Its been a long time....

Started by Duck Sauce, November 14, 2003, 01:35:40 PM

Duck Sauce

I never should have left you, without a dope beat to step to...

anyways guys, Ive taken an extended hiatus from seriously watching movies do to some burn out and my interest is starting to spark again... could you guys recommend me some DVDs to rent, most likely ones that were released in the last few months or so I havent seen... so yeah, load me up with the criterions and whatever else.

Thanks for (if) anybody responding

SoNowThen

Antoine Doinel box set from Citerion.

WhoooHooo!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

TheVoiceOfNick

Just wait till the Tati Criterions are released again... I reccommend you get those or rent them...

classical gas

Quote from: SoNowThenAntoine Doinel box set from Citerion.

WhoooHooo!!!

holy shit....when did that happen?  that's great

©brad

this sounds like a job for...

MACGUFFIN![/i]

Nahnahnahnahnahnahnah MacMan!
nahnahnahnahnahnahnah MacMan,
MacMan!
Mac-- ok I'll stop.

Duck Sauce

thanks guys, i knew i could count on you

Pas

You should rent The Matrix Reloaded ! It's pretty good you'll see !

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Pas RapportYou should rent The Matrix Reloaded ! It's pretty good you'll see !

cmon, be serious

who are you?

classical gas

i finally saw 'bowling for columbine' tonight.  i know, i'm late, and maybe you've already seen this, or heard many, many people talk about it.  but it was terrific.  love to see someone else other than the government doing a little propoganda work.  if they can do it, why not us.
also, 'bruce almighty' is coming out soon; never seen it; i'm a little afraid that it will be bad.  but if you're interested...

NEON MERCURY

.. i finally just saw this and thought is was interesting...Soderbergh's schizopolis.....out now (criterion)

Something Spanish

I dunno man, but here are some great DVD's I saw in like the last month and busted a nut over...

Some great classics from WB were recently released:
They Drive By Night: Raoul Walsh, man.
Yankee Doodle Dandy: Cagney dancing? oh yeah/
Treasure of the Sierra Madre: Dark Bogey.
Dark Passage: Darker Bogey.

All these should give you an appreciation of old fashioned Hollywood stories, but here are some cool fucking movies I think you should really check out...

Barfly: Such great writing (BUKOWSKI!) and moments of originality and plus Mickey Rourke gives one of the greatest performances of all time. Good, good, good time. It's a movie impossible to watch only once, you'll be drawn to it like fly to shit.
The King of Marving Gardens/Five Easy Pieces: nice double-header of character development oriented flicks.
Rumble Fish
One-Eyed Jacks
Bottle Rocket
Bob le Flambour: Especially if you are a fan of Hard Eight.
The Pope of Greenwhich Village: chemistry betw. Rourke and Eric Roberts is on point.
check out the Indiana Jones movies, if you haven't already.
And lastly, I'll leave you with the BRD trilogy from Fassbinder (The Marriage of Maria Barun, Lola, Veronika Voss). Criterion put it out a few months ago and the three films are really inspiring (helped me start writing my screenplay) if you want more, just ring.