Schindler's List on DVD?

Started by life_boy, January 09, 2003, 01:50:43 AM

Ravi

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2004/01_14.html

Also announced were the full specs for Steven Spielberg's Oscar-winning Schindler's List, hitting DVD on March 9th. Available in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, extras include a new 77-minute documentary "Voices From the List," the 12-minute featurette "The Shoah Foundation Story with Steven Spielberg," plus cast and crew filmographies and "About Oskar Schindler" historical notes. Retail is $26.95 each, and there will also be a deluxe Collector's Set that includes the widescreen special edition, plus a coffee table book, CD soundtrack, senitype and certificate of authenticity. Retail will cost you $79.95.

Stefen

Quote from: Ravihttp://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2004/01_14.html

Also announced were the full specs for Steven Spielberg's Oscar-winning Schindler's List, hitting DVD on March 9th. Available in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, each with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, extras include a new 77-minute documentary "Voices From the List," the 12-minute featurette "The Shoah Foundation Story with Steven Spielberg," plus cast and crew filmographies and "About Oskar Schindler" historical notes. Retail is $26.95 each, and there will also be a deluxe Collector's Set that includes the widescreen special edition, plus a coffee table book, CD soundtrack, senitype and certificate of authenticity. Retail will cost you $79.95.

$80!?!?!?! That's ludicrious! I think i'll just buy the widescreen regular version and download the coffee table book from the internet.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

Quote from: Stefen
$80!?!?!?! That's ludicrious! I think i'll just buy the widescreen regular version and download the coffee table book from the internet.

I'm sure it will be available for less than that, at least in the first week of release.  

What is the point of the Senitype?  That's a film frame, isn't it?  Kind of a useless extra IMO.

Alethia

i think its a nice little thing to have...i have the et one and i like it

Just Withnail

Quote from: ewardi think its a nice little thing to have...i have the et one and i like it

Yeah. This set will compliment the E.T. one nicely.

Ravi

cine

Quote from: WithnailMy box was cracked :(
Return it.  :?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Withnail

Quote from: Withnail alsoMy box was cracked  :(

........was the ET one craked also....?

modage

apparently from the review at dvdfile the extras basically suck.  all about the real guy/holocaust and nary a word from spielberg or anyone about the actual MAKING of the film.  historical things are interesting, but i dont think they justify leaving out any mention of how/why they made the film and the impact it had etc.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Thrindle

Quote from: themodernage02all about the real guy/holocaust and nary a word from spielberg or anyone about the actual MAKING of the film.  historical things are interesting, but i dont think they justify leaving out any mention of how/why they made the film and the impact it had etc.
Dude, you missed the boat on this one.  Spielberg made it with the intention of no one forgetting the ACTUAL event.  As soon as you start doing a "making of" it's as though the event didn't happen.  Then so much of the relevence runs the risk of being lost to storytelling.  This was no story.
Classic.

Just Withnail

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

I wasn't originally...let's just say it is now.

cine

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

I wasn't originally...let's just say it is now.
... Do you absent-mindedly sit on your DVD cases?

Alethia

Quote from: Thrindle
Quote from: themodernage02all about the real guy/holocaust and nary a word from spielberg or anyone about the actual MAKING of the film.  historical things are interesting, but i dont think they justify leaving out any mention of how/why they made the film and the impact it had etc.
Dude, you missed the boat on this one.  Spielberg made it with the intention of no one forgetting the ACTUAL event.  As soon as you start doing a "making of" it's as though the event didn't happen.  Then so much of the relevence runs the risk of being lost to storytelling.  This was no story.

plus, the movie more than makes up for the "disappointing" extras.....

modage

i am perfectly satisfied buying a bare version of the movie just to have it on dvd.  but one must assume any movie that big historically/financially would only be a holdout on dvd because there is a great set of some kind in the works.  indiana jones, star wars, etc.  so, for us to have to wait this many years for them to get around to putting it on dvd without any making of stuff, well, sucks.  and could mean, like our old pal private ryan that we're going to be re-buying this in a few years when they get around to putting some real extras on there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.