MGM to release Persona among other Bergman titles

Started by Gold Trumpet, March 29, 2003, 09:34:40 PM

Gold Trumpet

Someone from another forum asked about Persona being released to dvd ever, and got this:

Persona and other Bergman films, including Hour of the Wolf and the Passion of Anna, will be released later this year.

We do not yet have a release date for Fanny and Alexander.

Thank You.

Carrie Smith
MGM Studios Home Entertainment

Great news for me.

~rougerum

cine

I'm very happy "Persona" will be released on DVD as I wasn't interested in getting it on VHS. I already have "F & A" on VHS but I'll very likely get it on DVD..

Ravi

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2003/10_30.html

Just in from MGM Home Entertainment are the full specs for their early 2004 catalog and TV on DVD releases. MGM will debut special editions of five Ingmar Bergman classics on February 10th: Persona, Shame, The Passion of Anna, Hour of the Wolf and The Serpent's Egg. Each includes a new audio commentary by Bergman biographer Marc Gervais, a still gallery and trailers, and in respective order, one featurette per release: "A Poem in Images, "The Search for Humanity," "Disintegration of Passion," "The Search for Sanity" and "Away from Home." The Serpent's Egg also includes an additional featurette, "German Expressionism." Retail is $24.95 each, and MGM will also release The Ingmar Bergman Collection box set, which includes all five films plus a bonus sixth disc with additional extras: the "Sven Nykvist: With One Eye He Cries" and "Faro Island Mystique" featurettes, the "intermezzo 2002" Swedish TV special, a 1970 interview with Bergman, the "Film-Making in Sweden" article gallery, a still gallery including never-before-seen, intimate photos from Bergman's personal archives, and a poster montage. Retail for the box set is $112.95.

cine

I'm going to go poor buying all of these amazing DVDs.  :-D

godardian

That box set looks like an absolute must-have for me.

Thanks for the info, Ravi.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

It's a must-have for me too. Between shooting a new film in January and buying this box-set, I'll be broke until at least the middle of next summer! Good times.

The Perineum Falcon

Which would be a better buy for a Bergman first-timer, CC's Trilogy or MGM's massive set? I tend to enjoy buying the box sets rather than the individual DVDs that are in the set(it fattens up my collection quicker that way).
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

godardian

Quote from: ranemaka13Which would be a better buy for a Bergman first-timer, CC's Trilogy or MGM's massive set? I tend to enjoy buying the box sets rather than the individual DVDs that are in the set(it fattens up my collection quicker that way).

Actually, for first-timer, I would say Wild Strawberries. Then Cries and Whispers. Then the MGM box-set stuff, and THEN the CC trilogy, which is some of the most austere of Bergman's work.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

The Perineum Falcon

Thanks to the both of you. I had asked for Wild Strawberries for Christmas this year on a whim, but since nobody in my family likes foreign films, much less ones in b&w, I didn't get it. But then I started reading about Cries & Whispers and found that it got more praise than Wild Strawberries, if I'm not mistaken. But thanks for the suggestions!

Also, I suppose "technically" I'm not a true Bergman-virgin. I rented The Seventh Seal at a local blockbuster one night. Of course, it was the old VHS dub, so I didn't think that really counted.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cine

Yes, Cries and Whispers got much more praise. The Oscars nominated the film for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Costume Design, Best Writing, and Best Cinematography, which it won the Oscar for. It's a better film than Wild Strawberries.

I think if you can get a hold of a VHS of Persona, get it. That, and The Seventh Seal are my favourite Bergmans.

kotte

Have you seen the 2 hour documentary on the Fanny & Alexander DVD? It's very 'That MOMENT'. Great to see him direct and deal with on-set problems etc. I don't know if it's on the region one DVD.

Tell me you you want it. There's no subtitles though.

Chest Rockwell

Fuck me! I am so getting this box set. I still need to get a hold of some of the Criterions of his. I am a Bergman virgin (kudos to ranemaka), and I was thinking of beginning with Seventh Seal, so good deal Cinephile.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Chest RockwellI am a Bergman virgin (kudos to ranemaka)
Cries & Whispers just _officially_ popped my cherry in such an extraordinary way.