer theatrical launch through its Magnet genre releasing arm.

"Centurion" stars Michael Fassbender ("Inglourious Basterds"), Dominic West, David Morrissey and Olga Kurylenko.

Magnet is launching "Centurion" as the sixth entry in the second "Six Shooter Film Series," which includes "Bronson," "Red Cliff," "Ong Bak 2," "District 13: Ultimatum" and "The Warlords." Pic is set in the Scottish highlands during the war between Roman soldiers and Pict tribesmen during the 2nd century Roman conquest of Britain.

"Centurion" is a Pathé Productions presentation in association with the UK Film Council of a Celador Films Production.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks