Stand By Me? Suck on this

Started by Ernie, June 11, 2003, 09:03:24 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: Sigur Rós
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesi was a kid when it came out, and well it was pretty fucking close

So you are saying, you raped that poor gurl?  :shock:

nope that was somebody else, but i did steal 40's a lot , ahhh to be young and in need of beer

jokerspath

This thread still bothers me...

Ebeaman, please back up your statement to why you think Stand By Me fails as a film.  Please try not to compare it to other films.  Thank you...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

dufresne

yes you are so right.  if i watched Buffalo 66 when i was 7 years old i would have totally been blown away.  :roll:

Stand By Me any day of the goddamn week.
There are shadows in life, baby.

jokerspath

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Ernie

Oh yea...sorry about that...missed it at first.

Um, yea...I suck at critiquing and reviewing movies...so I'll keep this short. I'll even pull a muscle and try not to ramble too much.

Honestly, there's not a whole lot I can say that other anti-fans of the movie have said but I'll elaborate upon it at least. Ok, above all, the kids are unlikable to me...mostly how mean they are. I mean, there's a lot of characters I like that are foul mouthed (I myself am) and all but what really got to me was all the hip (I guess) insults and everything. I mean, who am I to say that kids didn't really act like that in the 50's? I wasn't even alive then. But I'm not trying to attack its historical accuracy...I'm attacking how likable the kids are to ME. And to me, they are just as likable as the kids at my school...they fucking suck. The way they talk about fucking and everything reminds me too much of the kids at school. I can't stand the kids that talk too vulgar about girls. There's something I've never been able to get out of my head...I don't even know how I got it in my head, I didn't see it in a movie or read about it or anything...but somehow it got in there....let me get to the point...I can never get past the possibility that the girls that are getting talked about in such ways (verbally raped I like to say) could very well still be getting kissed goodnight by their fucking mommy and daddy. You know what I mean? Doesn't that scare you? I mean, that scares me. Call me sensitive but I fucking don't like it at all. And you can't tell me I'm SUPPOSE to dislike these kids...they're not villains...they're the good guys! They're the heroes! Well, I don't like them. Try to imagine watching the movie without any respect or liking for the kids...the main characters...it is impossible to like the movie as a whole.

Then there's the infamous vomiting scene...which isn't particulary gross (people throwing up in movies never has bothered me that much), it's just not funny. And it is a BIG BIG BIG LONG sequence, it's not just some itty bitty line or something...it's a fucking monster scene...it introduces a whole nother character it's so big. It's like the monolith in 2001 or something...only difference is...it's dumb. It's only revelant to the story through Gordie's "amazing" storytelling ability.

Last but not least...this is probably the most common bash the movie took...is its occasional schmaltz. It does drift into over sentimentality at times imo. I can't say this bothered me before it was brought up by other non-fans but looking back at it now...it does add a little to my disliking of it.

So, that's pretty much it. I do like Richard Dreyfuss. He was probably the one bright spot...he's a good actor...I have always liked him. Hope this clears it up a little. I know you weren't being a dick and I hope I didn't come off as one with this mini review. I know you just wanted a little backup on ALL that I have said and I hope I delivered.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanI'm attacking how likable the kids are to ME. And to me, they are just as likable as the kids at my school...they fucking suck. The way they talk about fucking and everything reminds me too much of the kids at school. I can't stand the kids that talk too vulgar about girls. There's something I've never been able to get out of my head...I don't even know how I got it in my head, I didn't see it in a movie or read about it or anything...but somehow it got in there....let me get to the point...I can never get past the possibility that the girls that are getting talked about in such ways (verbally raped I like to say) could very well still be getting kissed goodnight by their fucking mommy and daddy. You know what I mean? Doesn't that scare you? I mean, that scares me. Call me sensitive but I fucking don't like it at all. And you can't tell me I'm SUPPOSE to dislike these kids...they're not villains...they're the good guys! They're the heroes! Well, I don't like them. Try to imagine watching the movie without any respect or liking for the kids...the main characters...it is impossible to like the movie as a whole.

What version did you watch? I don't remember any talk of them wanting to rape girls and have their way with them. They talk about dick sizes and such, and if they did mention something like that, they are talking out of their asses. They are close friends. It's like here if I were to rib mogwai or Dirk. Do you actually believe that these kids would do such a thing as rape? It's fine to defend women and acts of violence against them, but this is not the movie to be your example of and take a stand against that. I don't think your personal opinion if fair to the film or characters. They are not what you think they are. If you don't like the film because the other examples, then that's fine, you're entitled to that, but you are making these four guys out to be Alex's droogs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffin
What version did you watch? I don't remember any talk of them wanting to rape girls and have their way with them. They talk about dick sizes and such, and if they did mention something like that, they are talking out of their asses. They are close friends. It's like here if I were to rib mogwai or Dirk. Do you actually believe that these kids would do such a thing as rape? It's fine to defend women and acts of violence against them, but this is not the movie to be your example of and take a stand against that. I don't think your personal opinion if fair to the film or characters. They are not what you think they are. If you don't like the film because the other examples, then that's fine, you're entitled to that, but you are making these four guys out to be Alex's droogs.

I could swear there's a scene where they're talking about a group of women or something and which one they would fuck. I could swear it was this movie, I know it was. I wasn't trying to imply that they would rape, no. I was just saying that they remind me of kids at my school that fucking just might. I consider them to be sort of retro, toned down...while still insulting versions of the kids at my school. And I'm very uncomfortable trying to identify with them and even more uncomfortable trying to sympathize with them. I know they're not the droogs but they're pretty damn insulting to me...I mean, they're kids...to me, kids aren't like that. As I said, there's kids in school that are like that, I'm not naive (I'm not going to pretend like they're not there) but that's just a group (a cult really)...that's a bad bunch of kids, the kind your supposed to avoid. The ones that do drugs and as I said, are or would-be potential rapists or criminals of some sort. I don't care for a movie that wants to potray kids like the kids in Stand By Me as heroes. Kids that age can be HORNY or IMMATURE (of course) or maybe a little GROSS...but for christ's sake, off set that shit with a FEW likable traits...I mean, come on...that's all I ask. I'm watching a movie here. I'm not going to the family reunion slapping a fake smile on my face while the little kids run around screaming and raising all hell from the ground up to my head and giving me a migraine. I want to be entertained. I gotta have at least a couple characters that are entertaining to watch.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanI mean, they're kids...to me, kids aren't like that.

Quote from: ebeamanAs I said, there's kids in school that are like that

:yabbse-huh:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Well, Ebs, I don't particularily like Stand By Me either... but some of that kid stuff you're talking about... you mean to tell me that you never shot the shit with a friend where you talked about fooling around with a hot chick? I mean, we all do it. And don't think the young girls are so inoocent either. A lot of EARLY teen chicks are hella sexually active. See that used to be my problem, I thought all the guys were bad, and the women were so pure, but now I realize they want all sorts of shit just like we do. I don't think that's the problem with the film. I think you hit the nail more on the head with the puking scene. It might be cool to some people, but it just strikes some of the rest of us as dumb, and not at all entertaining.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ebeamanI mean, they're kids...to me, kids aren't like that.

Quote from: ebeamanAs I said, there's kids in school that are like that

:yabbse-huh:

Well the kids I was talking about are 16-17...how old are they in Stand By Me? They're definitely younger.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenWell, Ebs, I don't particularily like Stand By Me either... but some of that kid stuff you're talking about... you mean to tell me that you never shot the shit with a friend where you talked about fooling around with a hot chick? I mean, we all do it. And don't think the young girls are so inoocent either. A lot of EARLY teen chicks are hella sexually active. See that used to be my problem, I thought all the guys were bad, and the women were so pure, but now I realize they want all sorts of shit just like we do. I don't think that's the problem with the film. I think you hit the nail more on the head with the puking scene. It might be cool to some people, but it just strikes some of the rest of us as dumb, and not at all entertaining.

Oh yea, I mean, yea...it's cool when it's just like "oh, she's fucking hot" or "damn, she's got a nice ass" or something...but there's a point when I do step out of the conversation when it gets too much for me. I mean, I'm VERY tame talking about women. I'm guess it sounds a little prude in that way but I don't know. I'm just very resistant. So like when they start talking about things that you just don't talk about unless you know the girl...that I don't care to listen to. Like talking about what they would DO to her and stuff...that can be a little much even. I don't know. I may be too sensitive with all that...I've been told that I am. But I don't think it's such a horrible thing to be sensitive about. It's naive either. It's just complicated.

SoNowThen

Actually, Ebs, I'm glad there's guys like you around. Maybe then some kids can actually stay kids, instead of turning into little fucking world cynics like so many do. It's just a sad fact of life that so many "kids" are fucked up foul minded pricks with not an innocent ideal in them. I was sorta one. Still am. Don't know what's worse. When I was naive I was happier, but always confused. Now, the more I know, the more horrifying absolutely everything about everyday is.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

snaporaz

Quote from: dufresneyes you are so right.  if i watched Buffalo 66 when i was 7 years old i would have totally been blown away.  :roll:

Stand By Me any day of the goddamn week.

haha. word.

this is a great thread. however, i don't see the logic that the picture sucks just because none of us have a similar real-life experience to share?

on a somewhat related note...i think one of the reasons i love kids so much was that [besides not being amazingly different from my adolecensce] was that not a single character in the film "found" themselves. no resolution whatsoever.

stand by me 100% @ rotten tomatoes

Alethia

while i will say that i really like stand by me, i will also say that the puking scene makes me cringe, not because its gross - no, its so over the top you cant think its gross - but because....what the fuck?

but i do think the movie is quite affecting, and i fucking love richard dreyfuss.

ono

Yes, but Richard Dreyfuss is hardly a plus for the movie considering he's in it for not five minutes, I'd say.  And ebeaman, I've gotta say, at first, I had a knee-jerk reaction to this thread, thinking "what nerve," you knocking this film and all.  I had just seen it, because there was something I was working on that was just barely, in the remotest way possible, related to Stand by Me, and I thought it was a good young adolescent movie.  But you've gotten me to reevaluate that, and look at my opinion of the film again.  Because you do raise a lot of good points which I tend to agree with.