LP awards talk

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 17, 2021, 03:17:07 PM

wilberfan

Here's How Each Best-Picture Nominee Could Win an Oscar

"Belfast" and "The Power of the Dog" will probably face off for the top prize, but each contender has a path to other statuettes. We explain.

'Licorice Pizza'
Any best-picture nominee that also picks up director and screenplay nods is doing something right, but I'm a little surprised that's all "Licorice Pizza" has to work with. Previous Paul Thomas Anderson movies like "Phantom Thread," "There Will Be Blood," "The Master" and "Boogie Nights" earned plenty of nominations for their cast members, but the "Licorice Pizza" lead Alana Haim and its showy supporting actor Bradley Cooper didn't manage to punch through. None of the film's below-the-line department heads were recognized, either.

With eight previous nominations and no wins, the writer-director Anderson is one of Hollywood's most overdue figures to take home an Oscar, but he'll need a film with more across-the-board support if he wants a shot at best picture.

Likeliest win: Best original screenplay.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Drenk on February 09, 2022, 03:39:31 AM
Not that much for me.  :yabbse-grin: But Alana wasn't bad outside of a few forced lines reading, she was totally game.

None of her lines felt forced to me, but I also didn't necessarily think she gave a Best Actress performance. (Which isn't to say I think she gave a performance any more flawed than the Best Actress nominees, just that this wasn't exactly a character that required an Oscar bait-y performance.)
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Yes

alana is probably my favorite performance of the year and is a better performance than every Actress nominee. A near career low for Colman. Colman and Cruz.. fine.

Only few Lead performances approached Alana for me: Reinsve in Worst Person is one. Krieps in Bergman Island was great. Waterston in World to Come. Tilda was tremendous in Memoria but I think the 2nd half of that film is too much of a gear shift for that character.

DickHardwood2022

Quote from: Rooty Poots on February 10, 2022, 01:45:29 AM
Quote from: Drenk on February 09, 2022, 03:39:31 AM
Not that much for me.  :yabbse-grin: But Alana wasn't bad outside of a few forced lines reading, she was totally game.

None of her lines felt forced to me, but I also didn't necessarily think she gave a Best Actress performance. (Which isn't to say I think she gave a performance any more flawed than the Best Actress nominees, just that this wasn't exactly a character that required an Oscar bait-y performance.)

thats the thing though oscar baity performances SHOULDNT win. Alana gave a great performance that was saying " hey look at me we arent i great please give me the oscar".

Rooty Poots

I used the phrase 'Oscar bait-y' because I was sleepy and couldn't think of a more appropriate phrase at the time. Now it's morning, I'm under-caffeinated, and still can't think of the right phrase. But 'Oscar bait-y' doesn't really accurately reflect what I meant.

I'm fully on board that she's deserving of Best Actress nom. And she'd *probably* get my vote for the win, too. It just didn't seem like a performance that actually *would* win.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

DickHardwood2022

Quote from: Rooty Poots on February 10, 2022, 12:19:15 PM
I used the phrase 'Oscar bait-y' because I was sleepy and couldn't think of a more appropriate phrase at the time. Now it's morning, I'm under-caffeinated, and still can't think of the right phrase. But 'Oscar bait-y' doesn't really accurately reflect what I meant.

I'm fully on board that she's deserving of Best Actress nom. And she'd *probably* get my vote for the win, too. It just didn't seem like a performance that actually *would* win.

Oh of course it's not the type that would win. It will be Chastain  or kidman for their generic biopic 'look at me arent I amazing" roles.

Yhe only hope is steart wins for actually giving a more interesting performance  then those 2.

itwasgood

Drill

Do we dare get our hopes up a little?

wilberfan

Yes

Screenplay Oscar was always Branagh vs PTA.. but Belfast has underperformed everywhere. Next week is WGA but Belfast is not nominated because it wasn't eligible. So PTA should win that (pending an upset by King Richard), which might do it. I was worried of Worst Person stealing some highbrow votes but Belfast just seems too weak a contender

DickHardwood2022

Quote from: Yes on March 13, 2022, 04:21:49 PMScreenplay Oscar was always Branagh vs PTA.. but Belfast has underperformed everywhere. Next week is WGA but Belfast is not nominated because it wasn't eligible. So PTA should win that (pending an upset by King Richard), which might do it. I was worried of Worst Person stealing some highbrow votes but Belfast just seems too weak a contender

What do you think the films chances at critics choice tonight are ?

Yes

Quote from: DickHardwood2022 on March 13, 2022, 04:46:19 PM
Quote from: Yes on March 13, 2022, 04:21:49 PMScreenplay Oscar was always Branagh vs PTA.. but Belfast has underperformed everywhere. Next week is WGA but Belfast is not nominated because it wasn't eligible. So PTA should win that (pending an upset by King Richard), which might do it. I was worried of Worst Person stealing some highbrow votes but Belfast just seems too weak a contender

He should win Screenplay. I'd be a bit surprised if he lost it. He attended the ceremony instead of BAFTA and the critics choice are merely Oscar predictors
What do you think the films chances at critics choice tonight are ?

Yes

Nevermind PTA lost the Critic Choice

Drill

Quote from: Drill on March 13, 2022, 02:22:19 PMDo we dare get our hopes up a little?

I guess not.

Was he even there?