NTSC VS PAL

Started by metroshane, December 27, 2004, 03:12:23 PM

metroshane

I want to send a copy of my movie to a buddy in Belgium.  So I guess I need to send him a PAL version?  OK, so I can make a PAL movie out of FCP...but how do you make iDVD burn it in PAL?  And if I send him an NTSC...can computers play both types of DVD...or is it segregated like TVs?

Basically what do I need to do?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Kal

I think there is no difference when it comes to DVD players... the important thing is that the DVD is Region Free. Other than that, I think PAL/NTSC works with regular TV and VHS, but not for DVDs. I may be wrong, but I dont think so

Redlum

Firstly, I haven't used FCP before but I know that NTSC to PAL conversion on software I have (and in general) is tricky to do well. I dont know how much you know about it but NTSC is running at 30fps and PAL at 25fps. If done badly, a conversion can cause the footage to stutter.

If he's watching it on his pc, it doesnt matter whether its Pal/Ntsc aslong as its not region coded (and even then there are ways). For playback on a television through a dvd player it is also not a problem for the footage to be NTSC aslong as both the TV and DVD are fairly modern (and again there is no region coding, assuming the player is not multi-region).

Here's a good page I found when I had to do this, less of a 'How-to' more of a briefing of the technicals of whats happening when you convert.

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNTSC.asp

A post on another forum suggested it could be as easy as this:

Quoteexport the video from FCP as an MPEG 2 then after you open your authoring program iDVD or Studio Pro, set the Prefrences for PAL, import the MPEG 2 and your end results will be a PAL disk.

But I don't know what the quality will be like.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

metroshane

Thanks for the quick replies.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Jeremy Blackman

Important question for anyone who knows about playing PAL DVDs on a Mac...

Would it be possible for me to [permamently] set my internal drive to PAL and my external to NSTC... so I never have to do any more switching (since the switching is limited)?

Reinhold

when i export originally NTSC footage from FCP to iDVD and burn it in PAL, i get a green bar down the side of the screen. wtf, mate?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.