McKee's Seminars.

Started by EL__SCORCHO, April 25, 2003, 10:47:37 PM

EL__SCORCHO

Has anybody here ever taken one of Robert McKee's screenwriting seminars? If so, what did you think about it?

Cecil

is the one in adaptation a faithful representation?

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: cecil b. dementedis the one in adaptation a faithful representation?

I don't know, I wonder if Kaufman ever went to a Mckee session for research.

ReelHotGames

The scene in adaptation is a heightened version of McKee, I've done a seminar and he's intense, is it worth it.... Mmmm..... Yes? I don't know. I'm not doing anything really differently, mainly what I learned was what everyone aparently does wrong, and why all of our stuff stinks and would never sell, and yet... I can not write "formula" I refuse. So, I guess I'll never sell according to McKee.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Ernie

yeah, judging just by Adaptation's representation of him...I don't think I could write by his rules. Some of my favorite films wouldn't exist had the filmmaker's that made them listened to Mckee...so why would I follow them? I'm influence by my favorite films. Formulas suck most of the time. And I definitely don't think Casablanca is even in the top 10 best scripts ever written...not even top 100 for that matter.

EL__SCORCHO

Quote from: ebeaman69yeah, judging just by Adaptation's representation of him...I don't think I could write by his rules. Some of my favorite films wouldn't exist had the filmmaker's that made them listened to Mckee...

Well, I'm was wondering about how  the course helps writer , not the filmmaker.

I think sometimes people don't see the formulas behind what they think are really "original" films. There are exceptions,and truly unique stuff, but it's very rare. I think really good writers are the ones who know how to trick the audience the best and hide the formula well.

cachilders

Quote from: EL__SCORCHO
Quote from: ebeaman69yeah, judging just by Adaptation's representation of him...I don't think I could write by his rules. Some of my favorite films wouldn't exist had the filmmaker's that made them listened to Mckee...

Well, I'm was wondering about how  the course helps writer , not the filmmaker.

I think sometimes people don't see the formulas behind what they think are really "original" films. There are exceptions,and truly unique stuff, but it's very rare. I think really good writers are the ones who know how to trick the audience the best and hide the formula well.

I would agree with you that most scripts and novels contain common themes. But I think it is a mistake to confuse themes with formulaic writing.
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my
dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a
straight razor, and surviving.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeaman69yeah, judging just by Adaptation's representation of him...I don't think I could write by his rules.

DONALD
Not rules. Principles. McKee
writes that a rule says you
must do it this way. A principle
says this works and has through
all remembered time.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks