Mad Max 4: Fury Road

Started by MacGuffin, November 02, 2006, 11:36:09 AM

Lottery

Exciting action.

But it feels like they've shown all the big impressive stuff.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Lottery on March 31, 2015, 10:22:23 PM
But it feels like they've shown all the big impressive stuff.

They definitely could have. What intrigues me more is that George Miller says this film is entirely a chase film. The idea of sequence balancing within a full plate of action sequences that's surrounded by a possible minimal story, it's a fascinating concept. In the hands of someone like Miller who I think has a high visual pedigree, I think it has good chance to be awesome. Too many action films fluff their big action sequences by over depending on them as being high payoffs after progressing bad drama and story, but a film trying to do it from inside out by looking for internal drama within a fucking chaotic world, I think is a good twist. Of course optimism hinges on idea of someone like Miller staying true to talent I know he has. This could be a huge disappointment too. Either way, it will be truly no holds barred.

if ur trying to be new pubrick, don't.
if not, carry on.

Gold Trumpet

Hah, Pubes and I have little in common.

haha my bad i meant to delete that after i figured out the april fools thing. i thought you were typing like that on purpose.

Drenk

You know when people say that you're not ready to watch X movie? Often, it's bullshit. Trust me, you're not ready for Fury Road. It's a classic. It's INSANE.
Ascension.

samsong

this is the greatest action movie ever made.

Reel

Damn! I've had my entire life to watch the first 3, but only caught bits and pieces on TV. I don't think I'll be able to see 'em all before the theatrical run ends, but oh well. Just nice to know there's a kickass summer blockbuster, finally.

Fernando

help a brother out.

is this film suitable for a ten year old boy?

Ghostboy

Reel

Well, I better go see this before I hear too much more talk about it. Already had to mute a review on NPR today. Patton Oswalt said it's a stand alone film and it makes 'The Road Warrior' look like 'Claire's Knee'

Drenk

Quote from: Ghostboy on May 15, 2015, 06:19:40 PM
Yes.

What a pleasure it must be to discover this movie at ten in a movie theater.
Ascension.

modage

Just gonna grab my Twitter rant and put it right here...

Just had a solid two-hour idiot grin on my face. If you go to the movies this summer and they don't show you Mad Max: Fury Road, ask them for a refund. We kept waiting for the next generation of action directors to take over the mantle from Spielberg & Cameron but it never really happened. Glad 70-year old George Miller came back to show everyone how it's done. This is what movies can be. "Fuck you, modern movies. You can take your PG-13 family values, CGI-shaki-cam action & shove it straight up your arse." - Mad Max: Fury Road

Disney is great at managing franchises responsibly. Warner Bros. is the studio that gives $150m to a madman to make this film. A glimmer of hope for a film as good as Mad Max: Fury Road is why geeks get riled up every single time for a sequel/reboot of a film they love. Imagine a world where George Lucas comes back 15 yrs after the OT with something like this for the Star Wars prequels. Can you even imagine?

I can't imagine I'll see a better movie this year and after 1 viewing I would be surprised if this doesn't sit comfortably on the shelf next to Aliens, T2 and Jurassic Park as a masterpiece of action filmmaking.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

Most liked:

Max: Why did you leave Green Place?
Furiosa: I didn't. (dramatic eye-roll.) I was taken from there.

Glad this is being treated seriously, I guess because of how hard it musta been to make. It's kinda like the genre version of Boyhood this year, so respek.

Drenk

It's more:

How do you know it exists?
I'm born there.

Without any eye-roll.

It's a beautiful story about escaping an oppressive system — a post apocalyptic, insane system — which contains three stories of redemption. It's full of poetic moments while being an insane car chase. There and back again, as Bilbo would say. Of course I'm taking it seriously!

I've seen it twice. I'll go again.
Ascension.