Albert Nobbs

Started by MacGuffin, December 16, 2011, 02:46:09 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: January 27th, 2012 (limited)

Starring: Glenn Close, Janet McTeer, Mia Wasikowska, Aaron Johnson, Pauline Collins

Directed by: Rodrigo Garcia

Premise: A woman passes as a man in order to work and survive in 19th century Ireland. Some thirty years after donning men's clothing, she finds herself trapped in a prison of her own making.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

The trailer makes it feel really drawn out, but I promise this is actually a really engrossing movie.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

IchLiebeTisch

Janet McTeer was about the only bearable thing about this movie. It was extremely dull and I didn't think Glenn Close performed THAT well in this film. Also, Kick Ass and Mia Wasikowska weren't good at all.

Sleepless

It's slow moving, for sure, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who won't like this sort of thing, but I was engaged enough to sit through two projection issues when it screened at AFF last year. That was back in October, but the movies has stuck with me and grown in my mind since then, probably because I respond to the theme of someone having a dream and doing whatever it takes to make it happen. Is it the best film of 2011? No, but you do it a huge discredit in how you casually disregard it. I also disagree with you on Close's performance. It wasn't a loud, award-baiting performance like other nominated actresses I could mention, but there is just so much going on internally with her.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.