What DVDs should Criterion put out?

Started by CollinBullock, March 18, 2003, 03:02:15 PM

godardian

They had Naked- Mike Leigh's best film and easily one of the best films of the nineties- on laserdisc, and there's no DVD of it anywhere yet. They should give us movie-lovers a gift and release it on the little disc.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Just Withnail

Welcome back, god, you've been missed.

Rumors are they bought the DVD rights from New Line, along with Short Cuts, My Own Private Idaho and one more that I'm forgetting. Right GT?

samsong

I would love to see Criterion add Nicholas Ray to the collection.  I'm dying to see Johnny Guitar and Bigger Than Life, both of which I'm assuming are worthy of a Criterion treatment.  If they put They Live By Night on DVD I'll worship the ground they walk on.

Went a bit crazy... all of these are either films I love and want to see Criterion release them or films that I haven't and can't see and want Criterion to provide them, as I count on the Collection for furthering my education.

MORE GODARD, especially Week End.
MORE BRESSON... period.
MORE TATI... I'm especially curious about Trafic.  Supposedly Playtime -- an absolute masterpiece, one of the most perfect and beautiful films ever made -- is in the works so I won't go there
MORE OZU... Late Spring, please.
MORE BUNUEL... Un Chien Andalou + L'Age d'Or
MORE PRESTON STURGES... Unfaithfully Yours!!!
HOWARD HAWKS... his films deserve Criterion treatments.
BELA TARR... Satantango would be orgasmic (I haven't seen it), as is the concept of him getting some exposure in the US/Canada.
MORE KIAROSTAMI... Taste of Cherry was a life-changing experience for me.  I would like more of them.
BOTTLE ROCKET (like everyone else) ... my favorite Wes Anderson.
THE IDIOTS... my favorite Lars von Trier.
JACQUES RIVETTE... I absolutely love La Belle noiseuse and think it only fair to add him to the collection along with his Nouvelle Vague peers (Godard, Truffaut, Resnais, Varda), because he's most definitely worthy.  I think the same can be said about Eric Rohmer and Claude Chabrol but I haven't seen any of their films yet.
EMIR KUSTURICA... next to seeing Underground projected on a big screen, seeing it as restored and transfered by Criterion would be one of my greatest joys as a cinephile.  I'd love to see his other films too.
THE CONFORMIST (obviously)... Bertolucci's best film, the Citizen Kane of the 70s, and one of my very favorite films.

And I think this is where I'll stop... for today.

context, context, context.

godardian

Quote from: samsongI would love to see Criteiron add Nicholas Ray to the collection.  I'm dying to see Johnny Guitar and Bigger Than Life, both of which I'm assuming are worthy of a Criterion treatment.

Yes! Yes! YES!!

I can vouch for Johnny Guitar, and from what I saw in Martin Scorsese's Personal Journey Through American Film, I'd put my money on Bigger Than Life being fantastic, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianThey had Naked- Mike Leigh's best film and easily one of the best films of the nineties- on laserdisc, and there's no DVD of it anywhere yet.
there is on region 4. and it's crap. (the dvd)
under the paving stones.

Alethia

Quote from: samsongI would love to see Criterion add Nicholas Ray to the collection.  I'm dying to see Johnny Guitar and Bigger Than Life, both of which I'm assuming are worthy of a Criterion treatment.  If they put They Live By Night on DVD I'll worship the ground they walk on.

Went a bit crazy... all of these are either films I love and want to see Criterion release them or films that I haven't and can't see and want Criterion to provide them, as I count on the Collection for furthering my education.

MORE GODARD, especially Week End.
MORE BRESSON... period.
MORE TATI... I'm especially curious about Trafic.  Supposedly Playtime -- an absolute masterpiece, one of the most perfect and beautiful films ever made -- is in the works so I won't go there
MORE OZU... Late Spring, please.
MORE BUNUEL... Un Chien Andalou + L'Age d'Or
MORE PRESTON STURGES... Unfaithfully Yours!!!
HOWARD HAWKS... his films deserve Criterion treatments.
BELA TARR... Satantango would be orgasmic (I haven't seen it), as is the concept of him getting some exposure in the US/Canada.
MORE KIAROSTAMI... Taste of Cherry was a life-changing experience for me.  I would like more of them.
BOTTLE ROCKET (like everyone else) ... my favorite Wes Anderson.
THE IDIOTS... my favorite Lars von Trier.
JACQUES RIVETTE... I absolutely love La Belle noiseuse and think it only fair to add him to the collection along with his Nouvelle Vague peers (Godard, Truffaut, Resnais, Varda), because he's most definitely worthy.  I think the same can be said about Eric Rohmer and Claude Chabrol but I haven't seen any of their films yet.
EMIR KUSTURICA... next to seeing Underground projected on a big screen, seeing it as restored and transfered by Criterion would be one of my greatest joys as a cinephile.  I'd love to see his other films too.
THE CONFORMIST (obviously)... Bertolucci's best film, the Citizen Kane of the 70s, and one of my very favorite films.

And I think this is where I'll stop... for today.

boy you said it mister.  especially on nicholas ray...they need to do more early sam fullers too...and release his 4 hour version of the big red one

godardian

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: godardianThey had Naked- Mike Leigh's best film and easily one of the best films of the nineties- on laserdisc, and there's no DVD of it anywhere yet.
there is on region 4. and it's crap. (the dvd)

Is it like full frame, or a bad print or something? A few years back, they were showing a nice widescreen/letterbox version on Independent Film Channel, often w/ a very interesting Mike Leigh commentary which I assume would've also been on the Criterion LD... anyway, I think the film's a classic and it deserves a great DVD. Too bad the Reg. 4 version doesn't do it justice... but is it at least better than nothing, P? Or is the disc so poor it actually distracts from the film?

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianIs it like full frame, or a bad print or something? A few years back, they were showing a nice widescreen/letterbox version on Independent Film Channel, often w/ a very interesting Mike Leigh commentary which I assume would've also been on the Criterion LD... anyway, I think the film's a classic and it deserves a great DVD. Too bad the Reg. 4 version doesn't do it justice... but is it at least better than nothing, P? Or is the disc so poor it actually distracts from the film?
it's full frame, and has no features whatsoever. and the tranfer is not much better than it was the last time i saw it on tv.

but i love the movie quite a bit, and since i wore out the tape i had it on, this crappy version is by default slightly better than nothing.

not only does it need a great criterion release, it would go a long way to giving it the revival and rediscovery it deserves. cos not many ppl realise how brilliant it is.
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Withnail & GarfunkelWelcome back, god, you've been missed.

Rumors are they bought the DVD rights from New Line, along with Short Cuts, My Own Private Idaho and one more that I'm forgetting. Right GT?

Just Withnail

I think the rumors started popping up after Short Cuts was confirmed. Nothing more than it being a very probable release. You should definitely check out CriterionForum.org for all your Criterion needs :)

Pedro

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: flagpolespecial
Quote from: Withnail & Garfunkel
Quote from: Withnail & GarfunkelWelcome back, god, you've been missed.

ahh yes.. thank you. i knew i read someone mention it. have you heard any more on it since then? i mean short cuts has been confirmed and is coming out next month and all. any news on 'my own private idaho'??

The only concrete news on My Own Private Idaho is that it is [likely] in production as we speak. Van Sant recently handed over a lot of material to Criterion for their DVD. As for the other films likely involved in that New Line deal.......Hoop Dreams, Crash, Damage, Naked and An Angel at my Table, but expect My Own Private Idaho sometime next year. I doubt it will be in the very near future, but next year is good enough.

As for some other requests....Godard's Weekend is getting released next year by New Yorker. Bunuel is going to likely get a huge offering next year with The Phantom of Liberty and Milky Way. Interesting enough, just yesterday, someone through asking Jon Mulvaney found out Criterion is near to announcing the release of either The Exterminating Angel or Viridiania or both. Also expect some Rivette soon, but more according to when Rialto can get around to re-releasing them first.

Alethia

SiliasRuby

I Am Cuba
Is there any information on this title coming to Criterion GT, or not?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection