The Animation Show

Started by puddnanners, September 18, 2003, 12:55:25 AM

puddnanners

I just got back from "The Animation Show" presented by Don Hertzfeldt and Mike Judge (anybody else been to this?). Unfortunately I live in the incredible state of Missouri, so niether Don nor Mike was there (and looking in the program, I now realize that my city is one of the few that is getting the show but not the Don/Mike live.  suck!)   That aside, the show was funny AND hilarious.  The three new shorts by Don really stole the show, with "Intermission in the Third Demension" taking the prize as funniest (my city didn't actually give a prize like that)  SOme of last year's animated shorts that were nomitated for the academy awards were shown (Mt. Head and Das Rad) and after seeing them, I can't believe that the Chubb Chubbs won (read:  Chubbs Chubbs sucked in comparison)  Probably the most impressive piece was "Mars and Beyond", which was an excerpt from a Ward Kimbell disney animation piece from the mid fifties about what Mars is probably like (such as animals that use sound waves to kill other animals and animals that eat themselves)  It was beautifully animated, and makes today's disney films look like puke.  A real treat.  I highly recommened checking this out if it comes near you, and even if it doesn't come near you.   And according to the program, Don's full length film should be out next year!

Ghostboy

I might drive down to Austin next week to see this. I love Don Herzfeld's stuff, and from reading the interviews on AICN, I am really excited about this. Plus, from what Don said, the film version will be different from the DVD...i.e. this is the only time you're gonna see some of these shorts.

puddnanners

I think that the special "theater only" shorts were "Vincent" (Burton) which I think is on the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD anyway, and "Billy's Baloon" which we have all seen six thousand times.  But I have a feeling that the theater only shorts will change from city to city, with the bigger cities getting specialer shorts (you bastards)

RegularKarate

I hope to check this out soon.
It's moving from the closer Alamo to the further Alamo tomorrow, so maybe I should try to see it tonight.

Hey GB, if you decide to come down to see it, let me know...

Rudie Obias

"rejected" is my favorite!!!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff