The Game

Started by Spike, September 07, 2003, 05:47:20 PM

Spike

To extend my David Fincher-DVD-Collection I ordered "The Game" today.
I read much about the film, but I haven't seen it yet.

So, what should I expect?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Find Your Magali

Quote from: SpikeTo extend my David Fincher-DVD-Collection I ordered "The Game" today.
I read much about the film, but I haven't seen it yet.

So, what should I expect?

Well, for starters, DON'T READ THIS THREAD.

This movie is best enjoyed if you go into it knowing nothing. So come back and post your thoughts after you watch, and then we can discuss it.

It's a worthwhile flick, that's all I'll say.

Spike

Well, thanks!
I'll come back to this thread when I'm finished watching it.

Banky

Find Your Magali youve posted like 142 threads in a month.  That is pretty impressive.

Gold Trumpet

Its also welcome. Few can claim better avatars than his. Such a pretty girl and the kind you want to get to know..........really.

~rougerum

Find Your Magali

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIts also welcome. Few can claim better avatars than his. Such a pretty girl and the kind you want to get to know..........really.

~rougerum

That's part of why "Il Posto" is so heartbreaking. Domenico succeeds at the hard part -- he breaks the ice and gets to know Magali, instead of putting her on a pedestal. ... But then the new job overwhelms him, and he is unable to follow through on the chance of romance. His priority becomes finding his place within a faceless corporation, instead of finding his happiness (or so we are led to believe as the movie concludes).

I guess the bittersweet theme of love lost in that film just hits home for me. I know I probably had my "Magali" in college, but I blew it. Ten years later, what do I have to show for it? 70-hour work weeks, two cats and a one-bedroom apartment.

Hey, wait, this is the Fincher board, not the Lonely Hearts column... Sorry

Spike

Okay, I just finished watching "The Game" and I don't know what to say. The film was da bomb! It was so damn well directed and the ending blew everything away! I really liked the ending, it's great.
What do you think?

ono

I thought it was okay.  It just jerked you around way too much.  It exhausts you and pummels you, and not in a good way.  Thought it would have some great insight into something or another, but it didn't.  It was just this empty thrill ride.  So if you like that type of thing, you like it.  The premise was excellent, and I guess that's why I was a bit disappointed with it.

Find Your Magali

I enjoy this film and especially the performances quite a bit.

But no matter how much I suspend my disbelief, I always get furious with the ending.

SPOILER

No matter how well-organized and all-knowing that organization is, how, how, how, how can they know that Michael Douglas will leap to his apparent suicide from that exact spot atop the building? I mean, if he jumps off just 10 feet in either direction, it's Splat City and their little game didn't work out one bit, did it?

So, I didn't mind feeling manipulated as a viewer, but I just felt it was too much of a leap of faith (no pun intended) to have him dive into the exact right spot at the end. Too perfect.

Still, as much as that spoils the movie for me, I enjoy and admire it.

Spike

Quote from: Find Your MagaliI enjoy this film and especially the performances quite a bit.

But no matter how much I suspend my disbelief, I always get furious with the ending.

SPOILER

No matter how well-organized and all-knowing that organization is, how, how, how, how can they know that Michael Douglas will leap to his apparent suicide from that exact spot atop the building? I mean, if he jumps off just 10 feet in either direction, it's Splat City and their little game didn't work out one bit, did it?

So, I didn't mind feeling manipulated as a viewer, but I just felt it was too much of a leap of faith (no pun intended) to have him dive into the exact right spot at the end. Too perfect.

Still, as much as that spoils the movie for me, I enjoy and admire it.

You're right. I also wondered about that. But I just can't spoil that great movie experience just because of this flaw, although it really bugs me.

rustinglass

It's my favourite fincher film, like magali said, I saw it knowing nothing about it and it was a cool experience.

edit:SPOILERS, HUGE about the ending.

How I thought was that unger was supposed to put him in a position where the nearst to the edge would be where e jumped. Any way the actor guy was supposed to push him. I think that, if he walked off in any other direction, some agents or hidden cables would prevent him from jumping. I also heard some theories that he really dies and the party is just an illusion or that what the movie is is the game as it was planned, not necessarily how it happened.

Either way it's a bloody good film and perhaps my favourite michael douglas performance, traffic is good too though
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mutinyco

Hmmm, Magali, I always thought finding that girl and settling down WAS becoming part of the faceless mass...

Anybody spot Spike Jonze as one of the EMS guys at the end?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Find Your Magali

Quote from: mutinycoHmmm, Magali, I always thought finding that girl and settling down WAS becoming part of the faceless mass...

(Returning to "Il Posto" discussion)

Well, most of us fall into the faceless mass, anyway. The question is whether or not we do it with a soul mate by our side. ... I don't see any reason at the end of the movie to indicate that Domenico was able to establish/continue his relationship with Magali. ... The opportunity, at least at the moment of the film, had passed by.

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Cecil

my interpretation of reservoir dogs is that mr. orange actually died in the robbery. the whole movie is just an illusion. now as you watch the movie with this in mind, youll see that it makes no sense whatsoever, making my theory correct

edit: see how nice guy eddie forgets his phone at the restaurant but later in the film still has it? proof that the film is just an illusion