Best DVD's Ever

Started by filmcritic, August 07, 2003, 10:07:45 AM

filmcritic

There are a lot of great DVD's out there so it's hard to pick and choose. My top 5 favorite DVD's of all time so far are...

Pulp Fiction
Magnolia
Hard Eight
Boogie Nights
Blue Velvet

It's funny that almost all of PTA's movies are on that list, but I guess he knows how to make a good DVD. I love the Pulp Fiction DVD because not only does it have great packaging, but also an hour long Charlie Rose Show interview with Quentin, the Siskel & Ebert show and much more. I love the "Blue Velvet" DVD because of the long documentary on the film with insight to David Lynch and also the Siskel & Ebert review. Many people wondered why they had the Siskel & Ebert show on there since Ebert gave it thumbs way down. After all, they didn't like "Reservoir Dogs", so the review was not on that DVD. But it was to show how some people loved it and some hated it. At least there are strong opinions about it.

What are your favorites?
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

When you say favorite, so you mean favorite bundle?  I'll assume so because picking a movie would be painfully hard.

I like Memento: Special Edition.  A lot of people were annoyed with it, though.  I like watching it in order with the 2nd disc, it's mainly for amusement, but I think al movies are.  Right?

The Pulp Fiction DVD was great because of all that stuff, and especially since it came with a Jack Rabbit Slims Menu.

That's all that comes to mind right now...too lazy to think of more...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SoNowThen

Contempt
Last Temptation Of Christ
Fight Club
Boogie Nights
Magnolia
Salesman
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop Festival
Three Colors Trilogy
8 1/2
The Royal Tenenbaums
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

Can it be beaten? Well... can it?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

NEON MERCURY

of  what i own:......

black hawk down 3-disk
lord of the rings 4-disk
the quentin trilogy(res., pulp, jackie)
fear & loathing criterion
8 1/2 criterion
blue velvet se
brazil criterion
memento limited ed..................this one is really cool
fight club 2-disk
frida
starw dogs criterion

filmcritic

Those are all great!

Why did they come out with a one-disk version of "Fight Club"? I mean, I own the two-disc version which is a million times better. With a lot of those DVD's, they came out on one disc and then moved to two. But not with "Fight Club". Two to one.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

ono

Quote from: filmcriticWith a lot of those DVD's, they came out on one disc and then moved to two. But not with "Fight Club". Two to one.
Not so.  The one-disc was first, then the S.E.  They ran out of S.E. discs and went back to the one-disc, then rereleased the S.E. just recently.

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: filmcritic

Why did they come out with a one-disk version of "Fight Club"? I mean, I own the two-disc version which is a million times better. With a lot of those DVD's, they came out on one disc and then moved to two. But not with "Fight Club". Two to one.

i heard that with certian fox studio disk such as fight club, lawrence of arabia, the abyss, close encounters of the third kind, big trouble in little china, et al....were going from two disk to one disk...if you notice those disks that i mentioned are only one disk now.the reasoning behind this leaves me blank though....if someone purchases these "new" one disks they get the exact features that were found on the two disks but only the first disk features(comm. tracks et al. )will be included on the "new" one disk dvds........then as of last week fox studios are suppose to be (re)re-leaseing the "old" two disk sets..........................srtange.................from 2-1-2-..............................what area code is that...........???????

Ravi

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
i heard that with certian fox studio disk such as fight club, lawrence of arabia, the abyss, close encounters of the third kind, big trouble in little china, et al....were going from two disk to one disk...if you notice those disks that i mentioned are only one disk now.the reasoning behind this leaves me blank though....if someone purchases these "new" one disks they get the exact features that were found on the two disks but only the first disk features(comm. tracks et al. )will be included on the "new" one disk dvds........then as of last week fox studios are suppose to be (re)re-leaseing the "old" two disk sets..........................srtange.................from 2-1-2-..............................what area code is that...........???????

Lawrence and Close Encounters were from Columbia Tristar.

Fox recently reissued some of their 2 disc sets that were released again as 1 disc.  Sound of Music, Cast Away, and The Abyss were among the titles.

A Superbit Lawrence of Arabia is being released in September.  This one was supervised by Robert Harris, who restored the film.  Gone will be the incorrect color timing of some shots and the overzealous sharpening of the first release.

The following are excellent:

Do the Right Thing (Criterion)
LOTR 4-disc
Ultimate Toy Box
A Bug's Life CE

filmcritic

Aw! I forgot about "Do the Right Thing" on Criterion! That's certainly on my list.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Alethia

punch-drunk love (a truly unique little package)
both pulp fiction and jackie brown are fucking great (reservoir dogs is not that good, the interviews are just stupid, that DVD was slopped together you can tell)
who framed roger rabbit?
almost famous: the bootleg version

ooh, and george washington: criterion

Find Your Magali

I'm a newbie, so my lists will give you an idea of my tastes, which run the gamut:

FIVE FAVORITE MOVIE DVDs
Vertigo
The Seven Samurai
Boogie Nights
Out of Sight
Monsters Inc.

THREE GREAT DOCUMENTARY DVDs
Salesman
Mr. Death
The World at War series

FIVE FAVORITE TV SHOWS on DVD
Sports Night
The Decalogue
The Singing Detective
Fawlty Towers
Band of Brothers

FIVE GUILTY PLEASURE DVDs
The Big Chill
Con-Air
It Could Happen to You
Lucas
Big Trouble in Little China

Pas

I like your nickname, your avatar and your movies ... welcome here !

Find Your Magali

Thanks for the warm welcome, Pas Rapport!

I think I'm going to dig it here.