Spencer

Started by csage97, November 16, 2021, 12:40:06 PM

csage97

No one talking about this? Saw it a couple days ago. I thought it was great. It's got bits of classic drama, psychological portrait/character study, ghost story, and even a dash of horror. The soundtrack is done by Jonny Greenwood, and it goes a long way to integrating with the movie. The music is baroque, horror strings, and baroque devolving into chaotic jazz.

Shughes

Saw this today. Thought it was incredible. Brilliantly subjective filmmaking, and Greenwood's score is sublime. One of the best films this year.

WorldForgot

Watched this last night. Its photography iz lush. I'm no Royals geek and I was seduced. Psychological, emotionally delicate and humanist.

Improves on Jackie, but Diana Spencer's loss iz different. Where Jackie depicts the black heart abyss of mourning your soul, Spencer gazes at the leash of body without spirit. Diana feels herself such a ghost that she finds comfort only in disjointed time. I prefer this script, personally, less mood and more character, but they make beautiful companion pieces.

Jeremy Blackman

https://twitter.com/davechensky/status/1470172890934898691

I don't know if this is a hot take, but my response would be: "so what?" Diana was a public figure, and we should absolutely feel free to make art about public figures. The recent portrayals of her tend to be intensely sympathetic anyway (rightly so). Why does it matter what her children think? This reeks of the type of content policing I mentioned in the Benedetta thread.

WorldForgot

At its most innocent: puritanical brown-nosing. Taken to an extreme, it advocates a sort of willfully narrow minded (arrogant?) censorship. It's as if people have started to assume that there's immorality to "bad taste." And who's shepherding these herds? Where do they think they're headed?

Anyway this movie iz a bop.