Alien: Special Edition

Started by Ghostboy, August 29, 2003, 02:19:20 PM

edison

I saw a poster in a theater this weekend, but sadly it did not have the autograph.  :cry:

modage

i just watched this for the first time in years, so i didnt even notice what they had put into the film although my girlfriend pointed out the 'nest' scene was new.  WHAT A FUCKING MOVIE!  let me tell you.  the set design and the cinematography make every frame of this thing just gorgeous, not to mention what a great scary sci-fi movie this is in the first place.  i have a preference for the second one, although the first stands on its own as a classic film.  this didnt show up on too many xixax lists, so i think everyone needs to re-watch this thing too.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02this didnt show up on too many xixax lists

It was #31 on my list.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I saw the reissue on the big screen and was blown away, especially since I hadn't seen it before.  It wasn't dated at all, except for the computer screens.

modage

yeah, exactly.  we talked about that last night, that the only thing dating the movie is the computer screens.  its really amazing, you must've been blown away in the theatre!  they dont make too many movies as good as this one.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro

saw it for the first time ever in the theater with my dad.  we screamed like little girls.

ono

Spoilers possible.

Saw Alien tonight.  Was contemplating walking out throughout the first 40 minutes, and it takes a BAD movie to even get me to think of walking out.  The movie IS dated, if you ask me.  But that wasn't really my issue with it.  It was just so boring.  It did pick up after a while, so I'm thankful I toughed it out, but still, the whole experience wasn't really worth it.  My problem with the film is the whole premise.  You have to suspend disbelief for something like this, and I guess I simply can't do it, because I hate most all horror movies I stumble upon (I think Halloween is one of the worst movies I've ever seen).  I wonder why I keep coming back.  I guess it's morbid curiosity, and the dogged insistence that there must be some horror film out there I'll take a shine to someday.

The problem here is, because we don't know what an alien life form would look like, we have to imagine the most horrifying, perfect creature possible, when in all actuality, if there was life somewhere else out there, it is most likely that it wouldn't look too much different from us.  And so, the alien here was a joke; a nightmare blown all out of proportion.  The sets were just awful, which wouldn't be an issue except for the cheesy, laughable distractions they provided when we watch these scientific "readouts" fly across the screen and are actually supposed to mean something, not to mention the whole room covered with randomly blinking lights that serve no purpose.

The characters in this film have no character, and thus, I didn't care.  They were just pawns in service of a weak plot.  Only Ridley Scott's second film?  People say that like it's an accomplishment, but it didn't impress me.  There was nothing stylistically distinct about it, unless you can call low visibility a style.  Blade Runner, when I get around to seeing it, better be worth it, or it'll be confirmed (if it hasn't already been because of Gladiator) that Scott is a hack.  Best part of the film?  Sigourney prancing around in her panties near the end.  I can admire that this film had very minimal dialogue, and its pacing was nice, too.  And those, I guess, are the things that made this film "revolutionary."  That, and the usage of a female protagonist.  But she was hardly a hero.  She was just lucky.  And that makes her "heroism," and her lauded nature all the more questionable.  I don't get the appeal of horror films, and I don't think I ever will (thus, it boggles the mind how in the world I actually liked 28 Days Later...).  Some of the special effects were admirable, though some were clearly effects (baby alien looking around out of the guy's chest; you could clearly tell it was a puppet), but still it was that along with some of the shocking events near the end of the film that saved it from being a total waste of time.  ** (5/10)  And here I sit, wondering if that's too generous.

Pubrick

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaSpoilers possible.

Saw Alien tonight.  Was contemplating walking out throughout the first 40 minutes, and it takes a BAD movie to even get me to think of walking out.  The movie IS dated, if you ask me.  But that wasn't really my issue with it.  It was just so boring.
yes! i've been saying that all along..

ALIENS is the true masterpiece. the first one owes a lot to the second for being so good that it made it seem like the first was good enuff to compare.
under the paving stones.

Pedro

ono, it seems like you're having trouble appreciating the horror genre and accepting it's conventions....i would guess a problem you had with halloween would be the characters, and how often one dimensional they can be?  

well one of the conventions of the genre happen to be one dimensional characters...they are as you said, pawns to the story...it seems like some of your problems with the movie lie in the genre, not the film.  watch it again and try to accept it on a horror film's terms...and maybe then you'll appreciate it, but not neccessarily like it.

mogwai

i have never seen alien or the other ones (except ressurection). and when i have conversations about movies with my coworkers i bring alien up and they can't believe me. they see me as the movie geek who have seen every movie (which is bull). and since alien have been re-released on dvd and box set i've been thinking of buying it. i rarely go to the cinema and i doubt that they would send a reel to the city i live in. pfft. but i came across a mogwai interview where they compare their music to alien. let me explain without sounding like a goof, their music starts out really slow and it builds slowly up and BAM! it's feedback and white wall of noise and stuff. and they say it's the same thing watching alien where you can see the monster for a few seconds and you shit your pants. i don't know if you can see the er.. alien that much, can you?? so i'd love to hear if it's recommended to blind buy the whole box set.

Sleuth

You have the right idea about Alien, but none of the sequels
I like to hug dogs

modage

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI don't get the appeal of horror films, and I don't think I ever will.
you got that right.  damn, i dont even know where to start disagreeing. :cry:
Quote from: mogwaiso i'd love to hear if it's recommended to blind buy the whole box set.
the first one and the second one are incredible.  the 3rd and 4th are not.  you might do better just getting the first two seperately.

SHAFTR

Quote from: mogwaiso i'd love to hear if it's recommended to blind buy the whole box set.

I've only seen Alien, which I own (with interest in seeing Aliens).  Anyways, best buy has a 2 for $30 deal where you can get Alien & Aliens.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Aliens is incredible and one of my top 5 of all time.  you must watch it as soon as possible!

picolas

Quote from: P
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaSpoilers possible.

Saw Alien tonight.  Was contemplating walking out throughout the first 40 minutes, and it takes a BAD movie to even get me to think of walking out.  The movie IS dated, if you ask me.  But that wasn't really my issue with it.  It was just so boring.
yes! i've been saying that all along..
naw. naw. the long, drawn outness of Alien is partly what makes it the best one. it helps make people in space finding an alien a REAL thing. in most sci-fis, stuff moves fast and we don't spend a lot of time with people thinking. the pace and acting in Alien puts honestly real people in a fantastic situation. they're not "We've got a B-43 situation in the delta squad quad modrant, Captain Rodriguez!"-type people. i LOVE how they take their time to go.. "hey... fuck. it.. uh.. it-it bleeds acid!" that's just awesome. i'd do that if something bled acid.