My film is on DVD!

Started by Ghostboy, May 11, 2003, 06:52:31 PM

Gamblour.

Man, just reading about this film has gotten me excited. I'm reading the production diary on your website, very fun to read. It's very inspiring to read about people going out and accomplishing what they want.
WWPTAD?

Bruce Lee

is that Michael Jackson in a surgical mask holding a baby?
if so, i want it.

Ghostboy

Blast from the past...

I felt like bringing this post up again because yesteday I watched 'Still' for the first time since...well, almost since I started this post. It hasn't sat particularly well with me over time. There's an awful lot I like, but certain parts really rub me the wrong way. Especially the score, which I never felt worked very well (as I discussed on the commentary track) but felt obliged to put in anyway. It was counteractive to the mood I was trying to create. And I remember how much I liked the initial rough cuts, which had no music at all.

Anyway, I was thinking yesterday about Altman, and an interview in which he was talking about The Gingerbread Man and how his instinct in making it was to use no musical score. He chickened out, and he says he wishes he hand't because it would be a better film otherwise. I realized I'm in the lucky position where I can still change things, so I went into the original edit of my film and removed the score and did some minor sound remixing on it. I don't know if I'll ever actually do anything with this version, but at least now I can look back on it without cringing so much.

I've sold about sixty or seventy copies of the original version on the DVD, and there are probably an additional 50 copies or so floating around as well. Just so you guys know, those of you who bought it, you have an edition that will never be seen again. If the film ever surfaces again for some reason (like an extra feature on some future DVD), it'll be the 'remixed' version I made yesterday. I wish I had stuck to my guns originally and given you all a much better version of the movie, but at least now I've learned my lesson.

ono

Did you write the score?  If not, who did?

Ghostboy

It was a composer who had scored a movie for a friend of mine. He did a wonderful job on that, which is why I asked him to do it - but we just weren't on the same page. Basically, I wasn't as sure of myself as I should have been. I kept asking him to make it 'quiet' and 'subtle;' subconsciously, what I was probably trying to tell him was that I really didn't want a score at alll.

Raikus

Keep us updated on the progress of this. I enjoyed the first cut a lot and found it extremely helpful on the guidance to approaching production and the production methods incorporated.

What's your plans for Still's future?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Raikus

What's your plans for Still's future?

It really doens't have any, at this point. It played at a few festivals around the country in 2003, and it sold more copies on DVD than I expected to, and that was the extent of its public run. I hadn't ever planned on doing much else with it (until yesterday). I've moved on to bigger and better projects - projects I definitely would have been unprepared for had I not this short film under my belt.

You know how you always look back on things you've done with the hindsight you've gained in the time since finishing them and wish you'd done things differently? Basically, with this sound remix, I've acted on that hindsight. I'm not going to re-release it or anything, but if it ever does show up again, I won't cringe so much when watching it.