Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

Axolotl

Quote from: Sleepless on October 02, 2020, 10:40:04 AM
Here's the 70s horror collection now on Criterion Channel:

Trog (Freddie Francis, 1970)
The Vampire Lovers (Roy Ward Baker, 1970)
Daughters of Darkness (Harry Kümel, 1971)
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (John D. Hancock, 1971)
The Nightcomers (Michael Winner, 1971)
Dracula A.D. 1972 (Alan Gibson, 1972)
Images (Robert Altman, 1972)
Death Line (Gary Sherman, 1972)
Season of the Witch (George A. Romero, 1972)
The Crazies (George A. Romero, 1973)
Don't Look Now (Nicolas Roeg, 1973)
Ganja & Hess (Bill Gunn, 1973)
Sisters (Brian De Palma, 1973)
Theater of Blood (Douglas Hickox, 1973)
The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy, 1973)
Black Christmas (Bob Clark, 1974)
Deathdream (Bob Clark, 1974)
It's Alive (Larry Cohen, 1974)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Tobe Hooper, 1974)
Shivers (David Cronenberg, 1975)
The Tenant (Roman Polanski, 1976)*
The Witch Who Came from the Sea (Matt Cimber, 1976)
The Hills Have Eyes (Wes Craven, 1977)
Rabid (David Cronenberg, 1977)
Coma (Michael Crichton, 1978)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Philip Kaufman, 1978)
Long Weekend (Colin Eggleston, 1978)
The Brood (David Cronenberg, 1979)
The Driller Killer (Abel Ferrara, 1979)

Also, has anyone seen Antebellum yet? Thoughts?

Yes thank you so much sleepless. Just watched texas chainsaw massacre for the first time because of your list. Made me realize what a massive blindspot not having watched it already was and I'm glad i finally addressed it.

WorldForgot

Is it annoying if somebody points out it's got a space in between? 
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre?
I like that about it...
Also, obviously a perfect film, I think Reelist and I have adored it in the shoutbox before.

Reel

I never noticed, thanks! Chains also play a role

WorldForgot

CinematicVoid'z
Cinemadness Halloween Special

music and 3 vampire flicks, including Walter Hill'z MESSIAH OF EVIL cameo

WorldForgot

jenkins

that's cool aside from eaten alive, which is older, it's contemporary agfa. movies like that under the right circumstances can really calm me. they're just so you know their own thing

WorldForgot

AGFA iz so neat. Would love to meet people that work there.

jenkins

one of the guys used to work at cinefamily and in fact is like a main opponent of fairfax cinema (the owners in general) here's his linkedin profile from when i google fact checked

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bret-berg-637a484b

he's a sweetie you know i mean they're internet people of course they are. it's accurate to say that fringe dwellers live on the internet instead of reality these days you know

WorldForgot

Interesting! Whoevers combing their reel archives and scanning all that, that's like treasure diving ish to me.

Quoteit's accurate to say that fringe dwellers live on the internet instead of reality these days you know

Very ~

WorldForgot

Really adore both these movies. I've got Ripper on 'Blue Underground' but just now making my way through City of the Living Dead and The Beyond. Much has already been written about The Beyond -- both these films are on Amazon via Showtime (City of the Living Dead might be straight up Prime Video rn in the States?) If you xixax search The New York Ripper on here GhostBoy's got an opinion. Don't look it up if you haven't seen it -- there's spoilers in the post. To be sure, Fucli movies are gross. Mayhaps Devil's Honey isn't, that sax so sweet. 

I think that film's beautifully abstract (tho telegraphed as a procedural in comparison to the scattershot moves in City of the Living dead) - cartoonish where Angst (1983) has a wiener dog yes that one has a duck of sorts. New York Ripper plays like a feminist poem akin to I Spit On Your Grave, lipstick, cartoon, subway desertion, x rated stage shows and sublimation via spouse-tape alieanation.

It's tough to pack movies the way Fulci does - gels grindhouse logic in tandem with psychological elementz.

Robyn

Not sure why I haven't heard about Pulse until recently, but it is probably one of the best horror films I have ever seen!

Wátched it with two friends, and we all agreed that it does horror perfectly. We all thought it was one of the scariest things we've seen. Not only that, but it is also genuinely good and well-made.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Robyn on January 10, 2021, 06:23:18 AM
Not sure why I haven't heard about Pulse until recently, but it is probably one of the best horror films I have ever seen!

Japanese flick from 2001 or its Amerian remake counterpart?

Robyn

The Japanese one!

Robyn

The Beyond looks interesting, but the mandatory question... is it safe to watch alone?

jenkins

Ringu is a movie about someone watching The Beyond alone