Working on your dream?

Started by kotte, January 27, 2004, 02:45:38 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: ElPandaRoyalHe hates everybody.
what kind of random shit is this? way to turn sumthing good into sumthing bad, guy.

Awww, c'mon, I was joking. Maybe it was not understood and if you took it as an offensive comment, I'm really sorry. Last thing I want is to make people mad, ok Pubrick?  :)  It was not for you to get pissed at all.
Si

cowboykurtis

out of couriosity and compassion -- how is everyone's dream shaping up? if you have one, that is...
...your excuses are your own...

Weak2ndAct

This has been my year:

...Coming off of a disastrous holiday (the money from my last gig ran out, a bonafide career-making deal blew up in my face... I now have a monstrous 'souvenir' contract on my desk that mocks me), I was forced to come back to LA and find gainful employment-- to support said dream.  I got a crappy job, and at first, things were okay.  I had some money in my pocket, movies to watch, all was well.  Once the job became tiresome, I was suddenly offered a development/writing job at a company (basically: creative monkey) through an old connection.  The deal was generous in some ways.  A salary, benefits, an office... way better than my current place of employment-- and it was in the business!  BUT... the job entailed a binding contract which would force me to relinquish my creative soul for some time.  With much hesitation, I declined the 'real' gig and kept my crappy one.  Immediately following this, I took a promotion at the crappy job (needed the money), and I happened to land some management for my writing.  Things were looking up with the career, the job was getting tolerable.  But that didn't last long... the job began to take it's toll-- 'politics' began to take hold, and I couldn't agree with my management on what I should be doing idea-wise.  Depression entrenched itself, and I often considered throwing myself in front of a bus, or just saying 'fuck this,' and bolting town as a plan B.  Suddenly-- quite out of character for me-- I quit the crappy job.  I scraped together some funds to live off of for a while, and dove head-first back into my work.  I may be unemployed, unshaven, and unshowered... but I've got some tangible writing to show.  One's being revised to go out as a spec, and the other I'm hell-bent on directing.  The spark has been rekindled...

cowboykurtis

if you dont mind me asking, what was the nature of this career making deal?

Ghostboy

My dream has actually taken considerable physical form, moreso in the last year than ever before -- but in the past two months, its progress has slowed so considerably that I frequently forget where I am (which is still nowhere, but only mildly so).

In the meantime, I'm given courage by Weak2ndAct's post -- I left my barely-tolerable job in February and have been barely eking by, financially, since then. Lately it's gotten really tough, and I'm probably gonna have to get a 'real' job very soon (it's almost Christmas time, after all, gotta buy presents), but it's always encouraging to hear that other people are suffering for their art/integrity.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: cowboykurtisif you dont mind me asking, what was the nature of this career making deal?
I wrote a movie, talent got attached, a studio wanted in, and then deal terms between business affairs and all the representaion was a nightmare (I can't count the number of people involved and the confusion that ensued).  The movie is hardly a sure-thing-hit, so with all madness, the money walked.  The deal would have gotten me a nice sum of loot (just re-reading the terms makes me shudder), my name in the trades, and it would have gotten the proverbial ball rolling.

cowboykurtis

im sorry man -- if you've gotten that far once, it's bound to happen again. as trivial as it sounds, everything happens for a reason, one may not see why at first, but it will all work out for the best in the end, i truly believe that -- keep doing what you're doing -- i wish you the best of luck.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: cowboykurtisas trivial as it sounds, everything happens for a reason
When I read that, I almost spit my coffee on the screen.  Those are the EXACT words that a family member of mine constantly invokes when anything good/bad happens in my life.  It's become a joke of sorts amongst the rest of us, we yell it constantly.  Still though, thanks for the kind words.

kotte

It's been close to a year since the last post. I'm curious what people are doing now...

Myself? Post-producing a short ( ), writing a feature and pre-producing a music video.

Would be more exciting if I wasn't stuck in Writer's Block Hell.

matt35mm

Currently in pre-production (casting) for my short film, Thomas Edison.

I've been circulating the final draft of it to see how it reads for all types of people, and so far the reception has been pretty great.  As my first attempt to making something great, I'd say it's the beginning of my dream.  I'm going for broke on this one.

Weak2ndAct

And the hits just keep on coming:

I laugh rereading my October post, because what happened soon after wasn't pretty... So my time unemployed was fruitful for a bit, but I became horribly depressed.  My management and I could not agree on a script for me to work on-- they were definitely pulling me towards a direction way more 'commercial' than I was used to.  Out of some bizarre notion of politeness (and huge heapings of self-deception), I agreed to write an idea they presented me.  Things were okay for a bit, but the fraud revealed itself, and I was stuck with a piece of crap that I committed to delivering.  I did the best I could for a while, but it didn't take long for me turn to heavy drinking and the constant shifting of deadlines.  And worst of all, the cash was vanishing quick-- time to get a new job.  Out of the blue, my old work called and offered me my job back-- it seemed the bitch I hated got fired.  When it came to put-up-or-shut-up on my script delivery, I just flat out told the truth: I hate the idea, I've been shitfaced for months, and you know what?  I'm gonna write something that I LOVE and I'm not going to tell you what it is.  You'll just see it when it's done.  So I put down the bottle and got to work.  A month later, I had my new flick done, and I was convinced it was my best work yet.  I sent it over to 'my people' with the note that said 'oh yeah, I'm directing this too, no ifs ands or buts.  Their response?  Dismissal on the ground of being 'too edgy' and 'independent.'  It was not the Meet the Fockers they were expecting.  Now-- in the past, situations have risen, where someone tells me I'm wrong, this needs to be done differently, there are plot holes, etc.-- something inherently wrong with the basic math of the script.  But that wasn't the case this time.  It truly was a matter of taste.  There was no denying that the work was good, and that variables added up into a cohesive whole-- it was just whether or not they were willing to put in the work to get this going.  The Me of a couple years ago would have just shelved the material and moved on, but I said 'Fuck This,' and walked.  Away from everyone.  I know I'm right.  I've never been so sure of anything.  So I'm back at square one in a way, meeting people and trying to find someone who shares the same enthusiasm I do.  So far so good, I've gotten some good responses, and some people have offered a helping hand.  We'll see how it goes.  And oh yeah, irony alert: after walking, I randomly came up with my most 'studio' idea yet, which I've started working on.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Weak2ndActAnd oh yeah, irony alert: after walking, I randomly came up with my most 'studio' idea yet, which I've started working on.

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=7232
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

The dream I'm working on at this moment is a good one; it involves a new movie - a better one - hopefully a great one. It takes place in outer space.

Also: a short.

Good movies, I've learned, may not be great in and of themselves, but they do serve as great platforms.

atticus jones

Quote from: matt35mmCurrently in pre-production (casting) for my short film, Thomas Edison.

I've been circulating the final draft of it to see how it reads for all types of people, and so far the reception has been pretty great.  As my first attempt to making something great, I'd say it's the beginning of my dream.  I'm going for broke on this one.

Is casting underway in Los Angeles?

Where/when will you shoot?

I have been unable to stop thinking about your short.

That means it has nice upside or just really bugs.

I'm leaning toward the former, not the latter.

I know a few actors who would absolutely shred this material.

Posting casting info would bring rain drops of talented love.

No pm's please...referred actors will not mention how they were referred.

don't work on your dream...nor dream of your work...simply be...be your work...be the dream...be them all...be them all danny.
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

matt35mm

Quote from: atticus jones
Quote from: matt35mmCurrently in pre-production (casting) for my short film, Thomas Edison.

Is casting underway in Los Angeles?

Where/when will you shoot?

I have been unable to stop thinking about your short.

That means it has nice upside or just really bugs.

I'm leaning toward the former, not the latter.

I know a few actors who would absolutely shred this material.

Posting casting info would bring rain drops of talented love.

No pm's please...referred actors will not mention how they were referred.

don't work on your dream...nor dream of your work...simply be...be your work...be the dream...be them all...be them all danny.
Thanks.  I'm flattered by the interest.  I am in San Diego County, actually.  Casting is currently going on between two high schools.  If I don't find what I want there, I'll open it up wider, but I've been involving these two schools, so they have dibs on the auditions.  If no one wows me, don't worry, I won't settle.  I'll keep it posted in the Thomas Edison thread, and so if after these auditions I'm not satisfied, I'll post casting info.