David Gordon Green

Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2003, 10:50:11 AM

ono

Alright, I just finished watching GW about 20 minutes ago, let it sink in.  It was different, that's for sure.  I think the title could've used some work, because it can be rather off-putting.  Makes me think I'm gonna watch some documentary about America's first president.  But that's overlooked once you get in to the film, until it starts drawing the parallels indirectly to George Washington via inserts in the closing minutes.

Anyway, the flick itself: the slow pacing was very interesting.  The film didn't drag at all, considering it was only 89 minutes long, but it tooks its sweet time.  What's nice is, I did feel like I got to know the characters, and for me, it's gotta be about the characters.  If you let me into their heads, let me get to know them and have some reason to care, you've hooked me.

Also, the shades of gray.  George's uncle is the only real antagonist here, and me, I hate when antagonists are painted one color.  It's annoying, tired, and frustrating.  We see this trend happening at the beginning of the movie, but near the end, it smooths out nicely.

It's really hard to nail this movie down as a whole, which is what some may like about it.  I appreciate it, but sometimes a more cohesive narrative is better.  What really bugged me about it, was, I felt it had a bit of unevenness and uncertainty about where it was actually going to go.  And at the end, the film just ended, just as all summers are prone to do.  Here we have the story of a group of kids, of course, and what happened one summer.  And you may think you know what's going to happen because of the setup, but one of the things I appreciated most about the film, is it surprised me.

"Three good scenes, no bad ones" is how the saying goes, describing great films.  And this film filled that bill nicely, though it didn't ever really make my jaw drop like other films I've loved.  There are some scenes of note, though, that stuck out for me to make this film so much more than "just another indie flick":

• The scene on the roof between Buddy and Rico Rice before they light sparklers.  The innocence Buddy conveyed in talking about his crush on Nasia.  It was priceless.  "It made me tingle."  Any other film, I feel, this dialogue would fall flat and feel cheesy.  But it worked here.
  • Obvious, but still worth stating, is the scene that really made the film what it is: the bathroom scene.  Innocent horseplay leads to tragedy, but you don't expect at all what's going to happen.  It's a red herring worthy of Hitchcock.  Plus, Buddy's and Vernon's characters do an excellent job acting here.
  • Vernon's monologue to Sonya when he revisits the bathroom.  What he says here, a parallel to Buddy's soliloquy when he's clad in lizard mask, is also priceless.  And I loved the way Sonya and Vernon played off each other.  Their relationship was most intriguing of all.  Because he's this big, bad guy who's got this huge heart, and she's this teeny tiny girl who doesn't feel a thing.  It's perfect juxtaposition, that's so understated you'll miss it if you aren't paying attention.[/list:u]This is not a perfect film, but it's close to it.  It's odd, though fitting, how George drifts off into herodom.  The last part of the film is surreal and dreamlike, especially seeing Rico and George direct traffic to kill time.  George's parading and posturing got a little annoying, but it's also an understandable reaction to what's just happened.  He never voices his remorse for guilt for his part in the tragedy, but you can sense it's there.

There are of course, other things of note: the prevalence of the axe, and its role in the third act, and how it enhances the relationship between George and his uncle.  The dog, and its role in that relationship,  too.  There is another parallel here: quite simply, secrets kept among children lead to tragedy.  My rating: ***½/**** (8/10).

Gold Trumpet

For me, George Washington feels like something new and is becoming hugely influential for me because unlike other movies it is able to expand with each movie because it is a stream of conscious movie of sorts in the eyes of many different characters in the story so to many viewers, scenes seem out of place and/or feel too cheesy or hoakey or whatever. The idea of following a movie purely on stream of consciousness for the characters is opening and very challenging considering really all movies do play from the role of god in some ways, the all knowing viewer and such. They can present ideas and all, but it still from the position of outside the world in many ways. Sad how few movies are like this.

On first viewing, I only liked George Washington. It only grows with every viewing.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

SOLD

I have an extra copy of the Criterion DVD of "George Washington". It's brand new, factory sealed and in perfect condition. I'm selling it for $27 ($25 + $2 S&H). Anyone interested, send me a PM and we'll set up a deal and work out payment. First come, first serve.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

That's really expensive
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

Not compared to the full price Criterion.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

that's odd. i don't remember the cover of the one i rented having that quote from the film on the front.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasthat's odd. i don't remember the cover of the one i rented having that quote from the film on the front.

It's not on this copy either. Don't know why Amazon has that cover.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ernie

Just got some new good/weird info on his next-next movie (A Confederacy of Dunces) right from DGG himself in this new inteview I came across. The good part is that Lily Tomlin (who is really awesome) will supposedly be in the movie, no character was mentioned or anything but it's good news to me all the same...hope I'm not the only one. Anyway, Tthe weird part is that Mos Def has also been cast, unless he was just joking...also, Olympia Dikakas who I've never heard of, she'll be in it too. They're still looking for the perfect Ignatius (sp?). I'm still really rooting for Philip Seymour Hoffman myself. I've never read the book but it seems like he would be perfect based on what I've heard and how much of a chameleon he is.

In case you haven't heard, Drew Barrymore is set to play Darlene...can't wait to see what that's like. That's pretty much it. Soderbergh is producing, there's a bunch of noname writers (I think) and then DGG will direct...probably won't see a release till late 2004-2005. You'll have to pick up ATRG today to tide yourself over...and see Undertow.

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeamanJust got some new good/weird info on his next-next movie (A Confederacy of Dunces) right from DGG himself in this new inteview I came across. The good part is that Lily Tomlin (who is really awesome) will supposedly be in the movie. The weird part is that Mos Def has also been cast, unless he was just joking...also, Olympia Dikakas who I've never heard of, she'll be in it too. They're still looking for the perfect Ignatius (sp?). I'm still really rooting for Philip Seymour Hoffman myself. I've never read the book but it seems like he would be perfect based on what I've heard and how much of a chameleon he is.
mos def is a good actor, and a great rapper. clearly u've never heard his music or seen him act.

olympia dukakis is an old greek chick who must be truly grateful for any job she gets now. she won an oscar for moonstruck in 87.

i can't wait till DGG starts doing completely violent loud movies with intense performances by sean penn, mos def, and queen latifah.. u'll be so mindfucked and hav a stroke from how different his career developed against how u imagined it. maybe that'll make u understand u need to grow if u wanna keep with the times.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanThe weird part is that Mos Def has also been cast, unless he was just joking...

I agree with P. Guess you haven't seen "Italian Job," or, for more serious stuff, "Monster's Ball".

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: P
Quote from: ebeamanJust got some new good/weird info on his next-next movie (A Confederacy of Dunces) right from DGG himself in this new inteview I came across. The good part is that Lily Tomlin (who is really awesome) will supposedly be in the movie. The weird part is that Mos Def has also been cast, unless he was just joking...also, Olympia Dikakas who I've never heard of, she'll be in it too. They're still looking for the perfect Ignatius (sp?). I'm still really rooting for Philip Seymour Hoffman myself. I've never read the book but it seems like he would be perfect based on what I've heard and how much of a chameleon he is.
mos def is a good actor, and a great rapper. clearly u've never heard his music or seen him act.

olympia dukakis is an old greek chick who must be truly grateful for any job she gets now. she won an oscar for moonstruck in 87.

i can't wait till DGG starts doing completely violent loud movies with intense performances by sean penn, mos def, and queen latifah.. u'll be so mindfucked and hav a stroke from how different his career developed against how u imagined it. maybe that'll make u understand u need to grow if u wanna keep with the times.

Oh yea, I'm not saying rappers can't act, Ice Cube was GREAT in Three Kings... I just thought it was weird for somebody like Mos Def to be in this big, great american novel adaptation, you know? I had no idea he was in Monster's Ball, I thought he only did stuff like The Italian Job...that's the only reason I thought it was kinda weird. Yea, I'm all for it, can't wait to see what he can do...maybe I'll rent Monster's Ball. I love not knowing what to expect, this is fun.

Ghostboy

Holy crap, Mos Def is PERFECT for the part that he's going to be play! He's exactly who I picture when I was reading the book! The rest of the cast is pretty perfect too, including Barrymore (Darlene is a really dumb stripper). Great news.

RegularKarate

Why do they need to keep searching for Ignatious?  I think it's 100% obvious that it should be Stephen Root... I imagined him throughout the entire book and think he would be awesome.

Is Mos Def playing Clarence (is that his name... already forgot)?

I'm currious to see how they do this... seems like there are a couple ways you could go with this one.