VANILLA SKY QUESTION...

Started by finlayr, April 27, 2003, 05:48:57 PM

ProgWRX

-Carlos

chainsmoking insomniac

Fast Times, Jerry Maguire, and Almost Famous are terrific fucking movies.  Vanilla Sky, it seemed to me, overstepped it's bounds.  The sci-fi ending was exceedingly corny I thought, and had no place in that movie.  Sorry, but that's just my opinion.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

ProgWRX

the "sci fi ending" is that way in the original movie, this being a re-make, so unless cameron were ballsy enough to mess with the movie in such a huge level, you cant really blame him for the way the story is.

besides, what really moves people about the movie has nothing to do with the main plot devise, its more of the themes behind that sci fi story, at least in my case.
-Carlos

chainsmoking insomniac

Maybe what I'm saying is he should have been ballsy to change the ending, because the ending sucked.  :roll:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

finlayr

Well said, PROGWRX.  

The ending to Vanilla Sky did NOT suck!!  That's the last thing it did.  The only thing it should've sucked was Oscar's balls.
Filmmaker

ProgWRX

while i love the movie, i dont believe it was "oscar" material, i do think that the cinematography by john toll should've gotten at least a nomination...

not since the near perfect magnolia had i been moved in such a way when watching a movie in the threater

but thats just me... the guy with Cameron Crowe on his sig  :P
-Carlos

Sleuth

I would like you to better explain why the ending sucked
I like to hug dogs

phil marlowe

dont really wanna talk about then ending cause id allready given up on the movie on that point. when the 'should whe listen to jeff buckley or should we listen radiohead' ot whatever line hit the screen i couldnt take anymore. rest of the movie seemed laughable and stereotypish after that. caracters, emotions, feel, music...bah.

fucking penelope cruz.

chainsmoking insomniac

Damn, thanks Marlowe.  My sentiments exactly.  
I think they should have gotten rid of the sci-fi ending.  Like I said before,  this movie couldn't make up its mind. I saw this movie as being much darker than it was...a story of obsession, of scorned love, of betrayal.  If Crowe would have kept on that line instead of mindfucking us so badly, I would have like the movie alot better.
Call me crazy or whatever you like........ 8)
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

RegularKarate

I have no problems with the end... it was the rest of the movie that sucked.

Especially the "should we listen to Radiohead?" scene, but I let that go at first... unfortunately, I was never paid back for tolerated such a pathetic attempt at appearing hip.

I really do hate to diss this movie because I like Cameron Crowe, he seems like a real good guy and I like most of his movies, but this one was just wrong in so many ways.

It wasn't even a mind-fuck... it wanted to be a mindfuck, but it ended up just being a plain bad flick.

"Ask me again in another life, when we are both cats"... what kind of shit is that?

budgie

And just who would say 'but I swallowed your cum' with a straight face?

Sigur Rós

Quote from: budgieAnd just who would say 'but I swallowed your cum' with a straight face?

This board is getting rotten!

ProgWRX

granted that part was really over the top, and i preferred the spanish actress' subdued acting in that scene, but i dont know if you've ever been in the type of relationship portrayed by them, but its not uncommon to speak bluntly of past sexual encounters, specially when pissed @ the other person...
:wink:

but yeah, i cringed with the rest of the world with those two lines (the swallowing and the "when were both cats" line, which according to cameron crowe, is just something that Penelope told him personally once, and he wanted to add it to the movie, but it just doesnt make sense in context)
-Carlos

budgie

Quote from: ProgWRXbut i dont know if you've ever been in the type of relationship portrayed by them, but its not uncommon to speak bluntly of past sexual encounters, specially when pissed @ the other person...
:wink:

I've been in many pissed encounters, and I've never said it. But then I always spit.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: budgieI've been in many pissed encounters, and I've never said it. But then I always spit.

hhmmmm....