The Road

Started by MacGuffin, August 07, 2008, 12:16:58 PM

Gamblour.

Yeah, that was a pretty awful trailer, but it was awesome to see more images from the film. I had no idea Guy Pearce or Robert Duvall were in this, that's very exciting.

I know that this film is going to be what I want it to be for one reason: in the Proposition, there are these images of people standing with their backs covered in flies. I'm kind of obsessed with them, even though I only saw that film once. They represent for me Hillcoat's sort of acceptance of a bleak world and his ability to present that, with empathy.
WWPTAD?

Pozer

it's w/out a doubt a studio trailer with Weinstein images and lousy newscast explainings at the forefront that won't be in the movie, but it's what was expected. it's got enough precise images from the book in there that meet expectations. i too hope we'll see a straight up Hillcoat one though.

Gamblour made me wanna watch Proposition again.   

squints

Venice film festival: The Road

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/film_reviews/article6820855.ece

"Two elements let the film down. First is a voiceover from Mortensen, which is a little heavy on the explication for my tastes. Second, and more serious, is the laboured score (co-written by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis). We know that it's sad that the last children on Earth are starving and scared. We don't need a musical signpost to tell us so.

It would have been better to have no music at all, and let the story play out to the accompaniment of the groans of the dying planet."

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

matt35mm

The review is still really positive.  So I'm excited again!

Pozer

MacGuffin

'The Road' going wide Nov. 25
New date puts pic in competition with 'Nine'
Source: Variety

Dimension is putting "The Road" into theaters Nov. 25 with a wide release of 1,200-1,500 engagements.

"We've been getting great audience reaction at Venice and Telluride," Dimension topper Bob Weinstein said. "We feel that this is a commercial film that's worthy of a wide release."

Weinstein said the Thanksgiving date was selected in order to position the Cormac McCarthy pic in a slot prior to the Golden Globes nominations. "The Road," directed by John Hillcoat and penned by Joe Penhall, is based on McCarthy's novel about a father and son in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Viggo Mortensen stars.

The Nov. 25 bow for "The Road" will put it in competition with another TWC awards hopeful -- the musical "Nine," directed by Rob Marshall and starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Kate Hudson, Nicole Kidman, Sophia Loren and Judi Dench. Other pics dated for Nov. 25 are Disney's comedy "Old Dogs" and Warner Bros.' "Ninja Assassin."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

i watched the trailer for this last night on youtube and had nightmares. end of the world shit, but with no viggo.
who likes movies anyway

cine

2:03 of the trailer is the most commonly used shitty scream sound effect. i laughed when i heard it. why do people actually use that sound???

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on September 16, 2009, 02:11:54 AM
The Howie scream!

If you're referring to the scene in Broken Arrow when Howie Long is kicked out of the helicopter, or whatever, I think we're fucking soul mates.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Yep, that's where it got it's name, though it's not clear if actually originated there or not.  It's a stock sound effect that's been used in a ton of places, mostly video games.  And, as Cine points out, it's a truly, hilariously awful scream.

pete

you're not talking about the wilhern scream?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Different screams.  Here's a youtube video where someone compares the Wilhelm scream to the other one:

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

yeah, but where's the real poster?