Miami Vice

Started by MacGuffin, December 12, 2005, 03:36:03 PM

MacGuffin

Miami Vice Trailer Debuts!
See it now online ... if you're of age.

Universal Pictures has launched the official film site for the big-screen version of Miami Vice! The site includes downloads, a plot synopsis and a link to the film's new teaser trailer, which is being hosted by Bacardi Live.

Bacardi might seem like an odd choice to sponsor a film trailer but I like to think of it as helping to put the Vice back in Miami!

The teaser trailer showcases Michael Mann's style. There is a definite visual connection between this film and Heat and Collateral, and to the darker, later seasons of the 1980s TV series as well. There isn't much dialogue in the trailer, which is selling the look, style and guns, boats and music attitude of the movie.

We see detectives Sonny Crockett (Colin Farrell) and Ricardo Tubbs (Jamie Foxx, who gets top billing) in action: at clubs, racing boats, cruising the streets of Miami at night (an eagle-eyed buddy of mine says Crockett drives a Ferrari F430) and involved in gunplay. We also get glimpses of Gong Li as Crockett's love interest Isabella and Naomie Harris as Tubbs' colleague and lover Trudy Joplin (yes, it's now Trudy and not Gina as in the screenplay that I reviewed).

"Miami Vice, as a large-scale feature film, liberates what is adult, dangerous and alluring about working deeply undercover ... especially when Crockett and Tubbs go to where their badges don't count," the official site declares.

The trailer will also be attached to King Kong, which bows Wednesday. For fans of the classic Vice, the second season comes out on DVD tomorrow (Dec. 13th).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

a mann film aimed at the bacardi crowd.  :bravo:
i'm a big fan of the michael mann, last week i saw heat again, it's so good but with the ocassional awkward cool scenes like when hanna is driving fast and it looks like a cheap videogame. too many nice lines in that movie , 'it's like risk versus reward baby' by the lovely ashley judd and some other more.  collateral was two awesome thirds of action and a very bad last third.
context, context, context.

Kal

collin farrel is an idiot...

Sunrise

Quote from: andyk on December 12, 2005, 04:27:46 PM

But he does seem to be attracting some great directors lately. I'm not a Farrell supporter, necessarily, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at least until The New World and Vice come out.

Quote from: cronopio on December 12, 2005, 04:07:11 PM
a mann film aimed at the bacardi crowd.

As a big fan of Mann and Bacardi, I suppose I am in the target audience.

SHAFTR

I'm extremely excited for this.  It might be my #1 Most Anticipated Film of 2006.  I love Mann and I'm glad to see that he is going to make Miami Vice serious instead of campy.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Sunrise on December 12, 2005, 04:33:38 PM
Quote from: andyk on December 12, 2005, 04:27:46 PM

But he does seem to be attracting some great directors lately. I'm not a Farrell supporter, necessarily, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at least until The New World and Vice come out.

Ever since I saw Tigerland, I've been a fan. Not yet a talent worthy of true acting appreciation, he has a gusto about him that comes off as authentic. The interviews he gives correlates to the type of person you hope he is behind his performances. I find myself a fan because I can identify with him. A Home At the End of the World suggests he can go further. With the New World and the Dylan film, I hope he progresses the way I think he can. I expect just gloss with Miami Vice, but I do look forward to it.

Ghostboy

WORKS: Jay Z
FAILS: that crappy band who interrupts his flow. 
WINS: facial hair!!!

modage

Quote from: SHAFTR on December 12, 2005, 04:38:00 PM
It might be my #1 Most Anticipated Film of 2006.
you so crazy!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

True story: I was in Union Square just yesterday, looking at the Bacardi & Cola giant mural plastered over this one building and I randomly thought to myself, "You know, they ought to sponsor the Miami Vice movie since they're obviously spoofing it."  Someone, somewhere, listened.

As for the trailer, it's Manntastic, except for Colin Farrell's hair.  And I'm glad Jamie Foxx doesn't appear to be ACTING as opposed to acting.

Quote from: SHAFTR on December 12, 2005, 04:38:00 PMI love Mann and I'm glad to see that he is going to make Miami Vice serious instead of campy.

It's just a good thing that he got to it before someone else did.  That shit could have been another Starsky and Hutch.   :doh:

w/o horse

It looks like a lot of fun.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Rudie Obias

looks pretty lame to me....
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Pozer

Quote from: Ghostboy on December 12, 2005, 05:52:56 PM
WORKS: Jay Z
FAILS: that crappy band who interrupts his flow. 
But his flow is set to that crappy band's music.   

Sal

At first I wasn't sure if I liked the digital look.  But the jury's in, and the verdict is that I fucking like it.  Miami Vice is going to be manntabulous.

killafilm

I don't the look that much.  But when watching the trailer on a rather large screen last night... SO much grain/noise on most of the nighttime images.