What DVDs should Criterion put out?

Started by CollinBullock, March 18, 2003, 03:02:15 PM

modage

Quote from: billybrowninferior product

i could be mistaken but i thought i remember reading when dvd was first rising to power about 5 years ago that the picture quality of a dvd was EQUAL to a laserdisc, but that laserdiscs actually do have BETTER sound.  the only thing wrong with them is their size is inconvienent, but i wouldnt call that inferior and dismiss it as a blip.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Quote from: billybrown
Quote from: Pbilly brown loved laserdiscs once, then they broke his heart.

Alas, you got me. I was soo madly in love with Miss. Laser Disc, only to be left at the altar.  :cry:

However, once I met Miss DVD, at a time when I didn't think love was at all possible again, I realized what a dirty, crappy, useless whore Laser Disc was, and have seen and heard the majestic light of DVD ever since.

:lol:

"useless whore".... fucking classic
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

billybrown

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: billybrowninferior product

i could be mistaken but i thought i remember reading when dvd was first rising to power about 5 years ago that the picture quality of a dvd was EQUAL to a laserdisc, but that laserdiscs actually do have BETTER sound.  the only thing wrong with them is their size is inconvienent, but i wouldnt call that inferior and dismiss it as a blip.

I've never heard that, ever... can we have confirmation out there, anyone?

billybrown

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: billybrown
Quote from: Pbilly brown loved laserdiscs once, then they broke his heart.

Alas, you got me. I was soo madly in love with Miss. Laser Disc, only to be left at the altar.  :cry:

However, once I met Miss DVD, at a time when I didn't think love was at all possible again, I realized what a dirty, crappy, useless whore Laser Disc was, and have seen and heard the majestic light of DVD ever since.

:lol:

"useless whore".... fucking classic

:wink:

nix

I heard things like that from people that I trusted about as far as I could throw John Goodman.

I can't really tell a difference in sound quality... But maybe I'm just a dumb fuck.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

bonanzataz

well, i believe (but do not know for sure) i know where the myth of laserdisc's better sound comes from. i guarantee i heard this on the board somewhere. since laserdiscs were very expensive, they were obviously made for rich people. if a rich person was buying a laserdisc player, they wanted to show off that sound and would most likely have a killer sound system. dvd's are sold for cheap. anybody can have them. that doesn't necessarily mean everybody has a killer sound system. b/c of this, the standard 5.1 track on a dvd is downmixed so people who just use the speakers on the tv can hear everything while the 5.1 tracks on the laserdiscs weren't. am i right? i don't think so. sorry.

laserdiscs are rockin'... AND rollin'. dvd's are better, but laserdiscs kick ass.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cine

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetbut no chance on La Dolce Vita. Its getting a special edition release sometime next year (June, last I heard) from another company.
Koch Lorber will be giving it a 2-disc collector's edition treatment for an August release.

So with the Scorsese box set and this announced, this is the best weekend ever. Cheers, everyone.

Ravi

Quote from: bonanzatazwell, i believe (but do not know for sure) i know where the myth of laserdisc's better sound comes from. i guarantee i heard this on the board somewhere. since laserdiscs were very expensive, they were obviously made for rich people. if a rich person was buying a laserdisc player, they wanted to show off that sound and would most likely have a killer sound system. dvd's are sold for cheap. anybody can have them. that doesn't necessarily mean everybody has a killer sound system. b/c of this, the standard 5.1 track on a dvd is downmixed so people who just use the speakers on the tv can hear everything while the 5.1 tracks on the laserdiscs weren't. am i right? i don't think so. sorry.

That's correct.  Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks on DVDs are often mixed so that they still sound okay when downconverted to Dolby Surround for people with Pro-Logic systems.  I remember reading on alt.video.dvd and alt.video.ld that the 5.1 track on The Matrix LD was better than on the DVD.  LDs used the uncompressed PCM track for 2-channel tracks (mono, stereo, Dolby Surround) while DVD uses the compressed Dolby Digital tracks.

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: The Gold Trumpetbut no chance on La Dolce Vita. Its getting a special edition release sometime next year (June, last I heard) from another company.
Koch Lorber will be giving it a 2-disc collector's edition treatment for an August release.

So with the Scorsese box set and this announced, this is the best weekend ever. Cheers, everyone.

Best Buy should have an Xixax section, with all the money we spend on DVDs.

Stefen

Criterion should really put out a Fearless dvd. I think it's a great movie and it needs a good treatment. Actually, anybody should just put out a good Fearless dvd.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

:yabbse-thumbup:  (Even though it's already on DVD.)

MacGuffin

Quote from: ono.:yabbse-thumbup:  (Even though it's already on DVD.)

In full frame.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Haha, never mind then.  :)  (I saw it on VHS.)

Stefen

Yeah, it's one of those old warner dvd's witch nothing on it. And the movie is indeed in full frame. I don't know why they haven't released a better dvd version.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Florya Naoki

hedwig

The Life Aquatic
Sydney
The Twin Peaks Pilot -- that'd be coo.
Go Further
Being John Malkovich
Maria Full of Grace