donnie darko dvd versions?

Started by tpfkabi, March 08, 2003, 10:09:06 PM

tpfkabi

i believe i read that they recently rereleased DD on DVD and it has a couple of more things....an extra commentary and anatomy of a scene thingy

is this true or just misinformation?

i just saw this film a couple weeks ago.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

sphinx

there have been rumors floating around that there will be a donnie darko rerelease sometime in the future, but that hasn't been substantiated.  there is only one release so far, and the 'anatomy of a scene' featurette listed on the box of the dvd isn't included on the dvd.  don't know what the extra commentary this rumour speaks of.  can you point out to me where you first heard it?

picolas

Quote from: sphinxthe 'anatomy of a scene' featurette listed on the box of the dvd isn't included on the dvd.

i demand an explanation for that. Mac? sick fins? Richard Kelly?

tpfkabi

i have no clue. it's a blur. i just saw the film and read what i could.
so the anatomy of a scene is actually printed on the box? hmmm...
if i remember correctly, Kelly said he wished that Criterion would do a version for him........do you think that would ever happen?

sphinx

doubbbbt it.  fox ain't gonna let go of the rights to those  (i think it's fox)

tpfkabi

they're selling it for so cheap......i wonder if the british release will have different things......its in theaters there now i believe......does criterion actually own the rights? films like The Royal tenenbaums are released originally through them........maybe its part ownership?

sphinx

Quote from: bigideasthey're selling it for so cheap......i wonder if the british release will have different things......its in theaters there now i believe......does criterion actually own the rights? films like The Royal tenenbaums are released originally through them........maybe its part ownership?

touchstone/criterion had a dealy-thing when they released tenenbaums, but before that they had released rushmore first and then criterion got their hands on it.  you can expect a criterion version of wes' next film, and a 50% chance of seeing bottle rocket on criterion.

criterion does not own the rights to donnie darko, no, but the british version will probably have different cover art, i don't know about the features.

tpfkabi

i structured the sentence funny.....i didn't think criterion had DD, i just thought, they could go part and part like RT........oh, but now i get what you're saying.....like rushmore was released by the original owner, DD has been released.......hmm, we'll never know til we know that we know, we know, do you know

Rudie Obias

Quote from: sphinx

you can expect a criterion version of wes' next film, and a 50% chance of seeing bottle rocket on criterion.

goddamn!  i would love this.  a criterion version of BOTTLE ROCKET would seem logical.  i really think this film is a lot better than THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS.  a commentary track would be cool too.  wes anderon and owen wilson talking about the bright yellow jump suits and cool nicknames like apple jack and rowboat.  it would also seem that criterion would include the short film BOTTLE ROCKET on the dvd.  i can dream, can i?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Duck Sauce

The Bottle Rocket Criterion rumors have been flying around for over a year now, and still no news. I wish Criterion would release some more recent and contemporary films.

sphinx

Quote from: Duck SauceThe Bottle Rocket Criterion rumors have been flying around for over a year now, and still no news. I wish Criterion would release some more recent and contemporary films.

just remember that in 20 years, if criterion still exists, we'll all be in dvd heaven when they release films that were actually released when we were alive.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: Duck SauceThe Bottle Rocket Criterion rumors have been flying around for over a year now, and still no news. I wish Criterion would release some more recent and contemporary films.

just remember that in 20 years, if criterion still exists, we'll all be in dvd heaven when they release films that were actually released when we were alive.

DVDs wont make it that long

sphinx

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwaiOK, in which scene in da movie is the Tears for Fears song "Head over heels"? (I can't be arsed).

That long slo-mo stedi-cam shot that starts with Donnie getting off the bus and goes through the hallwall of the school, etc.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

What's the big deal about Criterion? Seriously, most dvds that come out have more shit on them anyway than most Criterions. AND they're half the price.

I can see preserving older films like this and putting them into a line such as this, but do we really need a Donnie Darko CC or a Bottle Rocket CC? I think not.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.