Peter Jackson's KING KONG

Started by Spike, December 14, 2003, 01:15:38 PM

nix

I have minor complaints as well (one action set piece in particular might have been removed, the dialogue was hammy here and there), but my god, those thigns disentigrate under the power of Kong. Peter Jackson knew who's movie this was and the result was breathtaking.

Spoiler

Yeah, Kong's fall gave me fucking chills. CHILLS.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Fernando

Quote from: hacksparrow on December 14, 2005, 12:53:33 PM
That makes me excited to see it more than any other review or recommendation I've come across.

Ditto.

Quote from: Pubrick on December 14, 2005, 12:10:37 PM
winner
kong's fall.

THANKS FOR THE SPOILER WARNING P!!!

:yabbse-wink:

Quote from: hacksparrow on December 14, 2005, 12:53:33 PM
That makes me excited to see it more than any other review or recommendation I've come across.

yeah, the REDEEMS 2005 bit was emotional. can't wait for friday 10:00am. i'm watching it with a buddy of mine who's the perfect blockbuster companion.
context, context, context.

Kal

I think its the first time I see Pubrick talk positive about ANYTHING (not only movies). So this has to be damn incredible... I have to try and go tonight.

JG

awesome, awesome movie.  i saw it with my brother who loves these kinds of movies, but it was so annoying sitting next to him.

During the fight scene with the dinosaurs:  "This is gonna be up for best fight scene at all the award shows."

The movie has just ended:  "We should stay through the credits."  "Why," I ask.  "Knowing Peter Jackson they'll probably come back at the end and show another Kong being born for a sequel."  Me: "No."  "That'd be sick though."

I thought it was a little too long, but it's one of the best of the year.  I certainly didn't love it as much as Pubrick, but it was excellent.  Good fun. 

RegularKarate

I can't praise it as much as P, but it was really good.

I think the only REAL complaint is that it took too long to get to the island.  I think we could have watched then entire original movie before they even GET to the island.... but once they get there, FUCK!

SPOILERS

and the fall, I really thought I wouldn't cry, but my eyes welled up a little. 

Kong is really amazing... I had no doubt that there was a giant ape there.  No doubt at all.
Did anyone else catch the Sumatran Rat Monkey?  There were a bunch of inside jokes here...mostly about the original Kong.

brockly

Minor spoilers

The first time we see Naomi Watts doing her dance routine in front of Kong, I knew I was watching something special. This is an exceptional movie. Really the only complaint I have is that I wanted more scenes with Naomi and Kong.

The pre-journey scenes are terrific, particularly Jack Black's entrance. I loved the New York scenery and the way Jackson opens the film like a cliched period piece.

The voyage may seem too long, but I think it's necessary. The longer it takes to get to the island, the more mysterious and isolated the place feels when they arrive.

I don't feel I need to say anything about how incredible Kong was because P already has. It feels like your watching a real ape, its really remarkable.

Quote from: Pubrickhis movement, persona, and precious interaction with watts is simply unforgettable.

Indeed.

Quote from: RegularKarateand the fall, I really thought I wouldn't cry, but my eyes welled up a little

Yeah me too. I want to see this movie again right now!

modage

yeah it was pretty great.  the biggest problem being that it was a remake.  but i'll tell you, keep an eye on this Peter Jackson. he's one to watch. A-
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

Quote from: modage on December 14, 2005, 10:16:03 PMkeep an eye on this Peter Jackson. he's one to watch.
I just checked my Hollywood Stock Exchange account for the first time in years and PJACK has gone up 1,004%. JBLAC 182%. JGYLL 448%.

polkablues

Quote from: picolas on December 14, 2005, 10:43:35 PM
Quote from: modage on December 14, 2005, 10:16:03 PMkeep an eye on this Peter Jackson. he's one to watch.
I just checked my Hollywood Stock Exchange account for the first time in years and PJACK has gone up 1,004%. JBLAC 182%. JGYLL 448%.

Naomi Watts is up  :inlove:%.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

Definetly one of the best movies I've seen in a long time... Yes it was long... but entertaining all the way... and kinda knowing the story and knowing where its heading makes it good because you are waiting to see "I wonder how he did that scene" and keeps you very much into the story.

The whole special effects for the insects, dinasours, everything was unbelievable... especially the whole Island... and I loved how cool NY looked in general...

Very emotional and very well done... Naomi Watts was great and beautiful

I almost get my ass kicked cause at the very beginning I knocked down my giant popcorn, in the process knocked down my giant coke, and the person sitting infront of me was pissed... but didnt stop me or him from enjoying the great 3 hours of movie!

Reinhold

i loved it, but i don't think i would have half as much without having a pretty through background knowledge of the original.

i thought it was a great tribute to the original, having juuust enough of its own identity. high marks.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

matt35mm

Quote from: andyk on December 14, 2005, 10:56:27 PM
I almost get my ass kicked cause at the very beginning I knocked down my giant popcorn, in the process knocked down my giant coke, and the person sitting infront of me was pissed... but didnt stop me or him from enjoying the great 3 hours of movie!
It's finally happening.  You are becoming your avatar.

SHAFTR

OMG KING KONG.  Wow, I really liked this movie when it was 100 mins long, Black and White and made in 1933.

I just don't know what everyone is so excited about.  First, I'll get out of the way the things I liked.  New York City looks great.  Kong looks great, especially the close ups.  The one on one fight with the T Rex is pretty cool.  

Umm, now for the rest.  This movie is entirely too long.  The first hour of waiting to get to the Island is dumb.  It is like a disabled version of Titanic.  I just didn't care.  The tweaked storylines makes Ann less likeable and changes Driscoll from Blue Collar to a playwright.  Also, nearly every scene goes on too long.  The action set pieces go too long until they get ridiculous (SPOILERS: ..like the Brontasaursus roling down the hill...or.....three tRexes....).  Whenever a tender moment looks like it could be done well, it goes on too long and becomes painfully cheesy (the ice scene?).  Also, Jack Black was really great at being Jack Black.  I'm also glad that Jackson decided to reunite the Orange County cast together.  As for the non-Kong CGI, I was far from impressed.  Too many CGI beasts for my tastes.  The Jurassic Park dinosaurs looked better (and that was over 10 years ago).  Finally, the minor characters just added length, not depth to the film.

I know everyone here already loves it, and I might be the only one who didn't like it, but sorry, I just never really felt moved or excited.  I hope Peter Jackson continues to play it safe.  After adapting some of the most beloved books in the world, he went on to remake a classic.  Maybe in a few years he can grace us with Peter Jackson's Jaws.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ddmarfield

Spoilers, I guess.

I can't understand all the praise for all the new romantic plot between Kong and Ann. In the original Ann was both scared AND drawn to Kong. This one plays out like something out of Jerry Maguire (especially the ice skating scene). And no, that isn't a slam on Jerry Maguire.

Almost everything good about this film was directly lifted from the original, with the exception of the creepy crawly cave things, although there was originally a cut scene from the original where giant spiders attacked the men after the log scene, but was cut out because it was too gruesome. Come to think of it, they look a lot like the brain suckers from Starship Troopers.

Not a bad movie, but far from a great one. Way too bloated. It seems that Jackson took all the fat he lost and packed in onto his movie.  I suppose I give him an A for effort, but sometimes less is more. Like, an hour less. And two T-Rex's less. C+

"The girls around here all look like Cadillacs" -- Tom Waits