Intense Pain Caused By Females (or the longing for)

Started by SoNowThen, June 25, 2003, 11:47:55 AM

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SoNowThen

Quote from: polkabluesI keep telling people to see this movie, and they never do, but if you want a movie that fits exactly with what you described, for the love of god see "Waking the Dead".

I will check it out.

But I don't think anybody has fit exactly what I asked. I guess I haven't made myself really clear: I mean a totally realistic type of movie where a regular single guy falls in love with a beautiful girl, but she NEVER returns his love, and at the end of the movie is still lonely and sad, and feeling like his life cannot be complete without her. No one dies, no one comes alive again, they never get married, they never fuck. She just doesn't give a shit about him, in that sorta way.

I realize it might be kinda boring, but I just wanna know if such a film exists.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

If there is one, it would be VERY hard to find.  I can't think of any like that.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

godardian

Lara Flynn Boyle to Phil Hoffman in Happiness.

Jean Seberg to Jean-Paul Belmondo in Breathless.

Colette to Antoine in Antoine and Colette.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

well, if tenenbaums counts...

RUSHMORE (max and mrs. cross)

THE APARTMENT (although the ending is happy, the whole movie is pretty downbeat.)

CASABLANCA

GONE WITH THE WIND

ANNIE HALL
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Quote from: SoNowThenBut I don't think anybody has fit exactly what I asked. I guess I haven't made myself really clear: I mean a totally realistic type of movie where a regular single guy falls in love with a beautiful girl, but she NEVER returns his love, and at the end of the movie is still lonely and sad, and feeling like his life cannot be complete without her. No one dies, no one comes alive again, they never get married, they never fuck. She just doesn't give a shit about him, in that sorta way.

I realize it might be kinda boring, but I just wanna know if such a film exists.

Nope, none of those really fits, except maybe Max in Rushmore... and I suppose Hoffman in Happiness. But still...

SEE ABOVE
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: SoNowThenBut I don't think anybody has fit exactly what I asked. I guess I haven't made myself really clear: I mean a totally realistic type of movie where a regular single guy falls in love with a beautiful girl, but she NEVER returns his love, and at the end of the movie is still lonely and sad, and feeling like his life cannot be complete without her. No one dies, no one comes alive again, they never get married, they never fuck. She just doesn't give a shit about him, in that sorta way.

Nope, none of those really fits, except maybe Max in Rushmore... and I suppose Hoffman in Happiness. But still...

SEE ABOVE

You're sure Colette and Antoine don't fit your bill??
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

Haven't seen yet. If so, I will be very VERY happy.

My box set is shipping for free from Amazon.ca, so I gotta wait a bit...

modage

umm, do you need someone to talk to?  :(

uhh GREAT EXPECTATIONS (Cuaron) is a good story of longing and all that, but they do get together in the last few minutes.  but that'll be good for you.  its 2 hours of misery and a few seconds of hope.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Which is exactly why I will NEVER watch that. Because the book is just like that, minus the 2 bullshit minutes. And that's why it is one of my favorites of all time.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenHaven't seen yet. If so, I will be very VERY happy.

My box set is shipping for free from Amazon.ca, so I gotta wait a bit...

I think you'll find it fits pretty exactly...

SoNowThen

*pumps fist in air*

Sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek

Corey Haim in License to Drive

and

Meat Loaf in I Would Do Anything For Love
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

bonanzataz

Quote from: DerekCorey Haim in License to Drive

i had to watch this in driver's ed. my driver's ed teacher kicked ass, and so does this movie.

what about that movie Heavy, with Liv Tyler?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

chainsmoking insomniac

That's the one I was trying to think of!  That was an odd movie.  Good, but what a strange protagonist.
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en