does hollywood typecast music video directors?

Started by md, May 18, 2003, 02:37:58 PM

md

with the exception of like fincher or spike...does hollywood have a tendency to typecast music video/commercial directors...
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

godardian

I don't know... some have had a tendency to typecast themselves by retaining their vid/ad style even when it's not well suited to whatever feature they're working on...

I'm thinking of the Scotts, Lyne, and Guy Ritchie, in particular. Throw out some names.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Xixax

Phil Joanou?

"Entropy" was pretty great, and he slipped in cameos with his U2 buddies.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

md

if a music video director, who directs overly commercialized music videos, that are not original but does it because that is what the demand is, actually has talent...will he be typecasted within hollywood as only being able to direct very commercialized feature length films...
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mdif a music video director, who directs overly commercialized music videos, that are not original but does it because that is what the demand is, actually has talent...will he be typecasted within hollywood as only being able to direct very commercialized feature length films...

Perfect example is that dude who did Belly....Hype Williams?  (Is that right?)...although I would not consider it a bad movie, just out of my taste...it is exactly like any of his videos...but then again, that's probably what everyone wanted...

meatwad

hype williams actually has some style. I bet if you threw a good script at him, he could make a really good film

//www.thestate22.com

Keener

Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Newtron

Chris Cunningham may prove to the the illest after Neuromancer comes out.

No doubt the best music video directors are doing great things for cinema, so if being groundbreaking is a 'typecast', then, shit... need I finish this badly structured sentence?

aclockworkjj

I liked The Cell....There was camera movements in there that were just unreal....very cool...

Quote from: Meatwadhype williams actually has some style. I bet if you threw a good script at him, he could make a really good film
Yeah, I liked the whole Black and White (but being filmed with color...is that making sense?) thing in Belly...I like his visual style....

meatwad

pabst blue ribbon! i love crackin open a pbr on a saturday night

jenkins

please list examples of movie directors who started as music video directors

inspired by watching belly again, and i agree with meatwad that hype williams has some style

Hype Williams
Belly

Joseph Kahn
Torque
Detention

The Directors Label Series:
Mark Romanek
Spike Jonze
Anton Corbijn

Stephane Sednaoul (0 movies)
Michel Gondry
Jonathan Glazer

Chris Cunningham (shorts)

David Fincher
Tarsem Singh
Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris

Garth Jennings (formerly Hammer & Tongs)
Son of Rambow
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Richard Ayoade (special mention, tv overlap of course)
Roman Coppola (his family is helpful?)
Jonas Ã…kerlund

Floria Sigismondi
The Runaways

Francis Lawrence
Constantine
I Am Legend
Water for Elephants
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

please remind me of the ones i'm forgetting and tell me about ones i never realized

MacGuffin

Michael Bay
Gore Verbinzki
Marc Webb
Samuel Bayer
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

^hell yeah

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 23, 2014, 08:35:16 PM
Samuel Bayer

he especially is so interesting to me. all kindsa videos and one movie: a nightmare on elm street (remake). can spot the reasons for hiring him, but i'd like to rewatch the movie and spot his skills. and i just didn't guess that i'd ever wanna rewatch that movie. but you know, next month is october...

pete

Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris
Little Miss Sunshine
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton