Star Trek

Started by (kelvin), August 16, 2003, 02:07:47 PM

(kelvin)

I just wondered if there are any (former) Star Trek Fans around here on this board, such as as I am (was). I know, the films are crap, but I somehow always liked the series (i.e. the first three). Without the series, I guess, I would never have developed a serious approach to movies in general. Anyone who wants to share some nostalgic memories?

aclockworkjj

My old man was into Trek....I would never turn it on myself, but I got sucked into a lot of it simply cause it was just on the tv.  The movies are cheesy, but fun to watch...I am not sure if I understand the people who go to the conventions though...kinda weirdos.

(kelvin)

Quote from: aclockworkjjI am not sure if I understand the people who go to the conventions though...kinda weirdos.

That's true...but it's a common cliché. I don't know if it is justified, but liking Star Trek is commonly associated with being rather "uncool". cf. -->

Derek

I used to be a Star Trek fan....I still think The Wrath of Khan & The Voyage Home are not only great Star Trek Movies, but great movies in general. Star Trek really should be put to rest though, they went to the well a few too many times, and seem to have squelched any real imagination left. Nemesis truly sucked, I hate it when they indulge Brent Spiner in his vaudeville B.S.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

(kelvin)

I think ST was never appropriated for the big screen. Robert Wise did a good job on ST The Movie, but it just wasn't ST. It was like 2001 with William Shatner. (that thought makes me feel sick). Apart from that STVI and VIII were acceptable as action movies, but in general, they were rather poor.
In a 2 hour-movie, you simply can't develop the depth that the characters usually have in the series. I think ST has above all always dealt with the characters, not with space creatures or space ships. That's what made it interesting.

Derek

Well, its difficult to view how a Star Trek movie plays to a general audience if you're already invested in the series, but you're right about the character aspect, I think DS9 nailed it best in that department.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

(kelvin)

Yes, DS9 and also TNG had some wonderfully developed characters...and actors, of course. Just think of Patrick Stewart. But that was the weakest point of Voyager, for instance: I couldn't stand the series, because the actors were unbearable sometimes, except for Picardo and Beltram.