Themes!

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 28, 2022, 08:28:56 AM

Jeremy Blackman

It's time to decide on a new theme! Currently the floodgates are open; you can try out all of the below. This is just for testing purposes. Eventually we'll narrow it down, choose one, and refine it. Post your opinions here!

Profile > Look and Layout > Current Theme

Default (Curve)
Envy
Type-R
Feather
Wide

wilder

I'm finding Type-R easiest on the eyes. Maybe could modify the alternating post colors to white/grey, instead of white/yellow.

The rest feel pretty aggressive to me, compared to what we've had before.

Jeremy Blackman

My current faves are Curve (Default) and Feather.

Type-R definitely up there too. It's very rectangular with a lot of sharp corners, though.

Wide - The sidebar seems unnecessary/oppressive.

Envy - Probably the worst one that I installed. It gets worse inside a thread. Spacing is bad. Quote blocks look terrible.

wilder

Yeah, Feather isn't bad, either.

Curve feels really busy to me, or maybe the color scheme just reminds me of mIRC or MSN Messenger. To me it feels somewhat dated.

Once a final theme is settled upon, will any of the others remain installed if we want to customize?

Edit - I'm noticing the post text size is giant or something on Feather, which is weird/not preferable. I really dig the simplicity of Type-R.

Jeremy Blackman

I was planning to force one theme on everyone, whatever our favorite is. But if there's not a major consensus, we could probably go with 2-3. It just takes more work to tweak and maintain.

I'm using Feather right now, and "Quick Edit" doesn't work. Unfortunate.

polkablues

It's definitely Type-R for me. Curves is too generic, Feather too bubbly. Envy has elements I like, but it falls apart in the details. I like that Wide is wide, but I fear that Wide might be TOO wide.

Regardless, we're going to have to spend some time working on the colors and icons and everything to make it feel like home. And I'm hoping we can replace the plain text title with a logo again (either the old one or we can figure out a new design).

Also, I'm hoping we can change the font that it uses for when you're composing posts, because whatever it is now is brutally ugly.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

QuoteRegardless, we're going to have to spend some time working on the colors and icons and everything to make it feel like home. And I'm hoping we can replace the plain text title with a logo again (either the old one or we can figure out a new design).

Also, I'm hoping we can change the font that it uses for when you're composing posts, because whatever it is now is brutally ugly.

Agree with all this. So it sounds like we want Curve and Type-R for sure, and maybe Feather.

Yes, we can definitely put a logo in the same spot. (I was just holding off for now.)

In Discord, @HACKANUT mentioned that he wanted to create a logo. We could probably come up with one that would work in all 2-3 themes.

HACKANUT

I'm more than willing to do a new logo! Beforehand tho, I'd like to make sure everyone has a chance to brainstorm ideas/give feedback.

wilberfan

The 'old' logo has something very powerful going for it:  Simplicity, and awesomeness.  The film reel incorporating an X is pretty perfect. Maybe it could get a polish--rotate it to emphasize the X, and/or...I don't know...a blue lens-flare?  :yabbse-grin: 

Having said that, I'd welcome New Logo Overlords, too.  Selfishly (and annoyingly) it would be awesome to work some kind of PTA reference into it--although I can't imagine how that would work.  Is there a simple, visual shape that represents the man, the myth, the filmography??  :ponder:  Something white:yabbse-grin:  Two tortured male avatars with crossed swords (there's your X)?  :lol: 

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilder on March 01, 2022, 08:35:43 PMMaybe the color scheme just reminds me of mIRC or MSN Messenger. To me it feels somewhat dated.

Although currently Curve2 iz my favorite of the bunch, I totally get that early '00s feel, too ~

HACKANUT

Would definitely want to keep the film reel "X" if we can. It's iconic IMO

Jeremy Blackman

I think this calls for a Hackanut/ @polkablues collab...

Jeremy Blackman

I disabled Feather. Too many problems with buttons not working.

Rooty Poots

Type-R gets my vote. It's not flashy or anything, just simple, clean, basic, and the more modern of the bunch.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Jeremy Blackman

Okay. Curve and Type-R are locks to become permanent. I'm not sure there's enough support for any of the others.