David O. Russell

Started by Ernie, February 18, 2003, 11:15:52 AM

UncleJoey

Quote from: StefenI dont think people really give a shit about what filmmakers do. You could molest a little tiny baby boy and then make Jeepers Creepers and people would still see it. Aside from involving urine, I don't see how she could ruin his career.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I mean, you can rape a 13 year old girl, flee to Europe and still win an Oscar. As long as your work is strong, nothing else really matters much.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

matt35mm

Quote from: UncleJoeyI mean, you can rape a 13 year old girl, flee to Europe and still win an Oscar. As long as your work is strong, nothing else really matters much.
Hey man, it was CONSENTUAL!

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Vince Vaughn Joins New Comedy
Source: Variety April 1, 2005

Variety reports that Vince Vaughn has joined a new comedy from David O. Russell. Russell will write and direct the film for Universal Pictures:

Vaughn will play the wiseass host of a radio call-in show whose life gets turned upside down when he starts becoming his callers.

Russell started with a pre-existing U script by David Cohen and Tony Lord but changed it dramatically. Russell and U are developing the pic as a commercial laffer, which will likely get a far wider release than his previous comedies, "I Heart Huckabees" and "Flirting With Disaster." "This ain't no 'Huckabees'; there is no question, this aims to be more accessible," Russell said. Russell said his original intention was solely to take a page one rewrite job offered him by U vice chairman of worldwide production Mary ParentMary Parent and veepveep Damien Saccani. Russell changed his mind by the time he'd finished.

"I was so tickled by it, I thought, Gee, maybe it would be fun to make this," he said.

As opposed to some of Russell's more quirky and independent fare, the movie is designed to be a big, commercial comedy with his "sensibilities," Russell said.

Russell, who met Vaughn for the first time at the Festival de Cannes in 1996 when the director was promoting his "Flirting With Disaster," said the actor follows in the tradition of a certain type of humor.

"There's Walter Matthau, there's Bill Murray and there's Vince Vaughn. I think it's a certain lineage of comedians," Russell said. "The guys are funny being who they are. They don't put on some kind of broad character, usually. It's very natural, it's very authentic. It's maybe a little bit depressed, but in their depression or their groundedness, they're funny. It's not like they're a drag to be around; they're funny in their depression in some way. I would say Vince is a bit more manically entertaining."

Russell said that the movie has roles for two female comedians as well as a female "discovery role."

An early fall start date is being eyed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Russell Teams with Lieb for FX Dramedy
Source: Variety

David O. Russell is tackling television for the first time, teaming with Josh Lieb ("The Simpsons") for an hourlong dramedy set up at FX via Sony Pictures Television.

Pariah partners Gavin Polone and Jamie Tarses will executive produce the untitled project, a sort of "Upstairs, Downstairs" set in a Los Angeles country club. Russell (Three Kings) is set to direct the pilot; he'll co-write and executive produce with Lieb.

Tarses said the Russell-Lieb concept "takes the idea of a traditional soap opera and turns it on its ear" by using the setting of a country club to explore the idea of class in America.

"It's David O. Russell, so it's very funny, but underneath it all are very real issues about the American dream, what it is and how does money equate to happiness," Polone told Variety.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 18, 2006, 01:40:38 AM
Josh Lieb ("The Simpsons")

Wtf? He co-wrote like 1 episode.

I hope showcase or something picks up the show for Canada so I can see Russel's work on a weekly basis.

MacGuffin

Pair team for teen comedy
It's 'All About' Russell, Blum
Source: Variety

David O. Russell and Jason Blum are teaming to produce teen comedy "All About Me" for New Line.

Script will be penned by actress and tyro scribe Jenna Lamia.

Story revolves around a high school student in the drama department who wants to be famous -- and will do just about anything to get there.

Tracy Underwood at Blum's Paramount-based Blumhouse Prods. exec produces.

Among his projects, Russell is tackling television for the first time, teaming with Josh Lieb ("The Simpsons") for a hourlong dramedy set up at FX via Sony Pictures Television.

Though still early in the development process, TV show is described as an "Upstairs, Downstairs" set at an L.A. country club. Russell will direct the pilot, which he'll co-write and exec produce with Lieb.

"All About Me" reunites Russell and Blum, who are producing "Rex Mex" for Par.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grifpo

Maybe you guys have already seen this...if not, then you're in for a show.
On What Would Tyler Durden Do dot com (www.wwtdd.com)
There is an article headlined, "Hollywood is a Magical Place" with a video of an on-set verbal argument between Lily Tomlin and David O. Russell on the set of Three Kings. He ends up pushing over a light, kicking the desk, and throwing papers everywhere.
Sorry if everyone has already seen this and I'm just behind.
And, for the record, I understand movie making is stressful work.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

©brad

Quote from: grifpo on March 20, 2007, 01:17:09 AMAnd, for the record, I understand movie making is stressful work.

no more stressful than any other job. and that's no excuse.

grifpo

it's far more stressful than many other jobs. but still less than others. surgery seems like it would be.

hedwig

one time my surgeon called me a fucking cunt.

polkablues

Quote from: Hedwig on March 22, 2007, 07:46:36 PM
one time my surgeon called me a fucking cunt.

Shouldn't have killed his mom, dude.
My house, my rules, my coffee

grifpo

Quote from: squints on March 20, 2007, 02:23:18 PM
http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=5490.msg241502#new

BAM!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I posted the David O. Russell/Lily Tomlin flipout story/video first, right?
Yeah, sure, ok. I only have 3 posts so far...wait 4 posts, I'm low on the xixax ladder, but the BAM is unnecessary.
Doesn't the guy that posted the story after me deserve the BAM?

ono

Quote from: grifpo on March 22, 2007, 09:23:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I posted the David O. Russell/Lily Tomlin flipout story/video first, right?
No.

First instance: http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=5490.msg241452#msg241452

You'll be hard-pressed to scoop mac or mod, so don't take it personally.