Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

WorldForgot

I've got just a few days left, then...
Fulci is gross but you'll be fine -- Europe's got nihilism coated all over, right? Joking, mostly.

jenkins

jenkins

Quote from: WorldForgot on January 09, 2021, 03:13:59 PM
Really adore both these movies. I've got Ripper on 'Blue Underground' but just now making my way through City of the Living Dead and The Beyond. Much has already been written about The Beyond -- both these films are on Amazon via Showtime (City of the Living Dead might be straight up Prime Video rn in the States?) If you xixax search The New York Ripper on here GhostBoy's got an opinion. Don't look it up if you haven't seen it -- there's spoilers in the post. To be sure, Fucli movies are gross. Mayhaps Devil's Honey isn't, that sax so sweet. 

I think that film's beautifully abstract (tho telegraphed as a procedural in comparison to the scattershot moves in City of the Living dead) - cartoonish where Angst (1983) has a wiener dog yes that one has a duck of sorts. New York Ripper plays like a feminist poem akin to I Spit On Your Grave, lipstick, cartoon, subway desertion, x rated stage shows and sublimation via spouse-tape alieanation.

It's tough to pack movies the way Fulci does - gels grindhouse logic in tandem with psychological elementz.

Samm Deighan is on a path to rationalize (justify) (validate) a taste for the wicked and she has a podcast, this episode is For the Love of Sleazy New York: Fulci's New York Ripper (1982)

QuoteSamm and Kat explore one of the most infamous video nasties: Lucio Fulci's The New York Ripper (1982). Their discussion centers on the reasons why they don't agree with the statement that Fulci was a misogynist, the transgressive sexual themes in the film, and why sleazy New York was one of the best periods for cinema, as well as European slashers, the Italian crime genre, and much much more.

she takes a firm, determined stance that 1976 is the best year of cinema, based on a theme of a complete deconstruction of identity

WorldForgot

Uuuf, thank you. I'll probably end up listening to all those eps

jenkins

today i want that song played at my funeral

WorldForgot

Marx gets a tombstone in Fulci's City of the Living Dead. Good morrow, tis Friday.

Robyn

Quote from: WorldForgot on January 10, 2021, 01:13:15 PM
I've got just a few days left, then...
Fulci is gross but you'll be fine -- Europe's got nihilism coated all over, right? Joking, mostly.

Gross and nihilism is fine, so i'll watch it! :p I only have a problem with scary horror films like Pulse, etc.
Did you watch that one yet btw?

WorldForgot

Not yet. Pulse (2001) right? I'll put that on this weekend ~

jenkins

jenkins

Quote from: WorldForgot on September 06, 2020, 12:36:41 PM
Marathoned Richard Bates Jr's four filmz yesterday ~

Excision - True-blue Judy Blumez The Plague-Daemon. Well, not totally, but it iz a coming-of-body horror with great dream-logic interludes. A dope punk piece.

I've previously responded to and appreciated Trash Fire, which I watched shortly after a hospital trip and fell asleep during through circumstances, tonight I watched Excision with two friends and that went really well. I like its commitment to sass. Bates Jr understands everyday hellfire. however good he is I couldn't just decide to be him. something was born with the guy

WorldForgot

Pulse looks like Super 16mm to me, but it's hard to find information from the production to back this up.
Freaking beautiful photography and mood. I've got it on for a second time right now.

polkablues

Imdb says 35mm, Arriflex cameras, but there's no way to know for sure that's accurate.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

Yeah, I don't trust that info, but it could be a slow-speed 35mm perhaps. Looks like Super 16mm and it's a mystery I will research more once my hiragana moves into katakana.

Alethia

That first still in particular is gorgeous

jenkins

That grain, right. And yeah it's really pretty. I put my copy in last night. J-horror of that period so dope