How about a 2020 Xixax Dekapenticon? - THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Started by ono, December 01, 2020, 02:36:17 PM

WorldForgot

Although I personally appreciate Breaking the Waves more than Dancer in the Dark (its religious voracity, the isolation of the location, and painting interludes strike me more) gonna say out of these noms I'll totes  campaign for Dancer in the Dark -- this iz one of the first LVT'z my dad showed me over a decade ago, that it means something to him means something to me.

I've only seen it twice -- and remember more from DitD beat-for-beat than I do from some flicks I've seen more than one hand can count. It's imprinted onto me as if part of her working machine.
Some films achieve their power not only from whats on screen but the atmosphere that it imbues around it.

Mulholland Drive
Southland Tales
Twin Peaks: Fire With Me

Richard Kelly cites going to see FWWM with a dozed off date as the moment that sparked his entire cinematic mind. Obviously then emulates this date within a Donnie Darko scene.

Three totalizing pictures of a larger, violent, societal whole. Swirling in the surreal and tinged w/ unique humor. Over, say Chinatown, I'm gonna vote for movies that coulda only come at one time from a crew's unifying aesthetic off the beaten path. Like Chinatown definitely iz that good, but I've gotta trim somehow! And cuz obvi I'm hurt y'all dont think Tromeo & Juliet belonged on here ;) Of course my personal tuff list of twenty includes The Terrorizers and The Thing.

jenkins

you guys aren't alone with your Dancer in the Dark fondness and it's not as if i can't imagine why. it's not even in my top three LvT but that's not a real life problem

Do the Right Thing is the one on the list that stands out to me. and The Godfather. it's not my type of list but i do look forward to seeing how it all turns out

ono

We're a little more than halfway home with about half of the participants from the first round having submitted their votes.  Still plenty of time to watch, campaign, and submit your ballots before Thursday night's deadline!

ono

Got a little less than 24 hours to go and there are still a few people who haven't submitted their ballots.  Let's go!

jenkins

you know I'm just bumping this for ono. even if you didn't do the first round the list is there on the first page and you could rank it I'm sure ono wouldn't mind

ono

Yes, thank you.  You don't have to have nominated anything to vote now.  There are still 3 people who nominated who haven't submitted final ballots, too.

Alethia

jenkins

it's not 2021 til the list arrives. tbh even if it was just two people that would be interesting too. i think it's a fun thing ono. sleepless and jb might have to cook up a different kind of annual thing this year. Literally Anything Good About 2020

i'll get my reactions out of the way: okay i'm trying to be nice here so i won't focus on bunch of bullshit. two or three selections make me smile and one reminds me of my old friend greg because he liked that movie. that and that is interesting and oh and oh about this and this. yeah yeah yeah about whatever and of course about that coming. props to you all the participants are my favorites

Robyn

It's so weird to see Southland Tales on it and I love it lol

Overall it's a decent list. Would love to see all the data once it's over!  Like a list of all the films that got nominated, etc

ono

I am currently in the process of tabulating things.  What's hard is, there are some films that got a lot of mentions but were ranked very low (so it's almost as if they were put on there as an afterthought), and there were some films that got few mentions, but were ranked high.  So I'm trying to strike a balance between those two cases, and make the weights that everyone gave their lists have merit too.  Simply doing a straight tally of the votes leads to some weird results that may not be as accurate a representation as we'd like.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah. I think weighting it based on ranking makes a lot of sense. (That was my assumption anyway.)

wilberfan

Quote from: ono on January 01, 2021, 03:24:06 PM
Simply doing a straight tally of the votes leads to some weird results that may not be as accurate a representation as we'd like.

Seeing the results of the various tabulation models could be an interesting "Extras" on Disc 2.  You should share them, at some point.

ono

jenkins

was going to say i wonder where Taxi Driver will end up but it didn't make it. not a single Martin Scorsese movie made it! three Coppolas did! my my my

Alethia