Lukas Moodysson

Started by children with angels, May 21, 2003, 10:48:28 PM

Pubrick

so.. what drugs do you do?
under the paving stones.

w/o horse

None.  What kind of a response is that anyway. Etc balance of frustration and light heartedness.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Pubrick

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on November 15, 2005, 12:49:06 AM
Etc balance of frustration and light heartedness.
i don't know what this bit means.

in response to the rest, i think it was a serious question i've been meaning to ask. some of your observations beg the question. :shock:

you may be right about lilja, tho after seeing it once it had the same effect like Alexandro.
under the paving stones.

w/o horse

Quote from: Pubrick on November 15, 2005, 01:34:52 AM
Quote from: Losing the Horse: on November 15, 2005, 12:49:06 AM
Etc balance of frustration and light heartedness.
i don't know what this bit means.

in response to the rest, i think it was a serious question i've been meaning to ask. some of your observations beg the question. :shock:

you may be right about lilja, tho after seeing it once it had the same effect like Alexandro.

It means that I was frustrated but didn't want to pressure a response.

Sniffing glue in the list of simple pleasures was a joke.  Although, I have had my drug days, and know quite a few who still do.  Most of my observations stem from some kind of escapism I suppose, although it is the human condition which most disgusts and depresses me.  That's another topic.

Like I said, I saw Lilja with two other people, and both of them were equally touched.  One of them was never a druggy (is that really somehow related to enjoying this movie?).
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

matt35mm

Just saw Fucking Amal (Show Me Love).  I liked it a lot.  I think it's about as much as one can do with the teenaged lesbian love story (I also like Lost and Delirious a lot, even though that movie is admittedly ridiculous, whereas this is more... realistic, I guess).  There's really not that much more to say, since you already know the story.  Just imagine that story with fantastic acting (perfect casting), a great representation of teenaged life, and solid chemistry that keeps you involved throughout.  The DVD is crap (and the U.S. trailer is maybe the worst trailer I've ever seen), but of course that has no bearing on my grade.  B+.

EDIT: I also just found out that this movie outgrossed Titanic to become the highest grossing picture in Sweeden.  Or at least it was when it came out in '98.  Pretty neat.

Alethia

:yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup:  it's definitly a top movie.  one of the best of the nineties for sure. 

w/o horse

I saw A Hole in My Heart a bit back.  I know we should encourage artists to be daring and take risks but we should hold them accountable as well, right.  If that's not a contradiction, I'd like to say that I didn't enjoy A Hole in My Heart at all.  As a film, or a statement on filmmaking.  Not its characters, not the actions of those characters.

matt35mm

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on February 24, 2006, 07:33:04 PM
I saw A Hole in My Heart a bit back.  I know we should encourage artists to be daring and take risks but we should hold them accountable as well, right.  If that's not a contradiction, I'd like to say that I didn't enjoy A Hole in My Heart at all.  As a film, or a statement on filmmaking.  Not its characters, not the actions of those characters.
I've been looking into this film a lot, and this seems to be the general vibe.  I'm intrigued, though I have no reason to expect to like it.  Moodysson himself said that perhaps hatred was the best reaction to this film.  In an almost sick way, it sounds like he made a film about a subject that he finds despicable, and wanted to make a movie that people would hate to prove to himself how terrible the whole subject is... if that makes sense.  Maybe it doesn't.

Well, if he did intend for people to hate it (though, from an interview, it seems like he was striving for something that he couldn't quite explain), it sounds like a mission accomplished.  I probably won't rush out to see it, but I'd like to hear more reviews from anyone on this board who may have also seen it.

Pubrick

those two clips were very interesting, looks like Container will hav a resnais/korine thing going on..

sucks that you can't hear any of the questions being asked at the press conference, it's funny to imagine what was asked when his answer is "it's very small, it's nice." haha.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Quote from: Pubrick on February 26, 2006, 08:17:20 PMsucks that you can't hear any of the questions being asked at the press conference, it's funny to imagine what was asked when his answer is "it's very small, it's nice." haha.
probably about the possibilities to make decent movies.

Alethia

Just Withnail

Looks like the polar opposite of A Hole in my Heart, which was a hammer to the head of moral and visual shock - which I loved. It was a natural step along the trajectory pointed out by his previous three, only Moodysson seemed to have decided to skip ahead a bit. He really rendered me useless and I was completely reduced by it emotionally (just the way it should be). Container seems to carry just as much impact with it's much more gentle imagery, and that great voice over. I hope this has just as little plot as Heart did, I hope this whole thing is just a montage of this guy's life - which the clips certainly give the impression of. Maybe the frantic editing style of certain segments from his previous films gets a whole film for itself? Two short clips, completely out of context, and they lumped up my throat. I'm waiting for another fantastic effort from one of the few directors whose films aren't completely emotionally neutered.

w/o horse

Quote from: Just Withnail on February 27, 2006, 07:53:33 PM
Looks like the polar opposite of A Hole in my Heart, which was a hammer to the head of moral and visual shock - which I loved. It was a natural step along the trajectory pointed out by his previous three, only Moodysson seemed to have decided to skip ahead a bit. He really rendered me useless and I was completely reduced by it emotionally (just the way it should be). Container seems to carry just as much impact with it's much more gentle imagery, and that great voice over. I hope this has just as little plot as Heart did, I hope this whole thing is just a montage of this guy's life - which the clips certainly give the impression of. Maybe the frantic editing style of certain segments from his previous films gets a whole film for itself? Two short clips, completely out of context, and they lumped up my throat. I'm waiting for another fantastic effort from one of the few directors whose films aren't completely emotionally neutered.

I thought A Hole was emotionally neutered and frantically centered.  It was out of context, fatalistic, and histrionic.  There wasn't a shred of human behavior in the film.  Without ambiguity:  it was centered around a perspective of hopelessness rather than accounting for the people who are this film.  These people don't demonize thesmelves the way the film does, they don't hate their actions the way the film does.   The happy moment was a drunken party of pity and self-loathing actions.  I hate that when morality is the topic it's so easy to shed sensibilities.  Who are these people?  What do they think of themselves?  The film offers little answer to this, but commits to their sins from frame one and never ceases (it does begin with the son mocking his father, right).

Sensationalism.  I think.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on February 28, 2006, 04:07:15 AM
I thought A Hole was emotionally neutered and frantically centered.  It was out of context, fatalistic, and histrionic.  There wasn't a shred of human behavior in the film.  Without ambiguity:  it was centered around a perspective of hopelessness rather than accounting for the people who are this film.  These people don't demonize thesmelves the way the film does, they don't hate their actions the way the film does.   The happy moment was a drunken party of pity and self-loathing actions.  I hate that when morality is the topic it's so easy to shed sensibilities.  Who are these people?  What do they think of themselves?  The film offers little answer to this, but commits to their sins from frame one and never ceases (it does begin with the son mocking his father, right).

Sensationalism.  I think.

I'm guessing realism was the least of Moodysson's goals. What you describe aplty as a lack of human behavior was probably the point, but you forget the times where he slows down to show the few humane aspects left in these people - mostly towards the end (I only recall the bald guy's confession spesifically, the one filmed in nightvision). If I recall correctly (six months since I saw it), in this segment, he - at least - indirectly regrets his actions.

Heart is so unbelieveably intense and uncomfortable that it basically makes you feel like you're living these lives - does it need to communicate their inner thoughts any more than practically making them you own?