Most Transcendant Movie Day of Your Life?

Started by nix, November 10, 2003, 04:21:19 PM

nix

Mine was a Friday night in mid-october, 1999. I saw a 7pm showing of FIGHT CLUB, was blown away, got a bit to eat, then saw a 10pm showing of AMERICAN BEAUTY. I was literally in a trance for two days afterward.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

SoNowThen

Yeah, it's a toss-up between the night I saw Fight Club and the night I saw Magnolia.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Haha, wow.  What a mindfuck.  Ya lucky bastard!  :-D  I wasn't lucky enough to see Fight Club or American Beauty in a theatre.  Or Magnolia.  Feh.

Anyway, for me it'd be Punch-Drunk Love, I guess.  I know it's a crap, totally expected answer, but I can't think of another film I've had so much of a memorable time watching, and so much of a smile on my face, save Love Actually, and maybe Lost in Translation (though to a smaller extent; LiT is so much more subtle).  Last November-ish, I think.  PTAs films are so weird.  For both Magnolia and PDL, I knew there was something special there, but didn't really fully appreciate them until subsequent viewings.  Ditto with Hard Eight and Boogie Nights, actually.

Vile5

mine was in 1988 when i watched Rain Man, i was 9 years old and i didn't know who the hell Barry Levinson was, i didn't care Tom Cruise career, i didn't even know who Dustin Hoffman was, the only thing i knew since that afternoon was the fact that i'll be a cinema lover for the rest of my life
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

classical gas

i had one recently with 'lost in translation'.  i was so into that movie with the whole voyerism (sp?) aspect, that i didn't want to leave it to go back to the real world.  the one before that was punch drunk love.  i didn't get that certain feeling with kill bill so much.  i just had fun with it.  of all time, the obvious answer would have to be pulp fiction in theaters.  it sort of opened my eyes and i had many experiences like that afterwards.

Pedro

age 13.  watched fight club and run lola run in the same night.  obsessed from then on.

TheVoiceOfNick

Mine was when I waited in line overnight for tickets for Episode 1... then I slept over in line again on the night it came out to hold the place for 50 people in my group (I was with another friend)... two fucking nights camped out in Westwood for the movie that would end all other movies... needless to say I was pissed after I saw it that evening... what a waste.

Kal

I have no memory of past events right now but many things happened... on the openning of Revolutions it was really weird...

I was for the week working in Argentina... I went the day before to get tickets and invited some of the people that was working with me...

I went really early to Village Cinemas and didnt know what the hell to do until the movie would start at 11am... I ate, I was really getting sick waiting... and when the time came I couldnt believe it... after more than three years of waiting the end would come...

I think that is also why I was shocked when it ended... I had to take the rest of the day off and think about the movie and the other two movies until I could understand and decide if I liked it or not... and write a review here...

It was a crazy day... but then I slept happy... I loved the film... and the Matrix trilogy is awsome... I just came back from the movies and I saw it for 2nd time :)

NEON MERCURY

..this films is a very transcendental-esque..experience...:

Weak2ndAct

1) Seeing Blue Velvet at age 11.
2) Having Quentin Tarantino sit in front of me while I watched Mulholland Dr.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
2) Having Quentin Tarantino sit in front of me while I watched Mulholland Dr.

I have that beat: once an old man sat in front of me and talked about the movie the whole time to his wife, who didn't understand it either.
WWPTAD?

Slick Shoes

It was probably Mulholland Drive for me as well.

Alethia

nix

The more I think about it, 1999 might just have been the most transcendant movie year of my life.

The aforementioned Ficht Club and American Beauty combo
Being John Malkovich
Magnolia
SLC Punk
Run Lola Run
Three Kings
The Sixth Sense
The Limey
Ghost Dog
Election
The Green Mile
The Matrix
Toy Story 2

I can't remember a year in my lifetime with so many brilliant studio films.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Alethia

there's a review of three kings on IMDB which describes it as the best film of 1999: a truly terrible year for cinema......I was given a very hardy laugh upon reading that