I figured it out (John Williams)

Started by ShanghaiOrange, October 14, 2003, 06:33:55 PM

ShanghaiOrange

The only reason Spielberg's (and Lucas's, other than American Graffiti) classic films are any good is because of John Williams. Without him, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, ET, etc, would all be really lame. I'm serious.

No, I'm not serious. But almost. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Alethia

Quote from: mutinycoYeah, and 2+3=4...

wait a second.....

Pas

What I find funny with Williams is that his movies always have a very catchy theme, and often when there's a big emotional scene, it's the theme slowed down and more melancholic. Yes, this is what I find funny.

cine

When Williams is dead, he's still going to be nominated for films for Best Score. Even if he didn't score them. And the ironic thing of it all is that he'll probably win more often.

Count on it.

Find Your Magali

Nah, theory doesn't hold up. "1941" is one of my very favorite Williams scores, and the movie is a majestic piece of crap.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Find Your MagaliNah, theory doesn't hold up. "1941" is one of my very favorite Williams scores, and the movie is a majestic piece of crap.

Well, I don't think the movie is THAT bad. It has its funny moments...
Si

Find Your Magali

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
Quote from: Find Your MagaliNah, theory doesn't hold up. "1941" is one of my very favorite Williams scores, and the movie is a majestic piece of crap.

Well, I don't think the movie is THAT bad. It has its funny moments...

You're right. I overstated the crapitude* of the movie. I was just trying to find the best example of great Williams score and subpar movie by a great director. I'm just glad that Spielberg didn't make a career of filming wacky sexual hijinks.

*not, technically, a word.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Find Your MagaliI'm just glad that Spielberg didn't make a career of filming wacky sexual hijinks.

Now with that I agree!
Si

Alethia

TheVoiceOfNick

John Williams is like the Eddie Van Halen of Classical Music...

mutinyco

What the fuck does that mean? The Eddie Van Halen of classical music?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: mutinycoWhat the fuck does that mean? The Eddie Van Halen of classical music?

Dude, have you ever heard Eddie Van Halen play guitar?  This is how John Williams directs an orchestra... and those riffs of Van Halen's are as catchy as John's crescendos!  That's what the f*ck I mean!   :P

ShanghaiOrange

Actually, Eddie Van Halen is the John Williams of hair metal. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

mutinyco

Uh...I still don't get it.

-St. Joe