Ways to critically injure someone

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, July 14, 2003, 11:02:16 AM

TheVoiceOfNick

I'm writing a script for an upcoming short film project, and i'm having trouble figuring out how to critically injure someone... i was thinking of having them be hit be a car, but does anyone have any ideas? maybe something that happens in an INT rather than an EXT? thanks for your input.

Nick

Pubrick

how do u mean critically injure, like break their neck?

then all u need is a banana peel.
under the paving stones.

TheVoiceOfNick

Sorry, let me elaborate... this is a drama, so no slapstick. The issue is that the character must choose an action, and because of that action, she is critically injured. Like let's say, she chooses to eat ice cream... should she eat the sherbert or the frozen yogurt... she chooses the frozen yogurt and it turns out to be bad, so she now has food poisoning... something like that...

Nick

Raikus

Mugging gone wrong.
Something falling from construction zone (or person committing suicide).
(speaking from personal experience) Skiing.
Embolism.
Crossfire.
Drive-by.
Blue Ice.
Open manhole.
Lightning.
Elevator fall.
Electric shock.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pubrick

just let me get this reference out of the way:

from episode Treehouse of Horrors III(s.4)
[Homer is buying a Krusty Doll for Bart in an Evil Shop where Frozen Yogurt = Frogurt.]

Owner: Take this object, but beware it carries a terrible curse!
Homer: [worried] Ooooh, that's bad.
Owner: But it comes with a free Frogurt!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.
Owner: The Frogurt is also cursed.
Homer: [worried] That's bad.
Owner: But you get your choice of topping!
Homer: [relieved] That's good.
Owner: The toppings contain Potassium Benzoate.
Homer: [stares]
Owner: That's bad.
Homer: Can I go now?

--
so, she's in the house.. and she has to reach sumthing that is high (maybe a secret stash of her boyfriend's loveletters to or from other sluts), so she should get a ladder that is outside but opts for just using the crappy chair she's on, which breaks obviously and gives her whatever injury u desire. how's that?
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickLike let's say, she chooses to eat ice cream... should she eat the sherbert or the frozen yogurt... she chooses the frozen yogurt and it turns out to be bad, so she now has food poisoning... something like that...

Just sayin', with an example like that, no wonder you need help.

If you want to go with the 'hit by car' scenario, she crosses against the street light because she's in a hurry (maybe even dropping something in the crosswalk that she has to pick up because it would make her lower than a driver's eyeline) and pays for her tardiness.

Or rather than make two trips, she carries a huge load of laundry or boxes up a flight of stairs, and doesn't see a kid toy on the stair (or maybe trips on a sheet that has come unfolded) and takes a nasty tumble back down.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

markums2k

There's the real-life example of a motorist stopping to wave someone across the street, while in the other lane of traffic (which is going the same way), a speeding car comes along and... well, there's your critical injury.

EDIT: I think anyone can relate to that situation.  We've all been waved, and probably have done the waving.  If you aren't paying attention, an act of common courtesy could turn into something very tragic.  In this case, your character would be choosing to trust the driver waving them on, instead of evaluating the conditions on their own.

I'm also a fan of injuries I know nothing about, and have to research.  Like, in one of my scripts, I have a character get stabbed in the back of their neck with an umbrella.  I wrote that out before I even knew what would happened, and then I read up on it.

Effects of spinal cord injuries are usually delayed... slowly disabling body functions.  And normally, the 'higher' along the spinal cord the injury is, the greater the disability.  The victim may eventually lose feeling in their arms, legs, whatever, or they may not.  It's one of those things you can play around with, at the convenience of telling the story, and still have it be realistic and accurate.

But food poisoning, much like eating, doesn't really lend itself to being a great dramatic and/or cinematic situation.

prophet

hit by inner city bus (i need to stop giving away my ideas)
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

picolas

Quote from: prophethit by inner city bus (i need to stop giving away my ideas)
SO THAT WAS YOUR IDEA?!!

AS SOON AS THIS CAST GETS OFF I'M COMING YOUR WAY!!!
(and i'm bringing a banana peel)

Ghostboy

Quote from: markums2kThere's the real-life example of a motorist stopping to wave someone across the street, while in the other lane of traffic (which is going the same way), a speeding car comes along and... well, there's your critical injury.

This exact thing happened to me! It was crazy. All I remember was the car coming towards me, and hitting me, and the all I saw was sky for a few seconds and then I hit concrete with a sort of soft thud and I had landed in a parking lot about fifteen feet away. An old lady had been driving the car that hit me and she was freaking out, but all I got was a really deep cut on my left pinky finger. I was real dizzy for a while, though.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: markums2kBut food poisoning, much like eating, doesn't really lend itself to being a great dramatic and/or cinematic situation.

I was thinking the same.  If you want to "critically" injure someone, death is imminent, but not instantaneous.  

Nick, are you trying to setup a dramatic scene where the hero has a typical death scene where he/she has a speech, resolution, etc. they have to make before they die, or do you just want to prolong the inevitiable so the audience is counting down in their heads before the hero dies?  Or, as a matter of fact, is the afflicted the hero at all?  Is he/she a minor character that's not really integral to the overall plot?

I guess I need your help in filling in the gaps for me.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: GhostboyThis exact thing happened to me! It was crazy. All I remember was the car coming towards me, and hitting me, and the all I saw was sky for a few seconds and then I hit concrete with a sort of soft thud and I had landed in a parking lot about fifteen feet away. An old lady had been driving the car that hit me and she was freaking out, but all I got was a really deep cut on my left pinky finger. I was real dizzy for a while, though.

Is this how you financed your movies? With settlement money? Hehe...

Nick

jasper_window

In the last 2 years, in the area I live in, 2 different old ladies have rammed their cars through the front of a Dunkin Donuts.  Different Dunkin' Donuts.  Maybe your charcter normally makes coffee at home and the night before a malfunctioning stove, not only ruined the stove but the coffee maker next to it so the next morning she hit the local dunkin donuts and KA-BLAMMO!  A poor confused old lady hit the gas instead of the brake (the reason both of these old ladies gave for ramming the dunkin donuts) and smashed through the front of dunkin donuts, killing your character.

markums2k

Maybe Ghostboy only THOUGHT he escaped with a small scratch... when in fact, he continues to post his thoughts and write movie reviews from (cue ominous music) the great beyond.

Spooky.  :shock:

jokerspath

Quote from: jasper_windowIn the last 2 years, in the area I live in, 2 different old ladies have rammed their cars through the front of a Dunkin Donuts.  Different Dunkin' Donuts.

Speaking of people continually doing dumb things: as the highway ends and you enter my town, there is a sharp left.  If you only veer a little left, you end up in a pond.  If you don't turn at all, you drive into this grassy little valley thing.  Two years ago, when I was working at a local newspaper, two people ended up in the drink and one went through the little grassy valley thing, across another road, and into a hotel.  I wrote each incident up with an underlying tone of contempt...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT