Jon Stewart or Bill Maher

Started by classical gas, November 06, 2003, 02:57:16 PM

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on February 16, 2006, 09:31:31 PM
Quote from: pete on February 15, 2006, 09:07:47 PM
so cool.  astronauts...they're like the pinnacle of humans 'cause they have to be super smart and super strong.
but not super hot ..yet  :ponder:

Dude...

pete

you're officially my favorite poster on xixax.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Lets see an astronaut eat a cheeseburger.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

Quote from: Hedwig on October 19, 2005, 04:02:12 PM
Quote from: walruSDid anyone catch Bill O' Reilly on the Dail Show tonight?

Venom was spat!

Bill: You joke about things like hurricane Katrina.
Jon: Yes. I admit it.
Bill: You admit it! Listen everyone!
Jon: We do add insult to injury.
Bill: Yes.
Jon: You add injury.

Here.
Pretty funny. My favorite part is, "When are ya gonna start doin' that?"

i like the awkwardness at the end. "...i'm gonna hold up the book now."
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

squints

"I Don't know but i've been told...
Eskimo Vagina is forbidden by Allah"
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

I Love a Magician

I couldn't find a striahgt Daily Show thread but I wanted to say that the JFK Walkthon thing made me laugh more than anything on the show has in a good three months.

I Love a Magician

I think I missed that. I don't go out of my way anymore to catch the Daily Show like I do the Colbert Report. Still catch it 3/4 of the time though.

pete

god that snideness is annoying.  I hate it that there is this whole class of people in America who think they're in the only people in the world in possession of irony.  I just caught a clip of lewis black playing cute with Japan.  and then I saw the angry old dude at the walkathon thing.  this illusion that they're the only people in the world who "get it" gives them some sort of self-importance.  these are the folks that give liberals a bad name, because they belong to the same class as they people that they're mocking, but they believe that they're entitled to it just because they can get their laughingstocks to say ridiculous things.  their sense of humor isn't empowering, like chappelle's, because their anger lacks insight.  it's just people shaking their heads and politicians and smirking at each other.  it's people who render themselves powerless by labelling tragedies as the status quo and then not doing anything about it.  that's what the underdogs do, but there is this entire class people victimizing themselves just so they can appear righteous when they make their snide jokes.  it's like rappers playing up how hard they've had or o'reilly singing about his blue collar background.  that's what jon stewart and his audience (maybe especially his audience) are doing nightly.  they are making the rest of us as passive as the phony experts say TV would make us.
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I don't think I see that so much...

I haven't seen an episode in a while for lack of cable, but I find the show to have a great staff of writers, and they do pull off sarcasm and dry wit with ease, it's their forte.  Maybe I'm missing what insight they lack in the show, because I find it to be quite solid and very well timed.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

What Pete seems to be forgetting is that The Daily Show is, above all else, a comedy show, whose sole mission is to produce comedy.  All those other expectations were largely placed upon them by outside forces, and to some extent they've adapted to conform to those expectations (more in the interviews with the guests than in any of the other segments, which remain almost entirely farcical), but they're not seriously out to change the world.  They're out to make fun of it, which they do, impressively and extensively. 

Honestly, when people are expecting a comedy show to be a vehicle for political activism, it means we're either expecting far too much from our comedy shows or far too little from our politics.
My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

Quote from: Walrus on July 16, 2006, 02:07:46 AM
I don't think I see that so much...

I haven't seen an episode in a while for lack of cable, but I find the show to have a great staff of writers, and they do pull off sarcasm and dry wit with ease, it's their forte.  Maybe I'm missing what insight they lack in the show, because I find it to be quite solid and very well timed.
yes, but sarcasm and snideness get old after a while.

btw dude, what's this thing you've got in your signature? it's awesome. it's like, we can see what songs you're listening to at EVERY SECOND of every hour of every day of your life. i especially love when it doesn't load and it's just a big empty box beneath your posts. that's great! best sig ever. :yabbse-thumbup:

pete

Quote from: polkablues on July 16, 2006, 03:00:22 AM
What Pete seems to be forgetting is that The Daily Show is, above all else, a comedy show, whose sole mission is to produce comedy.  All those other expectations were largely placed upon them by outside forces, and to some extent they've adapted to conform to those expectations (more in the interviews with the guests than in any of the other segments, which remain almost entirely farcical), but they're not seriously out to change the world.  They're out to make fun of it, which they do, impressively and extensively. 

Honestly, when people are expecting a comedy show to be a vehicle for political activism, it means we're either expecting far too much from our comedy shows or far too little from our politics.

no, obviously I know it's a comedy show on comedy central, and that's the shield they always hide behind everytime something fails.  but their brand of comedy is only funny if you're one of "them", who thinks that they're in sole possession of irony in the world.  it's the same schtick--show someone saying something, cut him off, laugh, then maybe say something "black" afterwards, for a long while now.  I used to be into it, because it was easy to be lazy and think that they have this righteous, irreverent rage, and think that they make fun of "everybody."  but once I started thinking, once I started to become a bit more informed, and especially after I graduated when I started working with people who are actually victimized by the government, the media, and the big corporations, I realize most of what they say is just not that funny, because they can't go deeper than holding a serious face and then imitating their subjects, or maybe utilizing clever editing to get their subjects to say something "outrageous."
at the risk of getting pretentious, I don't think comedy is as simple as punchline then laughter.  we depend on it for more than that, ultimately, like any other medium, we seek satisfaction from it.  and when it's just people with straight faces uttering something shocking, that has nothing to do with their lives and never will, it's shallow and gets tiring after a while.  and occassionally, when they don't know when to stop ('cause how could they, they're just a bunch of rich white people, the only difference between them and the crass ones that they make fun of is they're culturally hipper), they become offensive as well.  a comedian, like a musician or just anybody in the world really who is trying to create anything, is most effective when his delivery matches his substance.  I mean isn't that why Richard Pryor is more potent than Dave Attel?  Dave Attel's got like one punchline every 15 seconds, and Pryor sometimes just tells a story or does a character for half an hour.  But Pryor's got truthfulness on his side.
- Buster Keaton

picolas

Quote from: Hedwig on July 16, 2006, 05:36:35 AM
yes, but sarcasm and snideness get old after a while.

Quote from: Hedwig on July 16, 2006, 05:36:35 AMbtw dude, what's this thing you've got in your signature? it's awesome. it's like, we can see what songs you're listening to at EVERY SECOND of every hour of every day of your life. i especially love when it doesn't load and it's just a big empty box beneath your posts. that's great! best sig ever. :yabbse-thumbup:
is that juxt intentional? if so,  :yabbse-thumbup:

squints

So Bill Gates was on last night. Pretty lame interview. The best part is when he scurries off stage at the end.

http://www.devilducky.com/media/57181/
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

Quote from: squints on January 30, 2007, 03:46:09 PM
So Bill Gates was on last night. Pretty lame interview. The best part is when he scurries off stage at the end.

http://www.devilducky.com/media/57181/
ha yeah what was up with that? the questions were so stupid.
under the paving stones.