Chef

Started by MacGuffin, November 25, 2008, 03:15:57 PM

MacGuffin

David Fincher Directing Keanu Reeves in 'Chef'?
Source: Cinematical

It's always fun when some tasty bit of news gets tossed out online, especially when there's only a few tiny little pieces -- like a director, an actor and a title. That seems to be the case with this piece of news, via Production Weekly, who tell us that Sony has picked up the rights for a film called Chef, which will be directed by David Fincher and star Keanu Reeves. That's it. That's all we have to go by. No genre, no premise, no additional cast -- nada.

As far as Fincher and Reeves go, each appears to be available as the former is finished with Benjamin Button and is attached to only direct an animated segment of Heavy Metal, and Reeves just finished The Private Lives of Pippa Lee. The only flick that comes to my mind is the remake of Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe, but the titles are different and it doesn't seem like the kind of project Fincher would direct. So who is this chef? Where does he come from? Tell us more about this movie! If anyone out there has more info on it, definitely let us know.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

i remember meeting this dude at a bar last year who claimed his brother, a DP i never heard of, was going to shoot an adaptation of anthony bordain's "kitchen confidential," to be directed by fincher. if this is in fact true then, whoa.

modage

I can only imagine how many takes Keanu will have to do to get through one scene of a Fincher film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Details on David Fincher's 'Chef'
Source: Cinematical

I'm going to try to not blame David Fincher for choosing to work on Chef (a comedy with Keanu Reeves) over the crime flick Ness -- but I'll be real honest with you: it ain't going to be easy. MTV recently spoke with the director, and Fincher finally opened up about the cooking comedy, and provided some tidbits on what he has in store for the flick. Fincher tells MTV that "It's like a celibate sex comedy if that means anything. It's really about the creative process," the filmmaker explained. "It's truly an aromatic art-form, making food. I love that idea. And I love Keanu's passion for that world."

There had been some speculation that Fincher was going to be working on an adaptation of Anthony Bourdain's best-selling memoir Kitchen Confidential, but it looks like Chef will be an original script. Fincher tells MTV, "They decided to go ahead and make 'Kitchen Confidential' as a [television] series. This is an original script that's very funny." There's been speculation that Reeves has been developing this project for some time, and that he might have also written it -- although Michael Kalesniko's name has also been tossed around as the possible writer -- and, as to be expected, the typically secretive Fincher isn't talking.

So even though I consider Fincher a bona fide genius (and hey, I've got nothing against Keanu Reeves), there's just something about Chef that smells a bit funky. It might be the combination of Keanu and comedy, or maybe I just can't see Fincher keeping it light -- and perhaps the idea of a "celibate sex comedy" isn't very ... well, sexy. Hopefully, they're both going to prove me wrong.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.