What's In Your DVD Player?

Started by cine, April 26, 2004, 07:29:53 PM

polkablues

It sounds like a movie that 03 somehow willed into existence.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

^I thought it was very fitting that the only mention of the film on the whole board was by 03.

I miss him  :yabbse-angry:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Neil

I've been raiding the library with films that i've read about for years.  Some of the films i've gotten to see recently are:

Sullivan's Travels (Sturges)
The Night of the Hunter (laughton)
Blow-out (de palma)
Out of the past
The Blob (58)

The first two are 2 of the best movies i've ever seen.  4 out of 5 were criterions and the bonus features were just great.  Especially the commentary on Sullivan's Travels
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Sleepless

Last night I rewatched Northfork. It's still slow going at times, but I think I enjoyed it more this time round because I wasn't expecting the weird Lynchian film I had been led to believe it would be upon my initial viewing. Definitely worth a watch if you're in a quiet mood and have a couple of hours free. An interesting side note: it was shot entirely using just natural light sources.

My description of the premise:
Angels have long run wild in the small town of Northfork but they are dying out thanks to excessive hunting for their precious wings. One preacher now helps these butchered angel children find adoptive human parents. Meanwhile, a group of suited men are faced with challenge of evicting the final few stranglers from the town before it is flooded to create a new hydroelectric dam which will forever wipe Northfork off the map.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

ono

Grandma, what a big DVD Blu-Ray player you have.

jenkins

"The reigning king of Southwestern noir."
–Nick Pinkerton, The Village Voice

^the quote on the blu-ray case that roped me in. i'm lucky to have a friend who buys these expensive twilight releases, and this one had particular interest for me because of that quote and because of richard fleischer

within the los angeles movie community, quentin tarantino has brought the name richard fleischer back to life, through showing his movies at the new bev. and i tell ya what, he's kinda the classic qt pick -- he doesn't have a solid rep but he's an absolute goddamn delight

examples of richard fleischer directing:
armored car robbery
the narrow margin
20,000 leagues under the sea
violent saturday
the vikings
compulsion (orson welles)
barabbas
doctor dolittle
the boston strangler (tony curtis/henry fonda)
*the last run
see no evil
*the new centurions
soylent green
mr. majestyk
mandingo
the jazz singer
amityville 3-d
conon the destroyer
red sonja

* the two i saw at new bev. and everyone who saw it assured me that it was a major fuckup of mine to not have gone to see mandingo. and if that list sparked some memories for you, it should also be noted richard is the son of max fleischer. his life was the dream, basically

violent saturday is a cinematic soap opera with southern charm, i'd say something like ruthless + cat on a hit tin roof + bank robbery. i'd say it's like an almodóvar melodrama, ripe with camera and personality and intrigue and surprise. just a fucking popping movie. there's one part when a character majorly disses another character the other character sinks into a diss-spiral, and a father explains to his son why not all men who go to wars come back with medals, how not all men are heroes, and later the father cries, and things like that happen again and again. loved it

Reel

Glad to hear it. Wow, he's got one hell of a track record. Done some really interesting things but no one ever brings up his name. Red Sonja is always on the el ray network, but the only one I've really seen of his is 'Mandingo'. Not an enjoyable film, but it sure pushes some buttons and the photography is great. Amity 3 is something I should check out too, since I'm catching up on those ( stay away from the the first one at all costs, btw ). I wonder what 'Armored Car Robbery' is about... :ponder:

Me,

pretty nuts.  Nothing too interesting has happened yet, except a guy said "I'm not a fag, but.." and propositioned Jeff Bridges because he felt like "Something different". That was pretty good, hope there's some more of that. Directed by Burgess Meredith of 'Rocky' fame.  I can't tell if James Mason is pretending to be Chinese or Irish. The music is hilariously lame.

Axolotl

Quote from: Reelist on March 22, 2015, 06:12:59 PM
Directed by Burgess Meredith of 'Rocky' fame.
That's not fair...

Find Your Magali

Some of the stuff I've watched in the past few months:

Letter Never Sent 
Nashville
Tokyo Story 
Wild Strawberries
Good Morning 
Last Year at Marienbad
The Spirit of the Beehive
Stalker
La Pointe Courte
The World at War (1970s doc)
Modern Times
Ugetsu

Ozu just really meshes well with my overall mindset these days, and Varda is a revelation.

putneyswipe

Letter Never Sent has been sitting on my shelf for years. Need to give it a run eventually.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: putneyswipe on February 02, 2020, 04:25:42 PM
Letter Never Sent has been sitting on my shelf for years. Need to give it a run eventually.

It's jaw-droppingly beautiful. Cinematography ahead of its time.

Story leaves much to be desired, but if you view it as a relic of Soviet cinematic propaganda it's fascinating & absolutely worth a viewing.

jenkins

that's accurate so he's trust worthy

all y'all who haven't seen it need to know that spirit of the beehive isn't an anomaly as in el sur is mad legit. it's the kind of good that makes you realize how good good can be

Find Your Magali

Quote from: jenkins on February 03, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
that's accurate so he's trust worthy

all y'all who haven't seen it need to know that spirit of the beehive isn't an anomaly as in el sur is mad legit. it's the kind of good that makes you realize how good good can be

Thanks for the recommend. I'll track down El Sur.
Spirit of the Beehive just sticks with you, so I can see where Erice is worth additional looks.