Your First DVD

Started by MacGuffin, July 20, 2003, 02:51:06 PM

markums2k

Quote from: Marty McSuperflyFirst DVD was Out of Sight and I'll never forget the excited tingle that went through my body when the Universal title card appeared. I'd never seen a picture quality like it outside of cinemas. (You got to remember I was the first person in my circle of friends to buy a player, so up until that point I'd never actually seen just how good DVD picture quality could be. I'd never seen a laserdisc, so it was all new to me). I knew from that moment that I was going to be spending A LOT of money on DVDs in the coming years.

Stop stealing my life.  That was my situation EXACTLY.  Spooky.

So, if your first player was the Sony DVP-S530D, I'm gonna be freaking out.

Rudie Obias

PI.  it came free with my dvd player.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

ElPandaRoyal

GoodFellas broke my player's cherry
Si

Ravi

Quote from: markums2k
Quote from: Marty McSuperflyFirst DVD was Out of Sight and I'll never forget the excited tingle that went through my body when the Universal title card appeared. I'd never seen a picture quality like it outside of cinemas. (You got to remember I was the first person in my circle of friends to buy a player, so up until that point I'd never actually seen just how good DVD picture quality could be. I'd never seen a laserdisc, so it was all new to me). I knew from that moment that I was going to be spending A LOT of money on DVDs in the coming years.

Stop stealing my life.  That was my situation EXACTLY.  Spooky.

So, if your first player was the Sony DVP-S530D, I'm gonna be freaking out.

That's the player I have.  Got it in 1999 for $399.

TheVoiceOfNick

I think mine wasn't even a movie... it was like some training video for some audio system (pro tools, maybe)... first movie was Goodfellas I think.

Nick

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

NEON MERCURY

Man...it must have been -almost famous-...I found out alot about the dvd industry through this one disk(see below)

When it came out i thought that they would only release just one version but then year or two later out comes the three disk set ...i  learned about re(re)leasing dvds .....and how much $ the industry rakes in b/c or this. Very smart move for them :yabbse-thumbup:

Ravi

Quote from: NEON MERCURYMan...it must have been -almost famous-...I found out alot about the dvd industry through this one disk(see below)

When it came out i thought that they would only release just one version but then year or two later out comes the three disk set ...i  learned about re(re)leasing dvds .....and how much $ the industry rakes in b/c or this. Very smart move for them :yabbse-thumbup:

Which is why DVD news websites come in so handy.  IIRC there were rumblings about a longer cut of AF on some of these sites.

phil marlowe

i had larger pile with my player but the magnolia doc had the first spin.

Sigur Rós

My first dvd was Magnolia.

***beady***

My first one was Matrix. God that was 3 years ago I think now.
I'm trying to get a huge collection of manga on dvd at the moment. Hard to find the unusual ones on dvd.

markums2k

Quote from: ***beady***My first one was Matrix. God that was 3 years ago I think now.
I'm trying to get a huge collection of manga on dvd at the moment. Hard to find the unusual ones on dvd.

Do you mean manga, like, comic books?  Or do you mean anime?

My first anime DVD was... Lain, I think.  I can't remember.  It might have been Fatal Fury: The Movie, which is pretty sweet.  I sold it to a friend.  I need to pick that one up again.

Sorry to drive this slightly OT, but I highly recommend Patlabor WXIII - The Movie (Ultimate Edition 3-Disc Set) if you're looking for some unique new anime.  The extra DVDs are VERY entertaining.

***beady***

Well, I ment manga, but I do love anime too! My first dvd manga was 'Perfect Blue'.
I will definetly check out Patlabor WXII!!! In fact, I'm going to write that down somewhere in my room...

©brad

big fan of the series. i dunno, i like it.

markums2k

Quote from: ©bradbig fan of the series. i dunno, i like it.

Me too.  I bought the box set just for the special edition of Scream 2.  Liev Schreiber is the best.  It's too bad that Scream 3 was so terrible.  I blame Creed.