DO YOU STAY FOR THE END CREDITS?

Started by Stefen, November 30, 2010, 07:58:17 PM

Stefen

Be honest.

I usually don't. When I was smoking, I never did. I would go outside as soon as it ended. Usually through the first exit I could find. I hate dealing with people so I not only don't stay for the credits, but I sit in the last seat of the aisle so I can split ASAP. I really hate hearing what people say as soon as it ends. I always said I would stay for them when I quit smoking, but I usually don't.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Derek

Wouldn't stay for the end credits unless I was in them.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

MacGuffin

I used to all the time, but now it depends; usually wait until the crowd leaves. But if I hear some secret scene plays after the credits, I will.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Gold Trumpet

Unless I'm looking for something in the credits, I'm first one out the door since I am always in the back.

john

I try to always stay for the end credits, unless it's a film that I've dismissed completely by that point. If I've enjoyed the film, I'll give it the (admittedly imagined) respect of staying until the credits have finished... whatever music is used, credit font, etc. adds to my complete experience of the film.... especially when the credits end on a particularly great piece of score (like Magnolia).

It started when I was in high school. I worked at a video store in a small town run by a pretty enthusiastic old cinephile, visited (mostly) by people who could barely give a passing shit about film. He was one of the most active, knowledgeable film fans I'd known at that point, and every couple months, he'd drive to Hollywood for the weekend, or for a week. He'd see a bunch of films, either in limited release or in revival screenings, and come back to fill me in on what was worth his time and what wasn't.

Every time, he'd tell me about how, in Hollywood, you actually had audiences who stayed until the credits were over and theaters that didn't immediately raise the house lights as soon as the credits began. Then he would complain that, in our town, it was the polar opposite. Nobody gave a shit once the film was over. Nobody would sit there with any respect, or at least process what they just saw... they would just get up and flee the theater as soon as possible.

The more time I spent in Hollywood (or anywhere else, for that matter) the more I realized that was a pretty broad assessment. There are people who just don't give a shit about that kind of thing in any city, with any crowd - at film festivals or at multiplexes. It's kind of hard to argue that staying for the credits even indicates whether you're passive of the film you just saw or not.

I never stayed for the end credits before my boss made a point of it, but I started then and I still do now, a decade later.

SHORT ANSWER:

Yes.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The credits are the ideal time to get all of your clothing back on.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

john basically just pwned everyone in this thread.

I feel like shit now.  :(
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

Quote from: ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ on December 01, 2010, 03:54:28 PM
The credits are the ideal time to get all of your clothing back on.

lol

The New World & There Will Be Blood are last two i recall staying through the entirety of.

Stefen

haha, I would want to see a film with Walrus, for sure. I'm not horny or anything, but I just think it would be an experience.

matt35mm

I often do unless I need to pee or am with a friend (because they give me that "what are you still sitting there for?" 10 seconds after the movie ended).  I just like it.  It's a nice little 4 minutes to let the movie sink in a bit.

Stefen

Figure this is as good a place as any to ask, but last night I saw The Fighter and Black Swan in a double feature (review coming, but both movies kind of melted together in my mind so I may just review Black Fighter) and a friend of mine and I were talking about how neither of them had opening credits and we both got to thinking about how really no movies have opening credits anymore. This had to be something recent because I swear just a few years ago most movies had opening credits, but now it seems none of them do. Am I missing something here or has it always been like this?

children with angels

I'd say it's still pretty unusual for a film to have no opening credits - or at least, it'll be a conscious aesthetic choice that represents 'indie', 'arthouse', or whatever you want to call it. I'm fairly sure most of the 'mainstream' movies I see still have them - although now you've mentioned it I'll pay extra attention. The Social Network certainly had 'em. But it's an interesting point. I have a feeling it's probably been an 'art film' convention for a while. Maybe in the current moment it's the new pre-credits-prologue though - like Pulp Fiction's, which everyone seemed to copy for a while.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Alexandro

none of the lord of the rings films or the harry potter films have opening credits, other than a title card.
i think avatar didn't have them too.
others:
fantastic mr. fox
shutter island
where the wild things are
robin hood (?)
toy story 3
inception

they all have title cards but no real credits at the beginning. those films could be considered "art house" by some standards but most of them were commercial big releases. i don't watch summer popcorn fare too often but the lack of opening credits is a definitive trend of the last decade, specially in comparison with the late 90's where EVERY film had opening credits, a lot of the time just inserted over whatever was happening as the film began, in things like The Fugitive and alike...

Sleepless

Let's not forget, PDL didn't even have a title card at the beginning.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.