Top 100 Films (listmania2003)

Started by KingBlackDeath, June 19, 2003, 02:26:48 AM

KingBlackDeath

Listmania2003. Top 50 Albums at music board.
The only bad part about making this list is that there are a plethora of films that I've yet to see that I feel would probably be on there, chiefly of which include: Dog Star Man (have the dvd but want to be in the right mood before watching it),  Phantom of liberty, All the Real Girls, It's all about love, Gerry, Godard's films, Dreyer's Films, and many more.
(I'm not rich enough for blind buys and my local video stores do not have much, of course) Also, lists like this are constantly fluctuating.
Everyone put yours up. Join in with and to the mania.

1.  Magnolia
2.  Adaptation
3.  Amelie
4.  The Celebration
5.  Jesus' Son
6.  Memento
7.  Being John Malkovich
8.  Punch Drunk Love
9.  HEAD
10. O Lucky Man!
11. Buffalo '66
12. Requiem for a Dream
13. 8 1/2
14. Network
15. Slacker
16. Rushmore
17. Eraserhead
18. Crumb
19. Being There
20. Pulp Fiction
21. Bottle Rocket
22. George Washington
23. The Shawshank Redemption
24. Swingers
25. American Movie
26. The Royal Tenenbaums
27. Reservoir Dogs
28. Jackie Brown
29. 2001: A Space Odyssey
30. The Stalker
31. Groundhog Day
32. Love Liza
33. Pi
34. Fight Club
35. Dr. Strangelove
36. Waking Life
37. The Thin Red Line
38. My Own Private Idaho
39. Boogie Nights
40. Mulholland Dr.
41. American Beauty
42. Twelve Monkeys
43. Pleasantville
44. Fargo
45. Faces
46. The Graduate
47. Manhattan
48. Un Chien Andalou
49. Untitled (For Marilyn)
50. Hard Eight
51. The Man Who Wasn't There
52. Harold and Maude
53. High Fidelity
54. Solaris (orig.)   
55. The Red Balloon
56. Meshes of the Afternoon
57. The Truman Show
58. Wet Hot American Summer
59. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
60. Sweet and Lowdown
61. Bowling for Columbine
62. The Straight Story
63. Commingled Containers
64. The Sweet Hereafter
65. Ordinary People
66. A Clockwork Orange
67. Blue Velvet
68. Office Space
69. Goodfellas
70. Hedwig and the Angry Inch   
71. Don't Look Back
72. L.A. Confidential
73. Crimes and Misdemeanors
74. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
75. Lost Highway
76. Interiors
77. Annie Hall
78. Human Nature
79. Donnie Darko
80. Trainspotting
81. Cast Away
82. Raising Arizona
83. At Land
84. Quiz Show
85. Sex and Lucia
86. Snatch
87. The Good Girl
88. Run Lola Run
89. The Usual Suspects
90. The Princess and the Warrior
91. The City of Lost Children
92. Searching for Bobby Fischer
93. A Civil Action
94. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
95. Belle De Jour
96. Julien Donkey Boy
97. Minnie and Moskowitz
98. Shine
99. Good Will Hunting
100. Full Frontal
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

Duck Sauce

Keener

As much as I love Jackie Brown, I would never put it on a top 100 list. I would do a list but there are so many classics I've yet to see that I would hate to leave out.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Pedro

modage

i think that maybe 100 movies is too many.  you dont have to discriminate.  we're all going \to have (more or less) the same lists.  blah blah blah 2001, taxi driver, magnolia, etc.  plus ranking one above another takes serious thought and doing that 100 times is going to be really really time consuming.  thats why the top 5 was more interesting because it forces you to really examine what you love more.  maybe something like a top 20, because then you still have to choose.  just a suggestion.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I found I could get a real definitive list with 25. Some favorites still get left off, but it's big enough to include most important (to you), and also to still have rank mean something.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pas

I don't get the obsession with 'tops' .. especially top hundred. Just how better is, say, 45 than 79 ? Maybe it's just me that is not mathematical enough, but I really cannot say if I prefer a movie I really love to another movie I really love. Can't grade them anyway else than the number of times I've seen them.

I still at least like, often love, every movie on your list though  :lol:

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenI found I could get a real definitive list with 25. Some favorites still get left off, but it's big enough to include most important (to you), and also to still have rank mean something.

Quote from: BoothI don't get the obsession with 'tops' .. especially top hundred. Just how better is, say, 45 than 79?

boy, were we on the same page.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I couldn't do a top 100. Way too many movies to list to even care about. I'd maybe try for the first 50 or so but then just do the rest only to finish. 25 is a nice number and I'd could do that if I put a few days thought to it. I wouldn't go for any historic list, but a very personal list of influence that would more mirror everyone's else's kind of list than not. I don't feel confident to play history major and for this list, personal is more interesting.

Only one PTA film would be in the top 25 though, and thats Punch-Drunk Love.

Instead of trying to go for 100, I think everyone can make an effort to go for 25. I'll try myself.

modage

SoNowThen

Okay, cool.

D'you guys wanna try something really sweet, and compile some sorta final rank, just for fun, to see the Ultimate Xixax list.

I would think that each #1 movie would get 3 points, with each other movie getting one point. Then, of course, we create the final list from the added points of all. In case of a tie... I dunno, we go with average higher ranking on individual lists.

Is this okay, or too much?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

sounds like a good idea to me.  :)
as long as you call it the...

REALLY SWEET FINAL RANK JUST FOR FUN ULTIMATE XIXAX LIST

SoNowThen

Excellent
*taps fingers like Mr Burns*

I shall take a night and give this some serious thought, with pondering in front of the dvd shelf.

I did my top 25 about a month ago, but I lost the list. I don't think much has changed since then.

Pas

As for points, I would rather propose #1 gets 25 points, #2 24 and so on ... not that I will participate, it's just more logical

modage

my top 10

1. cool as ice
2. weekend at bernies 2
3. baby geniuses
4. mannequin: on the move
5. mighty morphin power rangers: the movie
6. spice world
7. cop and 1/2
8. problem child 2
9. mortal kombat: annihilation
10. batman and robin