Breaking the Waves Criterion

Started by av8raaron, March 09, 2003, 12:19:01 AM

av8raaron

Anybody know if Criterion ever released "Breaking the Waves" on DVD or if there are any plans to do so?  I know there's some extra stuff on the out-of-print laser disc, but as much as I like the film I have a hard time of justifying the purchase of a player for a single disc.
Fresh buttered toast.

sphinx

criterion hasn't release 'waves' on dvd, and it's a rare instance when they get their laser disc titles to upgrade to dvd...guffy will probably have more info on who has the rights and if they feel like giving them up...

MacGuffin

Artisan currently has the rights:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

av8raaron

Thanks!  I've got the Artisan DVD, I was just a little disappointed with the lack of extras (nothing, save for a poorly done theatrical trailer).  IMDB tells me the version Criterion put out has about four minutes of footage that didn't appear in the U.S. theatrical release.
Fresh buttered toast.

MacGuffin

Quote from: av8raaronthe version Criterion put out has about four minutes of footage that didn't appear in the U.S. theatrical release.

Plus four deleted scenes and a promo clip for the 1996 Cannes Film Festival.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Don't count on a Breaking the Waves Criterion ever. Just not happening. And difference between Artisan dvd and Criterion laser disc, on the Criterion laser disc, you got the uncut European version.

~rougerum

av8raaron

Okay, long shot here - is there a European version DVD (I realize it wouldn't play on a region 1 DVD player) floating around out there?
Fresh buttered toast.

Gold Trumpet

not in US, no. Only dvd that exists is the artisan one.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: av8raaronis there a European version DVD (I realize it wouldn't play on a region 1 DVD player) floating around out there?

Here's the Region 2 version:

Dual-Layer, 153 Minutes, color, 2.29 : 1 (partially 2.5 : 1) widescreen transfer (Super 35 / later transfered to anamorph Cinemascope ratio
2.0 Dolby Digital Stereo in English (with non-optional German subtitles) & German; no captions  
16x9 enhanced
Extras: Trailer

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffin
2.29 : 1 (partially 2.5 : 1)

What does this mean?

sphinx

i believe it means the film changes aspect ratios in parts

av8raaron

Without having seen the Region 2 disc, it's probably a reference to the difference ratio during the chapter openings.
Fresh buttered toast.

Mark2003

Hi,
I came across this thread through a Google search, i hope you don't mind me digging it up again.

I found this Region 0 Korean DVD, does anyone know anything regarding this release?:

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=9645

It features a DTS and DD5.1 soundtrack, and according to the running time it seems to be the european cut.  What's odd though is i also found this DVD for sale at eBay but it lists the running time at 155 minutes.  I've tried contacting the seller for more details but no reply yet.

It's release date was the 15th of March, they also have a version out of stock released 10th October 2002.

Any information regarding this Region 0 DTS release is appreciated,
Mark

Mark2003

I forgot to ask another question; do you think there'd be any censoring?  I've read that a common form on censorship in Asian movies is blurring, one form i'm hoping is not on the dvd is when they pause the film (freeze frame) on explicit shots but keep the audio running.  After the scene is over the film is resumed.

Mark

supremelegend

I have the region 2 2-Disc special edition...it has the uncut version, commentary, deleted scenes, emily watson's screen test, documetary, etc... it's pretty sweet.